Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Florida Firefighter Schools

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pradio068 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Miami Dade Community College Fire Academy? I heard they just got a new facility.
    I went to Miami Dade summer of last year. I really enjoyed it, and they have amazing instructors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    CodyK, Just a thought, I would volunteer at a department close to you, helps for experience and most will give you gear that you can for F I&II, saves you a couple of bucks. Much like beachfire said it's going to be hard to get a job on either a small or large department but if you never give up and continue to send out applications one will bite....

Make sure you get your F I&II Pro Board cert this will allow you to apply to other states that recongize it.
    With working from 8-5 and then class from 6-10 three nights a week and all day saturday there really isn't alot of time left to volunteer. After I get out of school while looking for a job that might be something I look into though. I wish I could go to emt and ff1&2 during the day its so much quicker. But with bills to pay night school is the only option. For anyone that's gone through firefighter 1 & 2, do you do "training" nightly/daily like running, pushups, pullups that kind of stuff. Just trying to prepare myself for what's coming. Oh and what's included in the physical test you take to get into the class?

On a side note went and did my **** test this morning and at lunch I'm going to get the tb test and I should have everything I need to send my application in.
    Last edited by CodyK; 11-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    When I did school down there in 2000 I was in the same boat. Worked during the day and had class Tues Wed and Thurs nights, and all day Sat. The only time we PTd was Saturdays, the nights were classrom work only.

Hope that helps
    Yup it does. That's not too bad then I was just wondering if we would be running everynight.

Does anyone have any information on the physical test you have to pass in order to get into the class. What all is included?

Forum Member

To re-state what was said above, it doesn't matter where you go to fire school. No hiring board cares what name is on your FF Cert, just that you have one.
    Some schools do a lot more burns and add in rappeling and other stuff, but in the end its just more time and more money. Plus, when you get on a department, it doesn't matter what school you went to, any good department will put you through their own training and the instructors will tell you that they don't care what school you went to.

As for Miami-Dade Fire Academy, it in my opinion is very very good. It is the cheapest and they provide you with gear. Plus, the instructors are all guys from very busy houses in Miami Dade and Hialeah and have a lot of experience. They offer a full-time and a part time class and they are very dedicated.

The new training center is for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue over at their Doral headquarters. It is only for the guys that are hired by them. The Miami Dade College school is in North Miami and has a great burn building.

Forum Member

Just to Add my two cents i recently grad from PBCC, Like someone stated the really don't care where you went and your cert doesn't say i grad from so and so school, what they care about is if you can do the job. And no matter where you go you make it what you want, i feel i gained a lot knowledge from PBCC, I had seasoned inst. who put in the extra effort and time to mold us. And yes the big 3 has changed but it doesn't mean that the school still don't bust you butt. And PT doesn't make a firefighter. the strongest guy in the world isn't worth spit if he has no clue what he is doing. As i saw it i would much rather gain knowledge and be forced to work on my physical fitness myself rather than be in shape and not have the slightest idea the difference between a wye and a siamese. but like someone else stated go to whatever college you can afford and is close to you and make the best of it bury your face in the book and pick your inst. brains. Cause when you get on the job all those "minimum standards" cause thats exactly what they are will change. Your dept will have different SOPS on how to handle a ladder or what size hose your run supply with or what you attack with. Palm Beach county hardly ever pulls 1" 1/2" any more they usually pull a 2" blitz line. remember no matter how much "learning" you get in the academy only time on the job will teach you the real lessons.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've always lifted weights but I'm trying to do alot more pullups,pushups and alot more running. Because I figure that's what the PT time would consist of. Just to get myself in shape I'm trying to work my way up to around 5 miles at a 10/min mile pace by June. What is your typical pt time like in school. How far do you run? Is it timed? Is it flat surface or stairs? Just trying to get myself prepared the best I can because I love to finish first

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CodyK View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've always lifted weights but I'm trying to do alot more pullups,pushups and alot more running. Because I figure that's what the PT time would consist of. Just to get myself in shape I'm trying to work my way up to around 5 miles at a 10/min mile pace by June. What is your typical pt time like in school. How far do you run? Is it timed? Is it flat surface or stairs? Just trying to get myself prepared the best I can because I love to finish first
    you will run on flat surfaces, you will run stairs, you will run stairs with a high rise pack, you will hit a kaiser sled, plus pullups, situps, burpees, pushups, pushups, pushups, more stairs. you get the idea. if u want to keep up your weight training that is fine, but i would DEFINITELY RUN and do STAIRS. mix it up like a circuit, do 10 flights of stairs, then 25 pushups (or however many feel good for you), do 10 more flights, then some burpees, Tabata intervals, 20 seconds of sprints, 10 seconds of jogging. do that for 8 reps and then do some box jumps. this is the kind of stuff that will get you in firefighting shape. during Miami Beaches probationary period you have to climb Portofino Tower, up/down, which is 44 flights in full bunker gear on air using a 45 bottle. no time limit but if you run out of air you fail. it is no joke and believe me it messes with your head, lol. anyway, best of luck to you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    To re-state what was said above, it doesn't matter where you go to fire school. No hiring board cares what name is on your FF Cert, just that you have one.
    Some schools do a lot more burns and add in rappeling and other stuff, but in the end its just more time and more money. Plus, when you get on a department, it doesn't matter what school you went to, any good department will put you through their own training and the instructors will tell you that they don't care what school you went to.

As for Miami-Dade Fire Academy, it in my opinion is very very good. It is the cheapest and they provide you with gear. Plus, the instructors are all guys from very busy houses in Miami Dade and Hialeah and have a lot of experience. They offer a full-time and a part time class and they are very dedicated.

The new training center is for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue over at their Doral headquarters. It is only for the guys that are hired by them. The Miami Dade College school is in North Miami and has a great burn building.
    dead on Deluge.

Forum Member

I went to FCTC this year for EMT and Fire 1 and 2. Emt school is relaxed. Fire school not so much. Fire school in summer anywhere in Florida is going to suck. The school is pretty physical. PT is mostly made up of dragging hose and stairs. Theres pushups and pullups in there as well. Not much running. The day class is tough, not much time for the rest of your life after you add in all the studying. Most instructors are great. Some could use a little sharpenning of their skills. Fire 1 is mostly book work and slow. Fire 2 is mostly outside.
    It's a good school. I can't compare it to any other school because this one is all I know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
    you will run on flat surfaces, you will run stairs, you will run stairs with a high rise pack, you will hit a kaiser sled, plus pullups, situps, burpees, pushups, pushups, pushups, more stairs. you get the idea. if u want to keep up your weight training that is fine, but i would DEFINITELY RUN and do STAIRS. mix it up like a circuit, do 10 flights of stairs, then 25 pushups (or however many feel good for you), do 10 more flights, then some burpees, Tabata intervals, 20 seconds of sprints, 10 seconds of jogging. do that for 8 reps and then do some box jumps. this is the kind of stuff that will get you in firefighting shape. during Miami Beaches probationary period you have to climb Portofino Tower, up/down, which is 44 flights in full bunker gear on air using a 45 bottle. no time limit but if you run out of air you fail. it is no joke and believe me it messes with your head, lol. anyway, best of luck to you.
    Good to know so I really don't need to concentrate on jogging? There isn't any distance running? I think I'll be fine doing the other stuff. I've got to find somewhere to run some stairs. Thanks for the help man. I just didn't want to train to be able to run 5 miles if you never do anything more than sprints or running up and down stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by R1andy998 View Post
    I went to FCTC this year for EMT and Fire 1 and 2. Emt school is relaxed. Fire school not so much. Fire school in summer anywhere in Florida is going to suck. The school is pretty physical. PT is mostly made up of dragging hose and stairs. Theres pushups and pullups in there as well. Not much running. The day class is tough, not much time for the rest of your life after you add in all the studying. Most instructors are great. Some could use a little sharpenning of their skills. Fire 1 is mostly book work and slow. Fire 2 is mostly outside.
    It's a good school. I can't compare it to any other school because this one is all I know.
    Was the physical stuff similar to what was described above on pt days? I'm sure the next year of my life is going to be just sleeping, working, & class.

I'm basically done with weights for the time being everything I do is going to be pushups, pullups, crunches, stairs, and sprinting. I've already lost a few pounds nothing crazy. I was 6 foot 194 I wouldn't be suprised if I'm down to 190ish now.

Forum Member

One other thing did you guys work at a hospital at all or do any ride alongs with medics or anything while in emt school or is the whole thing done in class?

Forum Member

hey you will be running long distances in school for sure.

Forum Member

How far did you typically have to run. I'm going to keep running but I don't want to concentrate on distance if it's mostly stairs and other physical stuff .

Forum Member

The furthest we ran was maybe 1.5 miles once or twice. They were big on dragging hose until someone puked and running up and down the tower with a high rise pack.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CodyK View Post
    One other thing did you guys work at a hospital at all or do any ride alongs with medics or anything while in emt school or is the whole thing done in class?
    2 12's in the hospital and 3 ride-alongs with ST Johns County fire rescue or Clay County.

I chose Shands ER in Jacksonville so I could see some good stuff, and I did.

Forum Member

The furthest we ran was maybe 1.5 miles once or twice. They were big on dragging hose until someone puked and running up and down the tower with a high rise pack.
    Ok sweet that's cake.
    2 12's in the hospital and 3 ride-alongs with ST Johns County fire rescue or Clay County.

I chose Shands ER in Jacksonville so I could see some good stuff, and I did.
    Sweet. Are you just there to watch or do you get to do stuff?

Forum Member

Citrus County Fire Academy, which in pretty much is the sister college to Florida State because the instructors that taught and teach out at florida state designed citrus county's facility and program. Other school's come to use the burn building and other facility's. Also please don't go to a fire school that just run's a few laps and goes in for book work all day and only does 2 burn's to meet the minimum teaching.

Best of luck.

Forum Member

it doesn't matter one bit where you go to the fire academy. Whatever meets your schedule, price, etc is the one I would pick. Once you are State certified you don't even need to put what fire academy you went to on your resume or application.

I don't even think it matters if you find one that does the bare minimum or one that goes above and beyond. By the time you are certified, get through emt school, go through the 3+ months of any hiring process you're going to forget a lot of it. You're going to really learn everything you need to know on the job. I've worked at three different departments and they all told me to "forget what you learned in the academy," and showed me how they wanted me to do things.

I know a lot of people who went to Citrus County fire academy, and I am so glad I didn't go there. They may do more than minimum standards, but they also push their students way too far and I've heard of them kicking out students (without a refund) for falling out on live fire days.

The academy I went to didn't make us do any extra physical training on live fire days, because they wanted us to be safe and learn from everything we did that day. Citrus County makes you go into the burn building, then do a standpipe evolution, then go back in the burn building. Then they kick you out if you don't complete any of it. That's just asking for someone to hurt themselves or someone else. I don't know any fire department who does training like that because it's not safe and does not benefit the students in my opinion.

Forum Member

I agree with those that recommended to go where what fits you (distance, tuition, whatever caters to you most). I went to Lake County and it was a great school and great instructors, but at the end of the day, my friends (who attended seminole and central fl.) including myself are all hired not based on what school we attended. I can say that at least these schools in the central fl. are good, not to say others are not, i know they are good schools. I have heard of some schools being not so great however, where one class had a 60% fail rate on their state test I do know the Fl. St. Fire College is a great school but is pricey, they too receive the same cert. upon passing the state test as all of us do. So I highly recommend that you choose a school that is convenient for you and research to make sure that the instructors and resource are good enough to pass the state test. Good luck to ya.

Forum Member

FORT MYERS FIRE ACADEMY!!!!

Great Academy, A little rough at times but i guess it depends on what Knuckleheads you have in your class Plus it is an academy soo... Its kind of like some look for anything for you to screw up to make you do some hard physical PT but they whip you in shape big time and get you ready and show you how deep you really can dig!! ALOT of GREAT instructors quite a few rough necks too but you gotta love it when someone is pushing you...

Overall they have a GREAT passing rating!! And Chief DeArmond is the BEST of the BEST Everyone that graduates wants to work at his station best guy ever!!

http://www.swfpsa.org/content.php?l=2

Forum Member

Try Manatee Technical Institute in Bradenton.

More specifically, MTI-Lakewood Ranch Campus.
    PROUD FHP Grandson

Forum Member

Try Palm Beach State College. They have really nice facilities.
    Last edited by whosaidwhatwhen; 04-23-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Broward Fire Academy is top notch. Stay away from Coral Springs' academy if you are coming down south.
    Agreed! Coral Springs Fire Academy sucks!

Forum Member

Can you elaborate why you think that place sucks? Just asking because I was planning to attend that academy.

Thread Information