Forum Member

Default The worst PR possible, please shut up

Right now (8 p.m. on the east coast) FOX t.v. is airing their show Moment of Truth. If you are unfamiliar with it, it is a game show that consists of the contestants first taking a lie detector test and then being asked tough questions in front of the audience to see if they are lying. If they tell the hard truth they win money, if they lie, they go home and their reputation is still damaged. Tonight's guest include a male EMT who is being asked such great questions as have you ever inappropriately touched a female patient, have you ever falsified a report, and do fat people repulse you. Another of tonight's guest is a female firefighter who is asked such great questions as has she ever ignored a call. As a young person I can understand the feelings of wanting to be on t.v. and make a quick buck, but how stupid do you have to be to go on national t.v. and say things that could lower the publics trust in you, your department, and damage your career?

Forum Member

His response to "Have you ever knowingly falsified a report?" Yes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw a commercial for that. I don't watch that kind of stuff. I like shows where the men in blue give the smackdown

Forum Member

Unfortunately for us, millions of other people do.

To be hoenst, i half expected this sooner or later, once hearing of this show. The fun thing about some of the questions, is that there are so many ways to interpret them it's not funny. I mean, have i ever touched a patient more than was necessary? Does that count a measured, reassuring touch to help calm them. It wasn't necessary for life saving patient care. The answer could be yes, and it doesn't mean i groped a drunk sorority girl in my rig. That's what the show's aim is though, to make it seem like it's a grope fest in the patient compartment.

Though there are some like, have you ever knowingly falsified a report, that's just bad.

All in all, I don't see this really affecting us in one way or the other. I highly doubt anyone will remember this tomorrow, or even past 9 o'clock tonight.

Though I do still remember the woman, who admitted first, she didn't love her husband, and wanted her ex to be her husband instead, and then, that she's been sleeping with other guys for their whole relationship, and really doesn't care. I felt for that guy. It's bad enough if that happens in the privacy of your own home life, but on national tv, in front of millions, including your family and hers, ouch.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm watching it right now.....kind of a lame show seeing as 98% of the questions are true. About the only thing entertaining is the person actually admitting the stuff on national TV.

Forum Member

Oh it gets better; what question is the female firefighter asked first? Has she ever committed arson... her answer? Yes. Later question: Did you cheat on your your qualification tests? Answer: Yes.
    Last edited by rookienc; 06-10-2008 at 08:49 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you really think that these shows are for real? Or are they just for the jackass sitting in his trailer in his skivvies sucking down his Rolling Rock?

The question I have is...

What self-respecting fire fighter or EMT would actually submit themselves to this humiliation?

Also, can anyone actually verify that they are who they say they are?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

"The question I have is...

What self-respecting fire fighter or EMT would actually submit themselves to this humiliation?"

C'mon George, you ARE in the fire department, right? Humiliation is a term non-existent....

Andrew (Proud Member of Jerry Springer FD)

www.boxalarmleather.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Do you really think that these shows are for real? Or are they just for the jackass sitting in his trailer in his skivvies sucking down his Rolling Rock?
    Can you see me right now? Are my shades open??

Most of the viewers who saw this are so wrapped up into this show they will laugh and talk about it, at least until the next show that comes on. It's disgusting. It's an addition like meth!

I graduated high school with a guy who wanted to become an actor. One of his "gigs" was to be on the Jerry Springer Show. They handed him his "character" and his "life story" and paid him a grand to do it. The whole show was scripted from beginning to end. Even the crowd was half actors.

I am sure this show is very similar.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I too watched part of the show tonite. If I am comparable to the rest of the audience then I would hope they feel the same repulse about his answers regarding falsifying reports.

I hope that this young mans actions and decision to earn a quick buck really sink into his head soon. I feel he gave us all a black eye. How do you think the rest of the millions of people that probably watched that show now view public servants? Especially when you hear of firefighters pleading guilty to arson and now EMT's who admit to falsifying a report. I am repulsed at the fact that he claims he was such an honest guy but at the same time he admits to falsifying a report, which is a legal document. Then he claims that "in my defense it wasn't anything serious, no one died." Well that might be the tip of the iceberg, and that is how people begin to take short cuts, or they don't fully assess the patient or their history, and then one day something serious will happen and he will want to falsify the report to save his ***. What a puke.

EMT's like this are worthless.

I will step off my soap box now.

Back In Black

I've seen bits of the show... further proof of the decline of our society.

If what was posted above is accurate, then they should be held accountable for what they did on national television.

Disgusting.
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 06-11-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Grammer
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Banned

What self-respecting fire fighter or EMT would actually submit themselves to this humiliation?

What self-respecting HUMAN BEING would actually submit themselves to this humiliation?

I suspect it is more of a scripted show anyway, sort of like the Pro wrestling garbage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    What self-respecting HUMAN BEING would actually submit themselves to this humiliation?

I suspect it is more of a scripted show anyway, sort of like the Pro wrestling garbage.
    That's a great point.

Polygraph operators have been fighting for years to have their field taken seriously in the legal arena. This show isn't helping out much.

Forum Member

Rolliong Rock used to be a good, easy drinking beer "from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe" until they got bought out by the brewing industry's version of the "Evil Empire" aka Anheuser Busch.. and started brewing it in GASP! Newark, New Jersey!

I think they are as real as the morons who go on Jerry Springer...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Rolliong Rock used to be a good, easy drinking beer "from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe" until they got bought out by the brewing industry's version of the "Evil Empire" aka Anheuser Busch.. and started brewing it in GASP! Newark, New Jersey!
    I did not know it was a Jersey beer. When I was in my formative years (16 or so), we drank it because it fit one criteria-it was cheap.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no doubt that this show is for real.

The calm and poise that the contestants showed last night left me with no doubt in my mind.....

They used Major and Mini Spammer's program "to get the badge"

Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

I feel a sense of shame for anyone that is sick enough to risk everything in their meaningless lives for two or three years salary, which if I Recall correctly is highly taxed in the US as a game show.

F*CK THAT!

This is a silly stunt and to imagine that any self respecting Firefighter or Paramedic would step foot on that stage

Well, I wouldn't want to be that man or woman heading toward the hall on their next shift or rotation.

Forum Member

I think the most likely scenario is that the contestants were playing an exaggerated version of themselves. It sounded as though the EMT was career, but the female vol seemed like the kind of person who is barely a member of the department. Regardless of whether the show was 100 or 1% real, my problem is that the citizens of the respective towns of the contestants now undoubtedly have less confidence in the firefighters of their town. And when a member of a small town goes on national t.v., believe me, the entire town knows the outcome. The next time that the departments request funding to improve the station citizens will remember the female vol. saying that a part of the reason she spends time at the firehouse is that she enjoys the attention of the guys. And you better believe that when that young man's department tries to use run stats to justify requesting more money for staffing, or new equipment, the citizens will remember his comments about falsifying reports.

Some Guy

I am a little worried that my favorite evil empire might be bought by a European company. What's wrong with Newark?
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stella trying to buy Anheuser

Rumor has it that Stella (they brew Beck's) is going after Anheuser

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ndacquisitions

I think they are as real as the morons who go on Jerry Springer...
    Take Care & be SAFE
    Bert

MembersZone Subscriber

What's wrong with Newark?
    Dude!!!???

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    What's wrong with Newark?
    Are you kidding!?!?

The hard-charging investigative reporters of the Associated Press have found EXACTLY what is wrong with Newark, NJ.

Ready for this?

Not enough bookstores!

http://www.nj.com/newark/index.ssf/2...as_fewest.html

Here I thought it was drugs and guns...Stupid me!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by RetJaxFF View Post
    Rumor has it that Stella (they brew Beck's) is going after Anheuser

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ndacquisitions
    Its not a rumor.
    This space for rent

Some Guy

I knew it was about books! I have a goo friend that works auto theft task force there. He tells me all the time that the city has a bad rap.

My wife has been a teacher in Paterson for the last 6 years. She tells me it is a nice city also. Just real bad PR.
    This space for rent

Thread Information