Forum Member

Default What is this world coming to?(17 teens pregnant)

17 girls, all 16 or under have apparently made a pact to get pregnant...

GLOUCESTER, Mass. -- The girls showed up repeatedly at the high school health clinic, asking for pregnancy tests. But their reactions to the test results were puzzling: high-fives if they were expecting, long faces if they weren't.

School officials in this hard-luck New England fishing town say an alarming 17 girls _ four times the usual number _ became pregnant this year. And even more disturbing: Some of the girls may have made a pact to have babies and raise them together.

"A typical girl you would think would say, `Oh my God! What am I going to do now? How am I going to support this baby? How am I going to finish school?'" Superintendent Christopher Farmer said. "These young women clearly have not seen that."

The story exploded after Joseph Sullivan, the principal of Gloucester High School, was quoted by Time magazine this week as saying the girls confessed to making such a pact. Sullivan was on vacation Friday and did not return calls for comment.

The superintendent said he had no independent confirmation of a pact. But he added: "What we do know is there was a group of students being tested for pregnancy on a regular basis, which would suggest they were not taking steps to avoid becoming pregnant, and that when some of them had their babies, they appeared to be very pleased."

None of the girls or their families have come forward to confirm any type of pact, and school and health officials have not identified any of the youngsters.

The girls are all 16 or under, nearly all of them sophomores. The superintendent said they have been reluctant to identify the fathers, many of whom are older. But one of them "is a 24-year-old homeless guy," the principal was quoted as telling Time.

City and school officials in this town of about 30,000 people 30 miles north of Boston have been struggling for months to explain and deal with the pregnancies, where on average only four girls a year at the 1,200-student high school become pregnant.

Just last month, two officials at the high school health center resigned to protest the local hospital's refusal to support a proposal to distribute contraceptives to youngsters at the school without parental consent. The hospital controls the clinic's funding.

Mayor Carolyn Kirk said Friday there are many contributing factors to what she called a "blip" in the pregnancy rate, from glamorization of teen pregnancy in pop culture to cuts in funding that have reduced teachers and health classes in Gloucester.

"We have fallen on hard times," Kirk said of her city, which has suffered in recent decades with the decline in the fishing industry that has defined Gloucester since the colonial era.

Gloucester is the town that lost six fishermen in the 1991 shipwreck that inspired the book and movie "The Perfect Storm." Its high school teams are known as the Fighting Fishermen.

Student Council member Emily Spreer said many of the girls came from difficult socioeconomic circumstances: "Their circle or clique, they're not the most fortunate family-wise."

"If you're a young person who really is struggling to find an identity for herself, absent the support and the guidance, it can become almost a default option for some to become a mom," said Patricia Quinn, executive director of the Massachusetts Alliance on Teen Pregnancy. "We need to do more for young people and show them more paths."

Gloucester _ a heavily Roman Catholic town with a large Italian and Portuguese population _ has long been supportive of teen mothers. The high school has a day care center for students and employees.

Christen Callahan, a former Gloucester High student who had a child when she was 15, said on NBC's "Today" show that some of the girls would ask her about her own pregnancy. "They would say stuff like, `Oh, I think my parents would be fine with it and they would help me,' stuff like that," Callahan said.

Sarah Brown, chief executive of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, suggested some of the blame lies with the nation's Hollywood-obsessed culture, in which stories about pregnant celebrities abound.

Just this week, 17-year-old TV star Jamie Lynn Spears, the unmarried sister of Britney Spears, gave birth. "Juno," a wry comedy about a 16-year-old girl who gets pregnant, was one of the most acclaimed movies of the year.

"Baby bumps get written about the same way designer handbags do. It's just one more lifestyle choice, just another personal expression: these shoes, this bump and that handbag," Brown said. "It's not surprising that teenage girls can get confused or even seduced by the allure of celebrity pregnancy."

MembersZone Subscriber

Sarah Brown, chief executive of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, suggested some of the blame lies with the nation's Hollywood-obsessed culture, in which stories about pregnant celebrities abound.
    I hate to tell Ms. Brown, but I believe the bigger problem lies a little above her quote....

"If you're a young person who really is struggling to find an identity for herself, absent the support and the guidance, it can become almost a default option for some to become a mom," said Patricia Quinn, executive director of the Massachusetts Alliance on Teen Pregnancy. "We need to do more for young people and show them more paths."
    and...
    "They would say stuff like, `Oh, I think my parents would be fine with it and they would help me,' stuff like that," Callahan said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    17 girls, all 16 or under have apparently made a pact to get pregnant...
    "They would say stuff like, `Oh, I think my parents would be fine with it and they would help me,' stuff like that," Callahan said.

"

What 17 or 18 sets of parents need to do is take their daughters to the guys that got "lucky" with them,and announce that they are now held responsible for the baby's every need for the next 18 years.
    Running out will result in statutory rape charges.I'd like to add"And facing her angry uncle who has a boat,cinder blocks and lots of friends on the police force....." but that's just me talking.
    The parents of these girls should have taught them better but once they start trying to show that they are adults,those girls need to be shown how hard it is to raise kids.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another aspect I just happened to think of that hides between the lines. Did the school bother to report to the parents of these children that they were coming in to get pregnancy tests and doing so rather frequently?

While I am one that believes parents in this country need to start being parents, some responsibility falls upon the school to make sure parents are aware of what is going on with their children. Quite frankly, if I had a daughter seeking pregnancy test (why the hell are these available in a school, anyway?) on a regular basis and I was not notified, my first stop would be to the attorney's office.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Another aspect I just happened to think of that hides between the lines. Did the school bother to report to the parents of these children that they were coming in to get pregnancy tests and doing so rather frequently?

While I am one that believes parents in this country need to start being parents, some responsibility falls upon the school to make sure parents are aware of what is going on with their children. Quite frankly, if I had a daughter seeking pregnancy test (why the hell are these available in a school, anyway?) on a regular basis and I was not notified, my first stop would be to the attorney's office.

That's something else.Except for emergencies,a parent is supposed to pass on medical procedures for their minor children.A pregnancy test or abortion is supposed to "merely" be a medical procedure yet parents are cut out of the response when a minor girl wants either.
    Go figure.
    I think I can see why.How many of us in the course of administering EMS services,have had to ask a young girl if she were pregnant and have to fend off angry relatives or have someone else fend them off?
    It may be the thought that the school nurse should not have to face an angry father over dispensing birth control or a pregnancy test but if the girls are going to say"Oh,my parents wll help me raise my baby" then shouldn't the parents be told before they are finding out that they're to be grandparents?
    Last edited by doughesson; 06-21-2008 at 03:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Way to Go......

Huh, a town with a pregnancy problem from Ted Kennedy's state. Look, notta surprised face..... LMAO

Statutory rape charges, parents acting like parents and giving their kids some guidance, educational programs in schools, a lotta common sense, kids that want more and better than they're parents had and a lil' self-respect would solve or help to curve this problem.

Then again, if this seems to be socially accepted as it seems from the article since I don't agree with that type of life, I'm certainly not gonna move my wife and 3 daughters to there.

Again, it's the voicetruss minority forcing their opinions on the voiceless majority.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Hornets nest about to be kicked. And before anyone asks, I have two daughters, ages 21 and 13.

I have several points.

1. The only reason this is news is because these girls are white. There is a tremendous problem in the inner city where black teen girls become pregnant at an alarming rate. So far, very few people cared.

2. There is some validity to the point about the media. However, the best educational program you could have for teen girls is to let them spend one day taking care of a real baby by themselves. Then, when they see how much fun that is, let them see how far their welfare check will go. They, let them find out how hard it is to be a working mom with all its accompanying hardships. That ought to fix it.

3. Don't be surprised if the media is blowing this story out of proportion. I heard the School Super on the news telling the interviewer that they were making alot of the story up as they went along.

4. The true victims here are these little babies.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    1. The only reason this is news is because these girls are white. There is a tremendous problem in the inner city where black teen girls become pregnant at an alarming rate. So far, very few people cared.
    I feel it has reached the news more so because so many girls have made a pact to all have babies around the same timeframe and the fact that the pregnancy rate in that town is around only 4 per year. I think it would still be in the news if they all were black, the article doesn't mention the girls race I'm assuming you've seen other articles about it.
    3. Don't be surprised if the media is blowing this story out of proportion. I heard the School Super on the news telling the interviewer that they were making alot of the story up as they went along.
    This is probably true, such as the high-fiving. May actually be just that the mother to be was happy and they hugged. Not all young pregnant females are upset, even unplanned pregnancies. I find it funny how the superintendent says he is reluctant to identify fathers but then slips in that a 24 year old homeless man is one and other fathers are also older. Aren't they required to supply information to the authorities if they know of statutory rape?

Forum Member

This on the heels of a study last month about 1 in 5 teenage girls in our country having had a sexually transmitted disease.

By law, a child's medical issues do not have to be released to their parents. Now I do not have children, don't want them either, but there are NUMEROUS court ruling thying the hands of medical providers regarding releasing information.

When I treat and examine children with parents in the room I ask if it is OK to discuss some "personal" things in front of them. By law the parents do not need to be present when I ask about their sexual history, STD history, or drug use history.

So for th eschool to not tell the parents it is a policy that could easily result in a HUGE civil fine if it were not in place.

And since parents think it is OK to buy booze for their kids' parties, smoke dope with them, and think it is wonderful that they are dating around - is anybody really surprised?

Since I have routinely taken care of pregnant 13 year olds, 16 year olds on their third pregnancy, and women who have had numerous abortions (and I am not talking about hookers) you really have to wonder why this is such big news? Appaling, but why big news in these times?

And George is right - inner city girls are pregnant all over this nation, so why is a lilly white (albeit relatively poor) place like Gloucester, MA such a big story. Oh yeah, race. Go figure.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information