Forum Member

Question How are oral board interviews scored?

I just completed an oral board interview about 10 days ago and am now in the "stress yourself out phase" of the process.... waiting for the results. My question is: Whats the most you can score on a oral board? The main reason I ask is because I recently took the bilingual test (and passed) and will recieve 1 extra point on my final score. I think I did well in the interview and and wondering how much of an impact 1 extra point will have. If I remember correctly the last time I did an oral the scores were in the 130's. Is it somthing like, ten possible points per question? But then how do they factor in your opening and closing statement? Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks.

Forum Member

Itís usually on a 100-point system depending on the agency. Itís possible to go over 100 points with veterans, residency and other factors. Sometimes one point either way can be the deciding factor whether you go forward or not.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I sit on oral boards, both promotional and entry level on a regular basis. While the point calculating system may be different from place to place, the end result is the same. We are looking to select the candidate who convinces us of three things:

1. He or she will make it through the academy
    2. They will make it through probation
    3. My firefighters will like and respect them

All of the questions are designed so we, the evaluators, can pick a candidate who satisfies the three dimensions listed above.

Lastly, don't waste your time trying to figure out how we score you. Your time is much better spent on learning how to perform in the interview.
    Best of luck to you,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Thanks BCLepore. And let me asure you I spent countless hours preparing for this and my question has nothing to do with "how to preform better in the interview by knowing how they score". I am just trying to get an idea of my chances of landing in the top 40 or so (out of 150). I've been replaying the interview in my head and I am comfortable with my performance. After reading your (3) points that you look for, I feel I fit all of those well. These top 40 spots will no doubt be separated by just a few points (maybe fractions of a point) and I was trying to get a realistic feel for how the interviews were graded. Like I mentioned earlier I also get a extra point for being bilingual, but I'm not really sure how much weight that extra point has. Every point will help and only time will tell...

Thanks for your insight.

Thread Information