Default Creative Bell Mounts?

We've spec'ed a bell on our new rig, but a regular bumper mount won't work because of the tilt-cab design.

Our mfgr. wants to do a hinged mount on the bumper, but the only ones I've seen on hinges look cheap and cobbled-together.

Anybody have pictures they can post of good alternatives?

Forum Member

Check out how the guys at Progress have the bell mounted on E-32. (the top photo in the following link)

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html...y/Progress.htm
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Check out how the guys at Progress have the bell mounted on E-32. (the top photo in the following link)

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html...y/Progress.htm
    That looks like the standard Seagrave bell mounting. I'm told that we asked Spartan about doing it that way; they declined. Since the bell was kept secret from me, I didn't get in on the details. I suspect that it would have required some significant reinforcement of the cab sheet metal in that area.

Forum Member

Here are two pics of the bell mounted on my company's Scope. I'll get some more detailed pics.

Forum Member

Tower 412 - Is your 'Scope possibly ex-Dillsburg, Pa.?

Forum Member

Nope. It was a brand new Scope from/and put together by Baker when my company got it in 95. Dillsburg got theres after ours and it wasn't put together by Baker.
    Last edited by TOWER412; 06-17-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Forum Member

I've seen a few of the Seagrave mounts and the look and work out very well. Also if you don't want a rope going through the cab, they have an optional air-operated clapper.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TOWER412 View Post
    Nope. It was a brand new Scope from/and put together by Baker when my company got it in 95. Dillsburg got theres after ours and it wasn't put together by Baker.
    Thanks. The question arose because there weren't very many built on that Duplex chassis. I think Dillsburg's was a rechassis, refurb FDNY unit with a pump added, but I'm not sure. As I recall, they didn't have it for too long. I don't know where it is now. How's yours working out?

Forum Member

Default Bell Mount

Based on what cab and options you are getting, have you considered a mount on the corner of the cab? If you need more information, I have a drawing.

Tower412, that is a nice looking mount. Much cleaner than the other hinged setups I've seen.

ISellToU, we're getting a Sutphen custom pumper. We were at the Sutphen plant recently, and they had never done a corner mount like Progress E32. If you've got drawings, I'd love to see them. They seemed open to suggestions.

MembersZone Subscriber

The bell alone (without the labor and engineering costs of a custom mount) most likely costs about the same as a set of bunker gear for a firefighter, once mounted it is more likely costing what two sets of gear would cost. How many lives have been saved by a bell on a fire truck???

Forum Member

The bell alone (without the labor and engineering costs of a custom mount) most likely costs about the same as a set of bunker gear for a firefighter, once mounted it is more likely costing what two sets of gear would cost. How many lives have been saved by a bell on a fire truck???
    You should leave these guys alone.

Although I am not a bell enthusiast nor do I know of any career union departments in my area that install bells, we have no right to criticize those that want to keep these traditions.

Most apparatus with bells are volunteer companies deeply rooted in their traditions. This is one of the factors that motivates their members and keeps them a tightly knit organization.

Remember, they are not expending 70% + of their operating budget on salaries and benefits for personnel so a minor expenditure for a bell mount is pretty insignificant. Most of the bells they install have been moved from retired vehicles to the new ones and can be quite old so their funds used are for the mount only.

Even if they do not have budgeted funds for these mounts, they would generally come up with some raffle at a pub or chili dinner or whatever to raise the funds they need and not impinge on their operating funds.

My hats off to those who pursue and hold the traditions of the fire service.

Ding! Ding!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    From reading previous posts, I know you to be on the job in the big city. Question for you: How many lives have been saved by the train horns on Rescue 3 or Sattellite 2? How many lives have been saved by the Federal Q sirens on Squad 18, L147, or about 2 dozen other companies I cant think of right now? How many lives have been saved by the bell on 38 Truck? (Actually I dont know if their newer 100' rearmount has one, but when I used to ride there when they had the heavy duty 110', they had a bell, in fact, mounted the same way by Seagrave as mentioned above....) How many lives have been saved by all the gold leaf applied to 88 Engine or 46 Engine or 27 Truck?

Answer: NONE! It's called company pride. Pride in your piece, pride in your company. But I dont have to lecture you on that, I have never been in an FDNY house that lacked it.

That being said, I am with you all the way, if companies buy "chrome" for parade purposes and their members are not properly equipped or trained.

We mounted a bell on the front of our new 2007 Toyne pumper, because we dedicated the piece to chiefengineer11 (who if you didnt know, happens to be my father.) The bell is engraved with his name, "1957-2007" and below that "50 years of active service."

We have excellent PPE for all firefighters, excellent training, and well taken care of quarters. We have a budget surplus, and are not really crying for money. So we go the extra mile and decorate the pieces a little bit. Not rediculously, just enough to make em look good.

I myself questioned those guys in Wisconsin, in another forum, the need for TWO federal Q sirens and all those Mars lights. The answer I got was basically the same as above- company pride, they have superior equipment and training, so why not?

Be safe!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Many moons ago I saw a truck co in Brooklyn(?) that had a bell mounted on the rear wall of tha cab with the lanyard run through the wall to the forward facing rear seat. Cant remember which company it was though.
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

dazed and confused

A bell is only one of two audible emergency warning devices recognized by law in my state.

Since electronics can fail, I think a bell serves a very real purpose, not just tradition.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Here are some more pics of the bell and mount. I don't know how much it cost for the mount to be made up. We mounted the bell our selfs. Also we changed the locks that held the bell up to wing bolts we where have problems with them coming loose.

The bell came off out 1973 75' Snorkel quint.

Forum Member

When we speced out our KME this is how we are having our bell mounted.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the great pix. Lots of good ideas. Keep `em coming!

Forum Member

Default E-mail

Send your e-mail to me and I will send the drawings up to you.

Forum Member

Default Bell ringer

Here's one for ya.... we're transfering an old bell onto a new rig. Only the Chief would like it to be functional by more than a pull cord. Dose anyone know of or ever heard of an "Automatic Bell Ringer" Something air or electric that all you need to do is flip a switch to make the bell automaticaly go ding ding ding untill you turn the switch off.
    The thought behing it is that it will be a totaly different sound than you would normally hear in traffic, and hopefully if will catch the attention of other drivers.
    Any Ideas?
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Quote Originally Posted by ISELLTOU View Post
    Send your e-mail to me and I will send the drawings up to you.
    Thanks, ISELLTOU. For some reason, I can't PM you from the Forum and I don't see your e-mail address, either...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    Here's one for ya.... we're transfering an old bell onto a new rig. Only the Chief would like it to be functional by more than a pull cord. Dose anyone know of or ever heard of an "Automatic Bell Ringer" Something air or electric that all you need to do is flip a switch to make the bell automaticaly go ding ding ding untill you turn the switch off.
    The thought behing it is that it will be a totaly different sound than you would normally hear in traffic, and hopefully if will catch the attention of other drivers.
    Any Ideas?
    Yes, I believe when we went through Pre-construction they have some kind of automatic ringer that I believe is air actuated......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Yes, I believe when we went through Pre-construction they have some kind of automatic ringer that I believe is air actuated......
    Who is "they" your the forst person I've "talked" to that has even heard of such a thing.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Any Ideas?
    Look into train locomotives for the automatic continual ringing. As for an electric auctuator, our new Toyne pumper has an electric switch- hit the button one time, bell rings one time.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Who is "they" your the forst person I've "talked" to that has even heard of such a thing.
    KME........ Not sure if it's "continuous" or if it's one ring per push of the button.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information