+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kwajalein Fire

Forum Member

Thanks, Jet.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsettingfire1 View Post
    Whats your current status?
    Well as of right now I'm just waiting. Talked to the Assistant chief about mid september, was sent an application which I returned promptly.As of lately I haven't heard a word.

I'm sure Kwaj has changed since I was there 5 years ago but I enjoyed it.

Forum Member

Fireant-send me a message. I'll check up on your status. Its no prob.

Forum Member

So the best route to get hired is to contact one of the chiefs on the island?

Forum Member

Wink

Getting in touch with the Fire Chiefs will not get you get hired. When HR finds a prospect its passed on to the AC Chief of Ops. He then does a telephone interview. This interview can be frustrating due to the long distance, echo, static, and sometimes line disconnect. At this point, unless your an absolute tool, you got the job.
    The Chiefs arenít responsible for the screening and hiring process as much as they would be back in the US. (There's a delay in hiring because of this). What we need on Kwaj and what gets done about it stateside (where hiring is done) is a constant issue. Weíre tracking that information here with those people in-process.
    The best way to get hired is to stick to the system. Go to the Chugach website, Monster.com, or Kwajalein Range Services and apply there. Anyone who wants to show a resume off can send it to me. I will take a look at it to help answer questions. Others (sometimes Chiefs) can evaluate them too. But we cannot foreword anything off and wave a magic wand.
    Unfortunately, we're seeing individuals who sign offer letters and taking HR a couple months to finally get them on-Island. Patience is important. I can understand if youíre starving and Iraq is going to feed you, taking a position there as opposed to here makes sense given the timeframes some are dealing with.
    I will say this. Donít go around posting slander or trash in the forums. Kids can stay home. Check your spelling and please don't ask questions about information already posted in the threads. I see a lot of this, and itís your credibility.
    Last edited by Jetsettingfire1; 10-27-2008 at 10:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Arff

So where is a good place to go for ARFF certification without being affiliated with an airport department? I'm really interested in the job, but I don't have ARFF. Since WSI doesn't offer it any more (thank goodness) it doesn't seem easy to get. I figure either on an R&R or EOC I could get it if I can find a place to go.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by Tikcuf9905; 10-30-2008 at 06:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ARFF School

There are two locations I know that teach ARFF to people outside their state. South Carolina Fire COllege and Alabama Fire College.

The Alabama Fire College has their schedule posted on there site.

Alabamafirecollege.org
    It very inexpensive there. 460.00 for out of State residence, and hotels and meals are very cheap in that area.

South Carolina doesnt post the dates but i just got emailed and will attach it below. South Carolina is double the price , but includes dorm, books and meals, so in the end it works out to be the same price.

I have scheduled Basic ARFF (48 IFSAC) courses listed for Jan. 26-31, 2009, Mar. 2-7, 2009, Apr. 20-25, 2009, May 18-23, 2009, and Jun. 22-27, 2009. maybe one of the others might just fit into your schedule. If they do, please call Tammy Rowe (Resident Scheduler) at (803)896-9895. She will be able to quote you prices for these classes, which will include dorm room, meals (breakfast and lunch), and a store voucher.

So between these two places im sure you can get your ARFF Certs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you THC.

Quote Originally Posted by nobrainbob View Post
    Several positions are open for both EMT and Firefighter. Positions are open at both islands, but mainly on Kwaj. If anyone wants to know, Blain is still on Roi, Opie left a bit ago, Steve Scruton is the Fire Chief. I work on Roi, love it.
    Could you give me the Phone # for the Fire Chief? I would like to talk to him about working there.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I'm retiring from a California DOD FD in early 09 with 29.8 years as an Relief Engineer/Firefighter finally (GS6,stp10). Have to wait until my youngest graduates HS in June. Will keep checking back here for openings during 2009. Working now on 7 day shifts on a combined BLS ambulance and Type 1 and Type 2 engines (4 guys-3 rigs) now. Would like to go somewhere and get away from ambulance duty for awhile. Thanks for all the good info here. I'll check around on the other threads. Looking to bring my wife with me if possible, even if I have to pay for housing for us both. Thanks again. Steny

Forum Member

As stated before, contacting the Fire Chief will not get you hired. People do call the firehouse, not knowing the time difference, wanting info on working here. I have been woken up at 3am several times on this subject. Please do not call. When you apply, HR will pass the info down to the Chief in charge of hiring. He will then contact you if he wishes to continue in the process. All firefighter positions here are unaccompanied. You will not be able to bring your wife/hubby with you and pay for housing. If you get hired and are assigned to Roi, it is a lot more remote than Kwaj, and to me, a lot prettier.

12characters
    Last edited by Gredloc; 12-19-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: repeat post

bob, do they only contact by phone? I put in my resume last month, after talking with a guy from Kwaj in my online fire science course. I'm currently still deployed. This was something I was hoping to set up before I got back, but the only reasonable contact I have is through my email.

Forum Member

Gredloc, since you out in your resume to be contacted by email first, I think HR would do that if you are selected. The AC in charge of hiring usually does his interviews by phone, but he will set up a time to do that.

Thumbs up

Bob, thanks, and have a Merry Christmas.

Forum Member

Default Roi-Namur

Roi is in need of an EMT. All those who wish to apply, or have applied, the open position is on Roi.

Forum Member

Hello folks, I would be intrested in a postion there. I have everything but the arff. Are you guys still looking. I read that you might need and emt in charge of pt care. I have ten years as an emt and infact emt I. This I could handle. I would take the arff class as soon as I could if I had a reasonable chance at the a job.

So what is you advice to get hired and who do I make contact with?

Thank you
    Clint

Clint Henning
    Ditch Diggers LLC
    563-320-5908
    Lowden Fire and Rescue

Forum Member

Default Resume

Hello Bob. Can you tell me where to submitt my resume for this position? I will attach a copy to this message just in case you are the person. Thanks,

Terence
    Quote Originally Posted by nobrainbob View Post
    Gredloc, since you out in your resume to be contacted by email first, I think HR would do that if you are selected. The AC in charge of hiring usually does his interviews by phone, but he will set up a time to do that.
    Last edited by trmcc27; 01-05-2009 at 07:05 PM.

Forum Member

trmcc27....you can apply at www.krsjv.com and look in the job opportunities.

Thread Information