Forum Member

Default volunteer squad/equipment grant questions

regrettably my volunteer fire dept has been going through some issues regarding some funds.... The volunteer fire dept that I'm a member of is a part of Riverside County Fire dept. We have had plans for quite awhile to look into getting a new squad, recently however our older squad completely died. We've had that squad for over 20 years and it has ran great. Unfortunately the main problem is the transmission and it's a fairly large project no mechanic is willing to work on it and we don't think we should put that much money into repairs on an older squad. We would like to look into grants that would allow us to buy a new squad. Anyone recommend any or know of any that would help us off the top of their head? Also in the future we might be looking into getting an equipment grant anyone recommend any of those too? Thank you very much for any help you're willing to give.

MembersZone Subscriber

Socrates you will find that this forum is full of members who have a vast amount of knowledge and varying levels of experience with the grants. It is an excellent resource for you. I help departments like you all the time so if you would like to talk with me about your needs and what I can do to help go fill this out and submit it to me and I will give you a shout.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/contact_popup.asp
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Our fire department is in the process of fixing up and selling our used 1994 Ford Ambulance. It is used as a first responder unit. Great truck, we just don't have the room for it. Hopefully our application for a new tanker will be awarded!
    (thanks Kurt for the help!)

Bryan H.
    Paradise Valley Vol. Fire Department
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Last edited by PVFD100; 06-19-2008 at 02:36 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whatever you define a "squad" as. This a medium duty/Class 6+ chassis or a pickup?

Many of us out here in the Vol fire service don't call a 20yr old truck overage. More likely it's just broken in. If this is a medium duty truck with an Allison you can get a used or rebuilt transmission installed for less than $2000 (just did so for a FEPP 1991 F900 6x6). If you have lots of $ by all means buy a new unit and pass the old along to someone that can use it by installing a new transmission.

Thread Information