Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Florida Firefighter Schools

Forum Member

Firemedic 61,

"I take it you haven't been through minimum standards yet" not in Florida.

I thought when he was saying the "big 3" he meant that at those schools they have reduced their practical assessment and I took it as schools and not practical assessments. Just me misunderstanding, I was certified in Vermont and can remember those assessments. I don't recall that they called it anything.

Stinks my cert will not transfer to Florida, so I'm waiting the year to have resident status so I don't pay out of state tuition.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
    I joined Coral Springs Fire Academy the other day. I thought they where the top Academy in Florida. Did i buy into the hype?
    In a word, YES.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire school is well....... fire school, they teach you the basics and how the state of FL wants to see things done. No matter what school you go to what matters most is what YOU make of it.

Study hard, work hard, get that cert, and do something with it likr volunteer. You will learn a TON more working with equipment then jsut getting yelled at and doing pushups for not holding a ladder the right way.

And like medic school, study hard keep your nose in the books, learn everything you can, and never be timid to get hands on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Broward Fire Academy is top notch. Stay away from Coral Springs' academy if you are coming down south.
    I am curious as to which school you graduated from? Last I heard Coral Springs was the top ranked Fire Academy in the State?

Forum Member

2003Slobra-

I went to BFA but my opinion is based on what I have seen while administering the fire practical portion of my Dept's recruit test and probie training. The applicants who stand out the most seem to always be from BFA, IRCC or Ocala. The ones who continually do the WORST come from PBCC and Coral Springs. Yes, I will say there are exceptions but not many. My brother works in Broward and says the same thing as does a friend of mine who works for Martin Co where they draw from pretty much the same applicant pool(tri-county area).
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Do not waste your time with FCTI! It has gone to complete hell. The students run the program now. If the instructors get to tough on them or they fail out, they hire lawyers and get back in. The word sissy comes to mind with the program now. And on top of that, the new standards that are coming down from the state equals we are screwed ladies and gents. How many of us will be killed or injured because of the new PC fire service?

Lake tech in Tavares was a great school. Great instructors!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The new big 3

There is a video demonstration of the proposed changes to the big 3 on the FSFC web site floridafireprograms.com I think it's under the media link.

It's my understanding that they are still proposed changes. The state had said they were going with them this year, then they backed off.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

MembersZone Subscriber

In a word, YES.
    uhhh...in a word no! Springs IS one of the best academies in the state. They will get you through your state test and then you will be able to apply for a job. Months after getting out of that program I landed a job as an EMT in a very tough hiring environment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker416 View Post
    There is a video demonstration of the proposed changes to the big 3 on the FSFC web site floridafireprograms.com I think it's under the media link.

It's my understanding that they are still proposed changes. The state had said they were going with them this year, then they backed off.
    My instructor friend is teaching the new Big 3 to the current class.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onlegendary View Post
    uhhh...in a word no! Springs IS one of the best academies in the state. They will get you through your state test and then you will be able to apply for a job. Months after getting out of that program I landed a job as an EMT in a very tough hiring environment.
    FMTI and HCI will get you through EMT and medic too, but they don't teach you how to do the job. There are some people who do learn from Springs but the MAJORITY of the ones I have tested can't even take down a 24' extension ladder by themselves. WTF over? So you are one of the few who learned more than just how to pass the state test, good for you. I still stand by my statment that Springs graduates are not up to par like BFA, IRCC and Ocala.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Went to the fire college in Ocala this week, seems like they have their act together, also they noted that they are adding an EMT program some time in Oct. I guess the part I can't get past is that they say they have an 88% job placement. Seems high for what I read in this forum that jobs are limited at the moment. Hopefully with a clean record, B.S and past experience will help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    Went to the fire college in Ocala this week, seems like they have their act together, also they noted that they are adding an EMT program some time in Oct. I guess the part I can't get past is that they say they have an 88% job placement. Seems high for what I read in this forum that jobs are limited at the moment. Hopefully with a clean record, B.S and past experience will help.
    I took a 3 day refresher at Ocala a while back before I had to recertify. I hope they run their classes tighter than the refresher. It was aweful. I did benefit from the class, but it could have been alot better.

Look forward to living in a dorm with a bunch of kids and PTing every morning.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UtilityCow View Post
    Look forward to living in a dorm with a bunch of kids and PTing every morning.
    I asked them about living in the dorm and they said that as long as I'm there by 7, I don't need to live in a dorm. And the PTing doesn't bother me in the morning, I hit the gym at 5:30 am every other day.

MembersZone Subscriber

FMTI and HCI will get you through EMT and medic too, but they don't teach you how to do the job. There are some people who do learn from Springs but the MAJORITY of the ones I have tested can't even take down a 24' extension ladder by themselves. WTF over? So you are one of the few who learned more than just how to pass the state test, good for you. I still stand by my statment that Springs graduates are not up to par like BFA, IRCC and Ocala.

Whatever, you can say the same thing about BFA and IRCC and even Ocala (although I hear good things about Ocala). The majority of the ones you have tested? What department do you work for? I'm guessing county.

It's all about the hype but here is some good press for Springs. I'll support them because I feel they gave me a good experiance:

January 24, 2008: Coral Springs Fire Academy Named Number One in the State
    The Florida Fire Training Directors Association has named the Coral Springs Fire Academy as “Fire Training Center of the Year” in Florida for 2007. Having only begun it’s own Fire and EMT academy a few years ago, this is quite an accomplishment for the Coral Springs Fire Department.

The competition for this annual award is always intense. Fire academies from all across the state, including the State Fire College in Ocala, were nominated for this coveted award.

The selection committee chose the Coral Springs Fire Academy for their outstanding performance in training future firefighters of this state, as well as their contributions to the development of innovative training programs and procedures that have become new standards for the training of firefighters across the state.

“This award showcases the importance of operating an academy that is built on a “Commitment to Excellence,” the Academy motto,” Chief of Training Robert Bertone said.

This recognition closely follows the City’s recent receipt of the nationally coveted Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.

“Our academy has had some of the highest passing rates in the state for several years now, and this award confirms our commitment to the quality of our graduates,” Bertone added.

The Academy has trained over 1,000 career firefighters in Flashover Awareness in the last two years, and continues to serve as a major training resource for 12 local fire departments and four local law enforcement agencies.

"The Award validates our commitment to excellence in preparing firefighters for the challenges associated with this most demanding and dangerous profession,” City Manager Mike Levinson said. “The beneficiaries of this Award are the people we serve."

Chief Training Officer Robert Bertone and Fire Chief Mark Curran will accept the award in Tallahassee in April.

For more information on this award, please contact Fire Department PIO Mike Moser at 754-224-1982 or by e-mail at mmoser@coralsprings.org.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onlegendary View Post
    Whatever, you can say the same thing about BFA and IRCC and even Ocala (although I hear good things about Ocala). The majority of the ones you have tested? What department do you work for? I'm guessing county.
    What do you want to say about those schools, that they're good ones? Already knew that. While I don't work for the county, I have tested a lot of applicants and the ones that do poorly 9 times out of 10 come from Springs. I have tested hundreds of applicants over the years so no matter what your article says my opinion is the same based on what I have seen over and over again. You can't form a more accurate opinion any other way. So you got an EMT job at a competitive dept, must be Plantation if your still in the area. If so then good for you, Plantation has a very, very good EMS system.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

So you got an EMT job at a competitive dept, must be Plantation if your still in the area. If so then good for you, Plantation has a very, very good EMS system.
    Hahaha no it's not Plantation. Isn't that a volunteer department?

As far as the schools:

It is like someone already said on this thread, that “it is what you make of it”. Some take a lot away from the school they go to and apply what they learned throughout their career. Others slip through the cracks and give their organization a bad name on the outside. When I was mentioning IRCC and BFA that was what I was referring to. Good and bad come from all of them. But anyway you seem set in your ways about this and I could really care less about what you think. To those that are trying to decide on a school just pick the one that's most convenient for you (price, location, schedule, etc…) and put forth your best effort and eventually your hard work will pay off.
    Last edited by onlegendary; 08-09-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added more

Forum Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Just wondering if anyone had been through fctc's progeam, it's in St. Augustine, FL. Does it honestly matter what school you attend don't they all have to cover the same material statewide?

Forum Member

I went to Lake Tech I highly recommend that school.

All schools must meet the state requirements as that is who proctors the test(s). I have yet to be asked for my school graduation certificate when I applied to any agencies. I was always asked for my state certification however. It is what you put into it!

Sorry as I do not have any information on FCTC.

-Rob

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by robs411 View Post
    I went to Lake Tech I highly recommend that school.

All schools must meet the state requirements as that is who proctors the test(s). I have yet to be asked for my school graduation certificate when I applied to any agencies. I was always asked for my state certification however. It is what you put into it!

Sorry as I do not have any information on FCTC.

-Rob
    No biggie. The more I read on here the more nervous I get about getting hired. I get that I won't be able to get on with a big department right away but is it really that hard to get on with a smaller department?

It is going to be pretty competitive no matter what. The City of Fort Myers just recieved 800 apps for 20 or so positions and I think they have 4 or 5 stations. (Not for sure on that) I work for a seperate dept so this could all be hear say, but I doubt it. Don't let that discourage you, if you put in your time you will get a job. Things are going to start turning around. I just heard the other day that 45% of Sarasota county's FF's will be retiring w/ in 5 years. So as you can see there will be spots just test every where you can and keep an eye on Sarasota county. I dont work for them, but believe them to be the best on the west coast of FL reguarding benifits and pay. Just my 2 cents. Good luck brother.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CodyK View Post
    No biggie. The more I read on here the more nervous I get about getting hired. I get that I won't be able to get on with a big department right away but is it really that hard to get on with a smaller department?
    Bro, if you want to get in the fire service, go to the fire academy that is closest to you. If you are in Broward you go to the one that you can get into first. Once you are in you work your *** off, respect your instructors and fellow students, and show up early. Ditto for EMT and medic school. Along the way you test for any and every department that is hiring and you are eligible to apply for. It isn't easy out there right now but it is NEVER easy getting into this field. You have to just go to school and keep your nose clean. You cannot get discouraged by what people tell you or what you read. Nothing good comes easy and this career isnt good, its GREAT. Don't concern yourself with not being able to get on a larger department or if it is difficult to get on a smaller department. Just take one step at a time and do your best in school. And for Gods sake dont be an idiot and get DUIs or driving citations. Do these things and good things will happen. Best of luck to you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
    Bro, if you want to get in the fire service, go to the fire academy that is closest to you. If you are in Broward you go to the one that you can get into first. Once you are in you work your *** off, respect your instructors and fellow students, and show up early. Ditto for EMT and medic school. Along the way you test for any and every department that is hiring and you are eligible to apply for. It isn't easy out there right now but it is NEVER easy getting into this field. You have to just go to school and keep your nose clean. You cannot get discouraged by what people tell you or what you read. Nothing good comes easy and this career isnt good, its GREAT. Don't concern yourself with not being able to get on a larger department or if it is difficult to get on a smaller department. Just take one step at a time and do your best in school. And for Gods sake dont be an idiot and get DUIs or driving citations. Do these things and good things will happen. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for the support man. Had to go take an entrance exam last night to enroll at fctc scored in the top 99% even though it's just basic high school stuff I was excited. Got to schedule my drug test today and I'm waiting to hear back on a blood test I did saturday to see if I have had the Hep B shots (I had the paper work for the first 2 but couldn't find the third). After that I should be able to submit my application for emt school and start up in January so excited!! Then submit everything for ff 1 which starts in June. I've read alot of people do emt, paramedic, then ff1&2. But I'd like to start trying to get on somewhere and then work on paramedic. I can honestly say after a a year of night school I don't know if I'm going to be ready to dive into another 11 months of school for paramedic. I might wait until I've paid off some of the cost of ff/emt then save up for medic school.

Forum Member

CodyK, Just a thought, I would volunteer at a department close to you, helps for experience and most will give you gear that you can for F I&II, saves you a couple of bucks. Much like beachfire said it's going to be hard to get a job on either a small or large department but if you never give up and continue to send out applications one will bite....

Make sure you get your F I&II Pro Board cert this will allow you to apply to other states that recongize it.

Forum Member

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Miami Dade Community College Fire Academy? I heard they just got a new facility.

Thread Information