Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Secondary Employment

The IAFF prohibits firefighters from volunteering on their off days as well as secondary employment in various areas. It has been brought to my attention that although I am a full time IAFF firefighter, I am not allowed to work a secondary job as a part time fire instructor at a county fire academy. Does anyone else know about secondary employment restrictions?

Many of your IAFF brothers work at the the Massachusetts Fire Academy.

I know.. I'm one of them!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm an IAFF member and wouldn't have it any other way. But that is the dumbest thing, not allowing you to teach. How else do firefighters learn......from experienced firefighters?

I'm an adult and I will make my own decisions on my part time job. If I felt compeled to teach up and coming firefighters I will do it whole heartedly and not wonder if the IAFF approves of my actions.

The county fire academy staff is covered by their own IAFF local and I believe that is why I can't work there part time. I was told that any job title that can be covered by the IAFF you can't work part-time. Example firefighter, emt, paramedic, dispatcher, etc.. Do any other locals follow this?

Is there truth that if you are full-time career IAFF firefighter, you cannot work part-time a job that the IAFF covers such as: fire instructors, firefighters, emergency medical technicians, paramedics, and dispatchers? All of these jobs have IAFF representations so that means you cannot work as a paramedic part-time or instructor part time because there are locals for them?

Thread Information