Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Newby here

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Newby here

Just wanted to say hello. I just found out today that I was accepted to the local fire academy. So I guess my jouney starts here. I will just say thanks for the info upfront because Ill be asking alot of questions.

Welcome aboard and congrats on being excepted in the academy. Shoot away with your questions. Just remember....there are no dumb questions..............

scratch that. There are dumb questions. We just can't agree on what they are here in this forum
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you. One question that I do have. I have been watching PCF drills for the past month, and doing anything I can as far as voulnteer work if needed. After the academy is finished, there are other certs that I want to get ,I dont want the bare minumim when I start checking out stations. The PCF camp would like a 2 year comitment. What would be the best rout? Finish school and apply for seasonal, or apply for a PCF position and be there for 2 years. I know that I would get valuable training as a PCF but it seems that if I got hired on as a seasonal I should take it. Any thoughts, thank you.

Not sure what PCF stands for (maybe Paid on Call Firefighter?). But if you were accepted to the academy and they would like a two year commitment, (
    and if they are paying for this academy),then I would look into giving them a two year commitment. I would not worry about other certifications for now. You should come out of the academy with at least Firefighter I & II.

After your academy, then I would look into Hazmat Awarness & Operations. Then there is the medical certifications. Whether it be EMT- Basic or Paramedic, one of these would be helpful. Of course the "seasonal" gig would be nice because this gives you experience in the field, which is a big bonus.

You are just getting started, so right now, just worry about learning as much as you can from your academy. Good luck.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Thumbs up Good Luck

Congrats, and good luck.

DOn't forget to go to your 1st union meeting!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you. Yes the PCF is a paid call firefighter, they run a different academy than the one I got into. Im just going to embrace the opportunity and do what ever Im told to do. What Ive heard before eyes open mouth shut.

Forum Member

hello from philadelphia pa good luck

Thread Information