Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Dive Team funding

hey,
    im looking for funding ideas for establishing a dive team/ swift water rescue team. what we need funds for is equipment only we have all the training just no equipment to act. my department is a small volunteer department in sw missouri. after the massive flooding we have had this spring and summer its obvious we need a team like this in our aera (the closest team is about a hour away) but any ideas is greatly appricated!
    Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Where in SW Missouri, if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at some options for the same type of thing. Only thing is, I want to incorporate the training for those who don't have it.

Forum Member

laclede co... traning would be nice but i have sum buddys that i talked to today and told me they will help me out with that.. but i really would like to just get the basics so i can get the foundation and start building up from there.

Guys I have had some good success with swift water rescue grants. Dive teams are going to be much tougher. Always remember better to have the trained personnel and make the arguement that they can't do their tasks because they have no equipment, than to ask for training and gear first. I'll be gald to help you all. Contact me off line ( see profile).
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

hey give me a shout at rico19891129@gmail.com!! thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think we're looking more along the lines of the swift water for now, dive in a few years. I've got a couple guys open-water certified and several more wanting it, we're going to have to get them some hours before we can do the dive thing.

We've been having some big issues with the swift water this year down in Barry County (much like you Laclede County guys). The only swift water "team" near us is a bunch of guys with some life vests and throw bags. It became quite evident this wasn't enough after a mentally handicapped boy died in flood waters a few months ago just north of us. The department who attempted rescue had their hands on him at least three times and couldn't get him pulled in, despite their best efforts.

Our current plan is to start with some excess funds we've got from a grant and get some shore-based equipment, then move into the water-based. And of course, giving Kurt a call.

Speaking of which Kurt, I'm still waiting on a PA declaration from our tornado and still need to give you a call on it. For some reason FEMA is dragging their tails on the PA, even though we've had IA for several weeks. Apparently there are some questions in regard to the impact on the public entities.

Catch22 you know the number dude. Give me a shout.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

well best of luck to ya catch! we dont have any excess grnt fund... well come to think of we have no grant funds at all... ha ha but yes iam goin to figure out kurts number and give him a call to we need all the help we can get here!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    well best of luck to ya catch! we dont have any excess grnt fund... well come to think of we have no grant funds at all... ha ha but yes iam goin to figure out kurts number and give him a call to we need all the help we can get here!
    800-992-0272 Ext 3111 7-5 M-F EST
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

ok thanks man ill give a call tomarow sum time!!

Thread Information