MembersZone Subscriber

Default hiring sites/practice and best cities

hello, i know this probably has been talked about before but after searching i couldnt find it so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently in school and will be graduating with a fire science degree and am currently a FF1 and EMT-basic.. but i have a couple questions for anyone.

A) what are the best sites for finding jobs? i have a subscription here but it doesnt seem to be updated so i find most of them by searching..

B) what are some good sites to practice tests, oral board help, and anything else in the process?

C) I am currently living in Ohio, i have taken probably 5-10 tests in the last 12-18 months but most of them seem to be not hiring, I really want to get on a fire department and am wondering where in the US would be the best oppourtunity(specific cities would be great)?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help answer any of these questions!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like you have the same problem hundreds of guys are having in Ohio, so the best advice I can give is get out while you can. I am from NE Ohio, and I know what your going through first hand. The thing about many Ohio departments is that its not just whether or not your the best candidate, but also your race, sex, and more importantly who you know play a big role in getting hired there. I am not slamming any Ohio FF's or departments, but again, get out while you can there are plenty of other areas wanting a candidate like yourself that are hiring as we speak.

When I was searching for a job I used emsfirerescuejobs.com and 911hotjobs.com and firehouse.com. I found that between those sites, I found most job postings availble w/ good reliable contact information. As far as test preps you came to the right place, just ask! I can also say that most civil service tests are based simply on basic math and reading. But any advice or tips regarding interviews, physicals, boards will be available on here. Also use 911hotjobs, they seem to have a lot of test prep stuff too.

Looking for jobs starts with heading south, then go west! Departments in the metro DC area are always hiring Fairfax, Prince William, Prince George and Montgomery Counties in Virginia/Maryland. Lots of places in Florida hire but be careful your certs. won't transfer, and its quite a headache. Texas all over, including Houston and surrounding areas are ALWAYS hiring (I currently work for the largest department in Galveston Co.) Check out areas in California, S. Carolina, and N. Carolina too, but again be careful, its always a pain to try and get your certs transferred over. The best bet is to get your IFSAC seals and National Registry. That should make getting reciprocity much easier. Again double check, but I'm sure your can't get fire reciprocity with Virginia, Florida, and California.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hey Wentz; I was in your shoes a couple years ago. I jumped ship to Montgomery County Maryland from NE Ohio. www.firerecruit.com is an excellent site for job searching. Very up-to-date info there. Keep testing everywhere you can and finish up that education. I think our next test over here has been pushed back to January.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

cool, thanks for all the great tips!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    Hey Wentz; I was in your shoes a couple years ago. I jumped ship to Montgomery County Maryland from NE Ohio. www.firerecruit.com is an excellent site for job searching. Very up-to-date info there. Keep testing everywhere you can and finish up that education. I think our next test over here has been pushed back to January.
    how do u like working there? and do you have a website for your dept? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by docflip4884 View Post
    Texas all over, including Houston and surrounding areas are ALWAYS hiring (I currently work for the largest department in Galveston Co.)
    where is it that you work? i have a friend who moved near galveston, sounds like a great place to live.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    i'm a member on Fire Recruit and it is the best site for FF jobs...they also update you with new job postings by email.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Wentz34 View Post
    how do u like working there? and do you have a website for your dept? thanks

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/fi...scue/index.asp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Wentz34 View Post
    where is it that you work? i have a friend who moved near galveston, sounds like a great place to live.
    Texas City Fire Department
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Permanently Removed

My 2 cents-

1. Figure out where in the USA you want to live and settle down. Me, I like the San Diego County, Las Vegas, Nevada, Utah, Washington State, Arizona areas.

Then I would sign up with www.firerecruit.com. Great source for jobs.

Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    My 2 cents-

1. Figure out where in the USA you want to live and settle down. Me, I like the San Diego County, Las Vegas, Nevada, Utah, Washington State, Arizona areas.

Then I would sign up with www.firerecruit.com. Great source for jobs.

Bou
    thanks, great idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

South Carolina fire jobs don't generally pay well. Straight ems pays better, particularly at Charleston County, but morale is extremely low there, if you know what I mean(perfect example of what happens in a non-union shop in a right-to-work state). They love northeners there, also, as evidenced by www.gobacktoohio.com. Check out payscales at www.sconfire.com. If you want to be treated well, and be compensated well, focus on the DC/NoVa/MD area. I'm currently at FxCo, and loving it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wentz,

I reloacted to Memphis, TN from NE Ohio this year. For me it has been a good move thus far, and I am lloking forward to a career here. It is a large city which is what I ideally wanted, and instead of working private ambo / part time fire and takin 3-7 years to get a full time gig, I will have that seniority in here.

However, moving is not as easy as it seems both practically and emotionally. It is really a matter of weighing your pros and cons. Also realize that this job is only 10 days a month, therea are 20 other days left. There is more to life than this job.

I never really intened to move, as it was a really last minute type of deal (from time of app to 1st day of academy was less than 3 months). If you need any advice on the matter, let me know.

Cheers

Thread Information