Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Default Changing to new SCBA.....

Hello all. I would like as much info as I can get on subject, being that I plan on doing a presentation to the department in about a month on why I think we need to switch to new SCBA's. There is really no problem with the ones we have now (except the fact they are a little heavy and only average 20 mins of air if you breath normal the whole time). We currently use SCOTT 2.5 SCBA's (the following link is not exactly what we use, but its the closest looking thing)....

http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/Ame...cba/iscba.aspx

Also, I am not particularly 100% loyal to SCOTT, but it is all that I have ever used, and most of the members of my department have ever used and will more than likely want to stick to. I am really leaning more towards the SCOTT Air-Pak 75. I know it is easier said than done, plus we would be looking at changing about 16 SCBA's on our department alone, and around 40 or more SCBA's county wide.

So what would be the pros/cons to making the switch to this type of SCBA. Plus, what could I do to try and help convince the higher ups that we should consider a change?

Thanks to everyone for any and all information. Your comments and suggestions always help me out. Be safe out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

We made the switch from 2.2's (I assume this is what you meant not 2.5's) to 4.5's about 7 years ago. By far one of the best things we did for ourselves (the firefighters). The reduced size and weight was a huge hit for our guys who'd worn low pressure packs in the past. Now, standing around with a pac on is no big deal at all, more sore necks come from the cows on our heads than the weight of the SCBA pulling down (yeah, waist straps, I know).

But there are lots of issues to figure out first as well. All the bottles are composite so the life cycle is lower (still?). Also most fill stations were not capable of going up to 4500 psi or were capable but took a long time and were grossly inefficient.

The pro's are that you reduce the weight on the FFers' back, reduce his/her profile and are capable of increasing bottle sizes to 45 and 60 min. as needed.

As for Scott, we love ours and wouldn't switch for anything, but that includes keeping them the way they are, old wire frame, no HUDs, not battery powered crap. Just the reliable SCBA Scott built to set the standard.

Adam,guess you didn't weigh 'em did ya? Unless you're comparing ALUMINUM 2.2's to COMPOSITE 4.5's. In actuallity the carbon 4.5 is like 2-3 ounces HEAVIER than the carbon 2.2. But the "hang" of the 4.5 is Waaaay superior to the 2.2. Air's no problem for us,we have a 12 bottle cascade hooked to a 13 cfm pump.Composite lifespan is currently 20yrs,we've got close to 32 packs now so we buy 4 bottles a year until the rules change or time runs out. For those considering the change,unless you have a 6000psi cascade,you're not going to be too happy loading 4.5's on site.A 4500psi cascade doesn't fill many unless you have a booster pump. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Adam,guess you didn't weigh 'em did ya? Unless you're comparing ALUMINUM 2.2's to COMPOSITE 4.5's. In actuallity the carbon 4.5 is like 2-3 ounces HEAVIER than the carbon 2.2. But the "hang" of the 4.5 is Waaaay superior to the 2.2.
    TC- True enough we went from Aluminum 2.2's to the composite 4.5's so we noticed the weight change. When you heading to Springfield?

Bright and early Fri morning.We should be there for opening gun.Tony's waiting for me to punish the shopping cart.You'll be getting a PM shortly,see ya there.Big boss goin'? T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Bright and early Fri morning.We should be there for opening gun.Tony's waiting for me to punish the shopping cart.You'll be getting a PM shortly,see ya there.Big boss goin'? T.C.
    Pics! post pics!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I know how to take 'em.What makes you think I know how to post 'em?If you weren't so damn shortsighted with the SWMBO you'd be there to help.I'll send you an early warning for next year,hehe T.C.

Thread Information