MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help for the sled

Hello, all. There are two females in my recruit class that are struggling with the kaiser(keiser?) sled, during work performance. They're both about 5'3", or 5'4". One is trim, the other one is somewhat more muscular. I'm trying to think of ways to train the muscles needed to pound the sled with more power. Fatigue and metcon doesn't seem to be a problem for the smaller recruit, just upper body strength, in general. The more muscular recruit appears to lack anerobic conditioning, as well as power, while hitting the sled. We can work on technique. I'm just asking for some potential solutions to be utilized in the gym. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Default Sled

More qualified people will chime in shortly...but here are a few suggestions.

Have them (if available) try CrossFit. Great workout, very relevant to the fire service. Check out their website: http://www.crossfit.com

Also, they could always buy an 8lb sledge, swing by a tire store and grab a few tires slated for recycle. Slam them around with the sledge, throw some dumbells in the tube for added resistance. Follow up with Dr. Jen (or on the crossfit message boards) for proper ergonomic technique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Call!

I love Cross Fit stuff! And I never get bored with it!

Another idea: go here
    And scroll down until you see the stick figures. Read just below the second one, where it starts talking about Ax chop/Sledge hammer stuff. Same thing.
    This exercise with the Pulley machine in the gym works great for maximizing keiser sled work.... as seen in the Biddle.

Have fun!

Dr. jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

This link, http://www.iub.edu/~firefit/index.shtml?n1=home , is to a project at Indiana University. It was funded by an Assistance to Firefighters Grant. I think it was a one million dollar grant. They have been studing stress, fittness, and conditioning in the indianapolis F. D., for some time. Dr. Brown, and his group, began a study of a small volunteer department near here. It is the hometown department of Dr. Brown. It has received a lot of local press and sounds like they are working hard to develop optimum firefighter fitness training methods.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you, everyone, for the prompt and informative replies. I'll relay the info.

Forum Member

Try kettle bell swings.
    Matthew Pullen
    Firefighter
    Levittown Fire Company No.1
    www.levittownfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. I should have realized that swings involve the same hip motion as hitting the sled.

Forum Member

edpmedic.....tell beilstien he needs to pick it up a notch on the run, or they are gonna ship his slug-butt back to toledo!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey hey, at least he didn't vomit, like half the class. I've got three months to torture him, if need be. I thought that the Ohio bus only goes one way!
    Last edited by edpmedic; 06-27-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

Wink

He is a good guy. I love the area that you all cover. Way better than Maryland
    Last edited by skiwiz6; 07-20-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Thread Information