Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Standpipes, FDC's and Sprinklers

We all face some different situations when it comes to the fire service and what I am looking to discuss is the problems we are facing with some of the FDCís, Standpipes and sprinklers that we see out in the field. I would like any pictures you have and any stories on different problems you have faced when dealing with these things. What I am looking for is problems you have seen when using the FDC, Standpipes and sprinklers:
    Access problems
    Location Problems
    Operating Problems
    Shut off trouble
    Damage to and ideas to overcome them

I will be putting a class on for my Dept (Livonia, Michigan), on the problems we all face with FDCís, Standpipes and sprinkler systems. If you could forward all your pictures and stories to me I would greatly appreciate it.

Training Coordinator Tom Kiurski
    tkiurski@lfdmail.com
    Livonia Fire & Rescue
    Livonia, Michigan

Forum Member

not too much of a problem but I've come across a few standpipes that didn't have the wheel on them...We carry a wrench in the standpipe pack for this.

Here we also never use the ones that are in the halls, with the pre-connected hose on them....We always disconnect that and connect our own pack.

That's about all I have to offer...Hope it helps.

Will you be posting this thread in every forum?

Thanks
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Location Problems---We have one with wall close to FDC connection causing the hose to binded up to wall... Fix we use a 60 degree elbow to make the connection work and the hose comes out striaght...

Operating Problems-- Frozen connection--- Fix Use a double male then double female

Damage to and ideas to overcome them---Standpipe Missing connection or bend connection--- Fix Take hose tie into the first floor outlet also can use basement or second floor connection...

Also on FDC & Stand pipe... You'll have to send guy inside for this and also need a 2.5" NST to 2" NPT for this... But you tie into the system main 2" drain pipe and then send a FF inside (If safe to do so) to turn the main drain valve open to feed the system... Might not be much flow and such but aleast it's something...

Jason

Thread Information