Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default What's The Salary For CDF/Cal Fire?

I don't even know which one to call it now. When was the name changed? Anyways I was taking classes at community college to get my Firefighter I cert. out of highschool but stopped taking fire classes due to the medical/EMT side of it. Well now I've gain an increasing interest to do CDF/Cal Fire and just curious on the annual salary? Any specific areas pay more than others? Any tips, tricks to start to follow? I know I will have to go back to school and get my FFI cert. but where to go from here?

nothing huh?

here it just mentions to contack HR in Sac Town or call a local Cal Fire office...

http://www.fire.ca.gov/about/about_careers.php

Forum Member

Looks like the link you posted gives all the salary information you need. However, I don't think they have included the scheduled OT, since Cal Fire works a 72 hour work week. I believe they get 19 hours OT a week.

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    Looks like the link you posted gives all the salary information you need. However, I don't think they have included the scheduled OT, since Cal Fire works a 72 hour work week. I believe they get 19 hours OT a week.
    i want numbers, numbers... it doesn't have how much the annual salaray is, at least the average? it doesn't have anything like that provided or am I missing something?

Forum Member

It does not matter where you work for Cal Fire, they all pay the same. You pretty much apply and compete against thousands of others who want the same job.

Each month you get two checks: one for monthly salary and the other (usually a week or two after you get the first one) for OT. Starting salary is $2,250 or something around there, and an additional $840 of planned OT for your shift (you work a 72-hour shift). Any additional OT you make that month gets added to the OT check (obviously).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default salary for cdf

seasonals start off at 2800-3200. And thats not including the 19 hours of guranteed overtime a week.

I guess I will be straight up with you. You have expressed that you want to become a career professional firefighter. You need to start by showing respect when posting on a firefighter web page.

You sound sarcastic when you start of with a comment regarding Cal Fire's name change from CDF. If you have an interest in a career as a firefighter with Cal Fire, you need to go visit a Cal Fire employee at the station to discuss career options with that agency. They would be able to give you all the information you need. I would also make sure that you are clean shaven, wearing nice clothes. Look professional.

I can assure you that with the present economy and the fact that agencies will be slowing down hiring, careers in the fire service in the next couple of years are going to get even tougher. I am sure that thousands will apply for positions with Cal Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ocengineer View Post
    I guess I will be straight up with you. You have expressed that you want to become a career professional firefighter. You need to start by showing respect when posting on a firefighter web page.

You sound sarcastic when you start of with a comment regarding Cal Fire's name change from CDF.
    well you seem to have an attitude yourself... i was just clearly marking the fact that the last time I was involved with any sort of fire science classes it was called CDF. sorry if that's a problem, guess you like to make things a big deal... problematic or dramafied. please don't insult me

Forum Member

Question

Yea i would have to agree that RrCoX22 doesnt't seem to be the one with the real attitude...... seems to me he asked a question and got exactly what he was not looking for other than go visit an office and find out.

Forum Member

Most trucks, shirts, and hats said CDF as of late 07, just my observation.

They can call themselves calfire, but CDF is what they will always be.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

It runs somewhere right around $3k a month once you count your salary and planned overtime. A busy month like this is worth quite a bit more, considering the amount of unplanned overtime going around, though I don't have any numbers considering I'm out on injury (miserable experience) and have got little better to do than hope I can get back on this month or next.

Oh, and hey. If you don't want to do the medical stuff, Cal Fire may not be what you're looking for. Most of our calls are medical aids, and it's definitely an important part of our job. The Forest Service doesn't run much in the way of medical aids... you might look their way.
    Last edited by NCalElias; 07-18-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Default CAL FIRE -- Pay Scales

Firefighter I (Seasonal) $2,494 - $3,001

Firefighter II $2,777 - $3,374

Firefighter II (Paramedic) $3,000 - $3,644

Fire Apparatus Engineer $3,325 - $3,849

Fire Apparatus Engineer (Paramedic) $3,557 - $4,120

Fire Captain (A) $3,648 - $4,432

Fire Captain (B) $4,004 Ė $4,865

Fire Captain (Paramedic) $3,889 - $4,723

All monthly salaries shown do not include the planned the overtime of 19 hours.

You receive a monthly pay check at the end of each month and an overtime check that typically shows up three weeks after the pay period ends. This date floats and has no set date that it will be in your hands, DO NOT COUNT ON THIS CHECK to be there when you need it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RrCoX22 View Post
    well you seem to have an attitude yourself... i was just clearly marking the fact that the last time I was involved with any sort of fire science classes it was called CDF. sorry if that's a problem, guess you like to make things a big deal... problematic or dramafied. please don't insult me
    I'm with u man. U did not seem sarcastic at all. I don't know what was up that dudes ***. Ur gonna get comments like that here. People need to lighten up on things. Its true, people do get confused between Cal fire and Cdf. I had some **** talkers not to long ago about making a post about using breathing apparatus during a vehicle fired. They said that subject was old. Well if its old, then Why did u read about it!!! National park service Wildland ff/farmersville city Fire reserve

Thread Information