Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safer 2008

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Exclamation Safer 2008

I would hope that me submitting SAFER App #176 is a sign that everyone is waiting until this week to press the button. 1727 apps in 2006, 1503 in 2007.

Hiring is an expensive proposition, but considering that there have been over 1,000 apps each year and there are maybe 5,000 departments with any paid personnel, I'd say that side is holding up the bargain.

I can't find a reason that anyone wouldn't want free recruitment and retention money for up to 4 years. R&R has no matching requirement. Uniforms, plaques, and other 'thanks for helping out' stuff are all eligible. Folks it doesn't have to be an expensive and elaborate project, out of 83 awards so far 40 of them are under $70k. Which ain't much.

I'm probably preaching to the choir in this crowd, but dang, spread the word. I don't know about Kurt but a surprising portion of the folks that came to my workshops didn't know how much stuff was eligible in SAFER. R&R is rumored to be on the chopping block if the app counts don't come up, and hiring will be the only activity.

Sorry for a Sunday sermon but I'd hate to see a program go away when so many need the funds. $190mil in this year's program, $80mil increase. All those that got turned down last year should be polishing and resubmitting. The hard work was already done, stick to your guns and get after it.

- Brian
    Last edited by BC79er; 06-22-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

App #169 for $46,500 earlier this afternoon... only one that I have Brain!, not as much interest as I expected in my area of the world. I have been trying to get some more local volly departments on board, but I haven't had much luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Was number 115 on June 19 for Recruitment and Retention.

Forum Member

Worked all weekend. I'm stumped on please explain the extent of impact on the communities/population. Help!!!!!!

Forum Member

Sorry, forgot to mention R & R. Guess my brain is #$^%&

FH Mag/.com Contributor

What good will come of it? Will you have more people? Will you get more out of the existing ones? Improved service to the community with more bodies/inspections/fire prevention classes? Enquiring minds will want to know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    What good will come of it? Will you have more people? Will you get more out of the existing ones? Improved service to the community with more bodies/inspections/fire prevention classes? Enquiring minds will want to know.
    Thanks for repairing my brain fart!

Ditto Brian! Have been a little surprised this year that more apps were not tried.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

With the economy faultering and prices sky rocketing, it will be interesting to see what % of the departments will not accept or return an award for Hiring. Cities/towns in this state are having a difficult time setting a budget for next year, let alone 2, 3, 4 or 5 years down the road.

I know of one department that has or will be refusing a Hiring grant. By the time of the award the department had already lost personnel through attrition which the city does not plan on filling meaning they can not fullfill the requirements of the grant.

A second department has not been awarded yet (probably recieved the q's), but there is a discussion about whether to accept if awarded. The Town wants a guarantee from the Chief, that the savings from reducing OT will occur through the life of the grant.

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    With the economy faultering and prices sky rocketing, it will be interesting to see what % of the departments will not accept or return an award for Hiring. Cities/towns in this state are having a difficult time setting a budget for next year, let alone 2, 3, 4 or 5 years down the road.

I know of one department that has or will be refusing a Hiring grant. By the time of the award the department had already lost personnel through attrition which the city does not plan on filling meaning they can not fullfill the requirements of the grant.

A second department has not been awarded yet (probably recieved the q's), but there is a discussion about whether to accept if awarded. The Town wants a guarantee from the Chief, that the savings from reducing OT will occur through the life of the grant.
    Hearing and seeing similar things here onebugle. Most departments are sweating bullets on layoffs or hiring freezes and hardly anyone can give you even an inkling of what their budget will be this coming year. I think everyone is wanting a crystal ball on the upcoming economy; come to think of it, I would not mind having one either.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

I'm sure glad that we're not officially in a recession.

Not only affecting the big city career depts. The budget crisis is widespread and we also have a naval air station closing to deal with . the economic impact to consider in future budget process will be lot jobs , dropping real estate values which equals less tax revenue . the state funding for schools is being decreased which = more local tax money to schools which = less $$$ for public safety.
    Whew that is a scary thought

Forum Member

Well, we are on the clock now.

EMW-2008-FF-00528 4 year R&R program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer

6/26/08 16:30 eastern time #551 Hiring

forgot to put in that we pressed submit last night R+R #0414 .
    doesn't seem like many apps, maybe we will have a chance at the dance.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Was 508 around noon when I hit one. I've got about 15 more that haven't dropped the hammer yet so hopefully we crack the grand mark. Hard to convince people we need this is no one is applying.

Forum Member

Smile

Just submitted #583 for R & R Staffing needs assessment for $35,000.

Thread Information