Forum Member

Default train blocking roadways

We had an issue last night with a train blocking several roadways in our city that pretty much cut off 1/4 of the city from response and 1/3 of us repsonding to the station.

First off this is a rare occurance. We've called before when we had wrecks near or on the tracks and they hold the trains and the RR personnel who come on scene are great.

The run last night was on a scale of 1-10 a good 5 or 6. Get paged, wake up, head out and see a train parked. No movement or anything and this is unusal because it's on the single track section of a sizeable double track line. Look down the road either way, blocked. Called dispatch and informed them of train and requested they call RR and find out what's up. Heard those who could get to station respond, but short staffed. Drive a mile each way, blocked, so I was pretty much stuck. Never got a reply back from dispatch.

What do y'all do if a train blocks the road? I do plan on calling dispatch later today and find out what was the problem.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Depending on how far away the call is, and the anticipated delay, we'll notify dispatch that we'll have a delayed response and/or request apparatus that are on the other side of the stopped train be dispatch.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

What do y'all do if a train blocks the road ?

Pull up to the the Train as close as you can turn on all the wacker lights,
    lean on the siren and the car horn and the train will move when its good and
    ready to move.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
    What do y'all do if a train blocks the road ?

Pull up to the the Train as close as you can turn on all the wacker lights,
    lean on the siren and the car horn and the train will move when its good and
    ready to move.
    There's always one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35
    What do y'all do if a train blocks the road?
    Generally the depts I have heard are notified right away. The dispatch receives a phone call from the rail company and are given the location of the train. The dispatchers put out a message page stating the train is blocking roads from xxx road to yyy road. The firefighters then know what they have to do to get around and make appropriate changes to their response. When the train is gone the dispatcher sends out a second message page stating the train has moved on.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

I've always wanted to drive a train...
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

joebourget
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have that issue in our town. I would say that on average we have 20-30 trains a day pass through our town with many of them stopping so that another train can pass. Fortunatley there are enough crossing in the city limits and outside the city limits that we can usually get to where we need to go. A majority of the Department lives on the side of the tracks that the station is on so there is not really a staffing issue. It is more of a response time issue. We do call Com Center and inform them of the delay. Other than that not much you can do.

Forum Member

Curse, then go down the road a few more blocks to an unblocked crossing.

Rail line through the middle of town and the blocking of crossings every 1/2 hour led to 2 stations being built 75 years ago. 1 on each side of tracks.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Rail line through the middle of town and the blocking of crossings every 1/2 hour led to 2 stations being built 75 years ago. 1 on each side of tracks.
    I taught an NFA Course in Gillette, WY where they have a bazillion operating coal mines. They have trains running through town all the time. Big, long trains that I don't think you are going to drive around.

Building stations on each side of the tracks is exactly what they did?

Imagine the interstation arguments you could get in debating which company was from the wrong side of the tracks.

Forum Member

My understanding is that by Florida Statutes, a train blocking a crossing that needs to be accessed by and emergency vehicle with lights and sirens, going to a call, must clear the crossing either by moving the entire train, or splitting the train at the nearest car, and openning a gap.

Now the reality is that they will never see your lights, and doubtful they will hear a siren, so by the time dispatch calls the railroad, and they contact the train, ..., ..., ... they clear the crossing anyway.

Luckily, however, the trains we see aren't usually more than a mile long, they rarely come to a dead stop on a crossing, and we are fortnunate to have ways around.

Forum Member

Our city is ~7+ miles long by ~1+ mile wide. The city is divided by 6 railroad crossing with each crossing having either 2 or 3 sets of tracks. 5 of the sets cross each other at a place called "Vicker's Crossing" which is one of the busiest, if not the busiest, rail-to-rail crossing east of the Mississippi River.

We are also forced to operate out of 2 stations because of the train traffic. We just do as others stated...... Go around the tracks. Usually we are cutting through portions of other cities to get to incidents.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Another point of view.....

First, I like these responses.....
    GeorgeWendtCFI stated:
    Imagine the interstation arguments you could get in debating which company was from the wrong side of the tracks.
    Oh man, now dat's hilarious...... LMAO

Second, if your Dept. has alpha numeric pagers Dispatch can send a page with the effected roadways. If not, then upon a Dispatch, they can verbalize what roadways are effected. The main problem with that is that Dispatch has to be notified by somebody. My suggestion, work with the local R X R Police, if your area has them and do a training class or get in contact with them. It's an easy way for them to see how shutting down roads effect your services, especially for our Volunteer Bros/Sisters.

I know that in my area it's over or around $1,000,000 an hr. for a train to sit there. Trust me, I found out the hard way during a Veg. Fire. So they don't want 'em sitting there, just like you don't want em in the way.....

Another idea is that you can always start equipment from uneffected Stations even if it's from another Dept. Just do what's best for your Customers and get the correct equipment on the road, ASAP.

Aight, well hava great weekend ya all.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

We have a station on each side of the tracks and members who live on each side. Never had an issue when the train was on the tracks since there will always be someone responding.

It doesnt make much sense to me not to have a station on each side of the tracks.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    ...Imagine the interstation arguments you could get in debating which company was from the wrong side of the tracks.
    No arguement. They are on the wrong side.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    What do y'all do if a train blocks the road? I do plan on calling dispatch later today and find out what was the problem.
    Have you thought to contact the RR to work with them in preventing this in the future? Perhaps if they have to park a long train and seperate the town they can disconnect it in the middle and leave at least one route open.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    First off. Your dispatch office may or may not even have any idea that there is a train coming through. Not defending lack of information being given by dispatch but they may or may not even know.

Second thing. If you are stuck by or think you may soon be stuck by a train your best course of action is have a company on the other side of the tracks dispatched and if the train ends before your next arriving company makes scene you continue, advise if further assistance is needed and finish the job.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

what about a bridge or tunnel? I dont know if it would be cheeper or not, but at least the whole town could use it.

Forum Member

I called dispatch and asked them to call the RR. I never heard back from dispatch. That's why I said I would call them again to find out what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    First off. Your dispatch office may or may not even have any idea that there is a train coming through. Not defending lack of information being given by dispatch but they may or may not even know.

Second thing. If you are stuck by or think you may soon be stuck by a train your best course of action is have a company on the other side of the tracks dispatched and if the train ends before your next arriving company makes scene you continue, advise if further assistance is needed and finish the job.

Forum Member

We used to be able to have the train ticketed after 5 minutes but the Courts declared trains to be Federal in nature and not under local jurisdiction. Now they can sit all they want. It's a shame.
    Think first and be safe. Your family wants to hold you, not a folded flag.

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    We used to be able to have the train ticketed after 5 minutes but the Courts declared trains to be Federal in nature and not under local jurisdiction. Now they can sit all they want. It's a shame.
    So, with all the collective ingenuity and intelligence in your FD, the best solution to the problem that you could figure out was to write them a traffic ticket? That seems poretty pathetic to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    What court ruled that?

Around here the PD can still site the RR companies if the train is blocking the crossing and not moving for 5 minutes or longer. The fines used to be much larger, but they were reduced by a higher court (not sure which one). Now the fines are just a drop in the bucket to the companies.......

We have a couple alternate routes that we can/do use on a regular basis.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Connecticut state law allows allows the ranking fire official to remove or cause to be removed pretty much anything in the way of carrying out our duties. The verbiage specifically states trains. So what the hell, if the keys are in, I'd go for it.

Turn the key to FORWARD, pull the big lever to RELEASE, and push the little lever forward. How much more complicated could it be? What could go wrong?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

How much more complicated could it be? What could go wrong?
    Not being able to put the key in the STOP hole and put the big lever to HOLD.

makes good girls go bad

Not being able to put the key in the STOP hole and put the big lever to HOLD.
    Well, in some places, putting the Fire Official in charge on a train and running him outta town is what they want.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I taught an NFA Course in Gillette, WY where they have a bazillion operating coal mines. They have trains running through town all the time. Big, long trains that I don't think you are going to drive around.

Building stations on each side of the tracks is exactly what they did?

Not quite a bizillion... but 14 at the present time

And we have an underpass on the west end of town and an overpass on the east end of town. That plus station on the "other side" usually takes care of it. In the rare event it doesnt, a quick call to the RR and they will "break" the train at the crossing.
    Last edited by mtnfireguy; 06-25-2008 at 03:19 AM.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Connecticut state law allows allows the ranking fire official to remove or cause to be removed pretty much anything in the way of carrying out our duties. The verbiage specifically states trains. So what the hell, if the keys are in, I'd go for it.

Turn the key to FORWARD, pull the big lever to RELEASE, and push the little lever forward. How much more complicated could it be? What could go wrong?
    Switch in wrong position
    Not realizing how long (time and distance) the stopping part takes
    Not realizing how far you really have to move the train (most of ours are 100-125 cars long)

And last, dealing with the RR Police for stealing their Cho Cho
    Last edited by mtnfireguy; 06-25-2008 at 03:20 AM.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information