Thread: Kwajalein Fire

Forum Member

Any Marshallese FF's left? I remember when they went to Texax A&M for training. My guess would be maybe Ronnie Debrum. I think Cappelle left, as well as the others, Lemari, etc.

I left Roi 10 years ago, I am sure it has changed alot. I remember days of going to work, checking out truck, go to chow, come back and sleep until lunch and then do it all over again.

Going out to Navy boats PU sick & injured people. Bring in others from distant islands with serious accidents. Delivered all those babies! Fishing, diving, the sunrise and sunset, it was quite the place...

I heard old Byron White (you wanna beef bruda?) went to las Vegas.
    Slatton, Brown, Midkiff(married a girl from pohnepie), Shane Walker, Ranger, Coomes, Killiam, Jay Kilborn, Chick? Phil Welch, the Capt who married a Marshallese and moved to Majoro. Fred from altair. Before Leverret retired from the AF and came over. When Chris Gale did training (MIA on the forums, Chief G!), when OP was a Capt. Richards Brooks who worked so hard to get the club built.

The old Doc at Roi retired from being a WWII Corpsman who took care of anything and everything at the Nurses office for years, in his matching polyester suits! Watching the mail bags come off the plane and wonder if you got anything. Looking forward to fresh fruit and newspapers once a week....
    Last edited by devildog4; 09-10-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Anyone have an e-mail for the hiring Chief or the best person to contact to send a resume?

Anyone have contact information for the hiring Chief or whoever a resume needs to go to? Thanks!

Forum Member

Default Mia???????

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    Any Marshallese FF's left? I remember when they went to Texax A&M for training. My guess would be maybe Ronnie Debrum. I think Cappelle left, as well as the others, Lemari, etc.

I left Roi 10 years ago, I am sure it has changed alot. I remember days of going to work, checking out truck, go to chow, come back and sleep until lunch and then do it all over again.

Going out to Navy boats PU sick & injured people. Bring in others from distant islands with serious accidents. Delivered all those babies! Fishing, diving, the sunrise and sunset, it was quite the place...

I heard old Byron White (you wanna beef bruda?) went to las Vegas.
    Slatton, Brown, Midkiff(married a girl from pohnepie), Shane Walker, Ranger, Coomes, Killiam, Jay Kilborn, Chick? Phil Welch, the Capt who married a Marshallese and moved to Majoro. Fred from altair. Before Leverret retired from the AF and came over. When Chris Gale did training (MIA on the forums, Chief G!), when OP was a Capt. Richards Brooks who worked so hard to get the club built.

The old Doc at Roi retired from being a WWII Corpsman who took care of anything and everything at the Nurses office for years, in his matching polyester suits! Watching the mail bags come off the plane and wonder if you got anything. Looking forward to fresh fruit and newspapers once a week....
    What do you mean I am MIA????? I have been around. I have just had a lot of work recently and was distracted with other things as well. I have to admit, it did bring a smile to my face seeing some of the old names on here, especially Ranger (Ex-roommate on Roi). This guy was classic along with Mike Best and Vince Chan "The Man". These guys still give me great stories to think of... Let me see, Mike how did you lose the hazmat truck at the dining hall and why do we now have the FacMaint plumbing truck???

For those planning on going to Kwaj, do it. As mentioned in this post, it is a great break from life and you can obtain your certs and finish your degree. Besides the recreational activities, it is a nice comfortable life. Just get used to the frequent rain showers and the bike ride to work. For those that golf, this is a great way to get your game down. You can play the front nine on Kwaj and the back nine at Roi, that is if you can make the flight to Roi.

Even though you may suffer from cabin fever from time to time, take the opportunity to get out to the other islands. If you go to Ponehpei, stay at the Village hotel and order a Bloody Mary, it is the best in the world.

Really, MIA?????? I should write more often then.....

Chief G

Default Contact

Ch G,

Could you please contact me via my email address to discuss Chief Fire Officer billet openings where you are stationed. Thank you in advance for your time.

v/r,
    Ben

gtmoasstchief@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Wink Bottle Necking at HR

To anyone applying, thank you for your patience. HR in Huntsville Alabama seems to be slow to hire anyone at the moment. Which is partly why Im posting this "blog" if you will. Its not the Island, they really need us. The company is having budget issues. If you applied within the last several months, I can only say keep hanging on. October 1, the budget for 2009 is renewed and HR can begin to hire people without needing managers to scream at them for people. Trust me, running a department with 11 short members can be stressful for any officer. Even more so for those on the line working until your head explodes.
    I'm looking at all the emails and responding to everyone as they come along. So, keep me posted with your training/certs. Just need ARFF and FFI or FFII IFSAC Proboard, or DOD.
    Anyone who is dealing with slow movement on your paperwork send me a message about it. I will review it and forward it to someone who can help.

And, thanks Roi Rats for the other posts about the Island. Its unlike living and working anywhere else in the world. And You can get far in your careers after being here. College wise, and with the Professional Certifications you will acquire. Not to mention learning how to reel in a big game fish, etc. The Marshallese chicks dig guys who know how to fish. LOL.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

A Hot Shower, Some Fresh Fish And A Bag Of Kit-kat Assures Some Female Company Thruout The Night. Just Make Sure The Marshallese Guard At The Marina Gets His Bottle Of Cj Or Vodka And Everthing Is Ok!

Question Trying to get out to the Island?

I turned my application in to KRS about mid september 08, thats after my phone interview with the AC. Have not heard anything as of lately, should I keep waiting till oct?

Forum Member

Several positions are open for both EMT and Firefighter. Positions are open at both islands, but mainly on Kwaj. If anyone wants to know, Blain is still on Roi, Opie left a bit ago, Steve Scruton is the Fire Chief. I work on Roi, love it.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=devildog4;987026]Any Marshallese FF's left? I remember when they went to Texax A&M for training. My guess would be maybe Ronnie Debrum. I think Cappelle left, as well as the others, Lemari, etc.
    QUOTE]
    Ronni Debrum is on Kwaj now working as a FF. The other FF is Geddidi Loran. He used to work in prevention, went to Texas for his FF. So, we have a few Marshallese Firefighters.

Forum Member

Bob Barker. No brainer. haha. Whats up. Im on Kwaj now. Got a guy coming out on Continental today. Should hang around Kwaj for the next couple days then fly up to Roi. We may end up keeping him though. Just so you can keep the OT, and I can go surf.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireant22 View Post
    I turned my application in to KRS about mid september 08, thats after my phone interview with the AC. Have not heard anything as of lately, should I keep waiting till oct?
    Whats your current status?

Forum Member

Finally some guys who are CURRENTLY there rather than this old nostalgia stuff.

Alright fellas, I've heard both ways on this, now maybe y'all can give me the straight scoop.

Is ARFF a requirement or not?

Forum Member

Nick.....Married life is better when youa are away for a while...lol. No...send him up, sooner the better. I like OT but I do have my limits. Firezapper, ARFF was a requirement, but in the last job info on the company ARFF is desired not required. Roi needs EMT's who is willing to take charge of PT care.

Forum Member

I get asked if ARFF is a requirement all the time. The answer is yes. This changed a few years ago after the military conducted an audit. Its required for the airfield, and the station is mainly here due to the fact.

Forum Member

Thanks, Jet.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsettingfire1 View Post
    Whats your current status?
    Well as of right now I'm just waiting. Talked to the Assistant chief about mid september, was sent an application which I returned promptly.As of lately I haven't heard a word.

I'm sure Kwaj has changed since I was there 5 years ago but I enjoyed it.

Forum Member

Fireant-send me a message. I'll check up on your status. Its no prob.

Forum Member

So the best route to get hired is to contact one of the chiefs on the island?

Forum Member

Wink

Getting in touch with the Fire Chiefs will not get you get hired. When HR finds a prospect its passed on to the AC Chief of Ops. He then does a telephone interview. This interview can be frustrating due to the long distance, echo, static, and sometimes line disconnect. At this point, unless your an absolute tool, you got the job.
    The Chiefs arenít responsible for the screening and hiring process as much as they would be back in the US. (There's a delay in hiring because of this). What we need on Kwaj and what gets done about it stateside (where hiring is done) is a constant issue. Weíre tracking that information here with those people in-process.
    The best way to get hired is to stick to the system. Go to the Chugach website, Monster.com, or Kwajalein Range Services and apply there. Anyone who wants to show a resume off can send it to me. I will take a look at it to help answer questions. Others (sometimes Chiefs) can evaluate them too. But we cannot foreword anything off and wave a magic wand.
    Unfortunately, we're seeing individuals who sign offer letters and taking HR a couple months to finally get them on-Island. Patience is important. I can understand if youíre starving and Iraq is going to feed you, taking a position there as opposed to here makes sense given the timeframes some are dealing with.
    I will say this. Donít go around posting slander or trash in the forums. Kids can stay home. Check your spelling and please don't ask questions about information already posted in the threads. I see a lot of this, and itís your credibility.
    Last edited by Jetsettingfire1; 10-27-2008 at 11:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Arff

So where is a good place to go for ARFF certification without being affiliated with an airport department? I'm really interested in the job, but I don't have ARFF. Since WSI doesn't offer it any more (thank goodness) it doesn't seem easy to get. I figure either on an R&R or EOC I could get it if I can find a place to go.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by Tikcuf9905; 10-30-2008 at 07:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ARFF School

There are two locations I know that teach ARFF to people outside their state. South Carolina Fire COllege and Alabama Fire College.

The Alabama Fire College has their schedule posted on there site.

Alabamafirecollege.org
    It very inexpensive there. 460.00 for out of State residence, and hotels and meals are very cheap in that area.

South Carolina doesnt post the dates but i just got emailed and will attach it below. South Carolina is double the price , but includes dorm, books and meals, so in the end it works out to be the same price.

I have scheduled Basic ARFF (48 IFSAC) courses listed for Jan. 26-31, 2009, Mar. 2-7, 2009, Apr. 20-25, 2009, May 18-23, 2009, and Jun. 22-27, 2009. maybe one of the others might just fit into your schedule. If they do, please call Tammy Rowe (Resident Scheduler) at (803)896-9895. She will be able to quote you prices for these classes, which will include dorm room, meals (breakfast and lunch), and a store voucher.

So between these two places im sure you can get your ARFF Certs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you THC.

Quote Originally Posted by nobrainbob View Post
    Several positions are open for both EMT and Firefighter. Positions are open at both islands, but mainly on Kwaj. If anyone wants to know, Blain is still on Roi, Opie left a bit ago, Steve Scruton is the Fire Chief. I work on Roi, love it.
    Could you give me the Phone # for the Fire Chief? I would like to talk to him about working there.

Thread Information