Thread: Kwajalein Fire

Forum Member

Smile Kwajalein Fire

The Department is 5 Firefighters short. A LT. and another firefighter just put in their notice and wont renew contract. Best of luck.

http://www.krsjv.com/

Forum Member

good luck in getting anyone to fill the positions. part of probably is the 2 year commitment and the company pays you low, low, low wages. i'm only guessing that it's still between $9 and $10 a hour? loved the scuba diving and wind surfing though.

Forum Member

Default Basic Firefighters never make much.

The $9-10 an hour statement goes to those who are basic payed firefighters. If you want any kind of income in this profession go for more certs and be an EMT, or officer. EMT-B with OT was huge and your making about 60-70K tax free.
    Island life is dwindling, many people are leaving from lack of funding by the govt because of the war. Tolerating contract life is a challenge. Especially these days. Go to Chugach website for more job listings too, if interested. They've been looking for a Captain out there to work B-Shift as well.

oh, also. Your being payed to do pretty much nothing but train, do rig checks and run calls that 90% of the time seem to be alarm activations caused from heavy rain messing up grounding wires.
    Last edited by Jetsettingfire1; 06-23-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Forum Member

Yep I got a call by the AC there a week ago. Ill be turning in my application here soon.

Forum Member

jet
    i was there from 04 to 05 up on roi and that's all we did after it rained was to run transmitted alarms. loved it when the rocket guys came out to visit, i didn't know anything could be so damn loud. if it wasn't for the pay and the two year commitment i'd go back in a heart beat, to roi of course kwaj had to many little chiefs and not enough indians.

Forum Member

I read on they're website that the applicant must conform to GS-0081 requirements...being the 37 age cut off, is this still the reg or is it flexible based on mission needs? Just curious, could possibly use a vacation...18+ calls ems days getting old! LOL, Thanks

Forum Member

Default Krs

Its the good life. Especially now, at home I pay 80 bucks to fill up my car. On Island, I never had to pay to fill up my bike.
    I was there from early 06-late 07. I heard the positions are filling up fast. The minimum age reguirement says 35 or 37. But its fine to apply if your older as long as you pass your physical.

Forum Member

I read 37 is the cut off as well. I'm 44 but no prob with the physical. Is it worthwile to apply or a waste of time??

Cogs

Forum Member

Smile

Its fun out there, but you can fall into that mentality of thinking you have it rough living so far away, and no calls to run. I'd have to say the time is worth what you put into it.
    You can fish, snorkel, dive, powerboat, ski, travel to other places. Golfing is a big deal there, and so is big game fishing. Just have to work at having fun. I learned how to make my own beer while living out there. I still do it. Some people even make thier own wine. Just buy the equipment online and make it at home. Its great for beach parties.

Forum Member

I've got to get myself the AS in Fire Science to substitute for my lack of paid experience.

How much EMT work do they do there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abbruzzese651 View Post
    I've got to get myself the AS in Fire Science to substitute for my lack of paid experience.

How much EMT work do they do there?
    you mean besides helping to pull fish hooks out of peoples hands and delviering two babies. what emt work?????

Forum Member

You've delivered two babies? At once, or just in a matter of years? Fish hooks belong stuck in the dumb asses who get them stuck there in the first place. And the women who are pregnant deliver the babies. No one else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsettingfire1 View Post
    You've delivered two babies? At once, or just in a matter of years? Fish hooks belong stuck in the dumb asses who get them stuck there in the first place. And the women who are pregnant deliver the babies. No one else.
    i the year i was up at roi i helped deliver two of them and no not at once.

Forum Member

The 4 1/2 years I was up on Roi I delivered 4 of 'em, and one of those was on the Dash Flight down to Kwaj! Gotta luv those third island girls!
    Last edited by devildog4; 07-21-2008 at 03:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any Kwaj changes?

Does Kwajalein still have the same crappy equipment as when I was there in 1975-77? Two old Navy MB-1 crash trucks that on a good day with the wind could throw foam 65 ft from the turret, an old Army 530-C structural/crash truck, a protein foam tanker for foaming the runway for belly landings....lol, and a AFFF PKP quick attack truck that we were required to open the top of the PKP cylinder weekly to "fluff" the PKP with a broom handle.....hmmm....wonder what the weekly exposure to salt air did for it's anti-caking properties.

Plus black canvas gear on the structural side that was so stiff from salt spray that it would stand up on its own, no gloves, baseball caps instead of helmets because the helmets were so deteriorated they were unusable and silvers that were missing big patches of silver due to age. It was ok though because our drug dealer Captain used Krylon silver spray paint to cover all the bare places in the gear.....WTF!!!!

An interesting place to work indeed. Except for idiot officers, I had a great time there.

Mike Dunn

MembersZone Subscriber

i put in my app like a week ago, just waiting to hear back. Does anyone know if there is positions over there that let you bring your family?

Forum Member

Default App in for kwaj

Same here Lasko. Anyone have an Idea of how the kwaj hiring process goes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lasko189 View Post
    i put in my app like a week ago, just waiting to hear back. Does anyone know if there is positions over there that let you bring your family?
    Ive been processing with them since June just waiting on the final review decision. I guess thier waiting on my background check to clear.
    Yes there are accompanied positions there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lou4612 View Post
    Ive been processing with them since June just waiting on the final review decision. I guess thier waiting on my background check to clear.
    Yes there are accompanied positions there.
    no accompanied positions as firefighter, lt's or capt's. if my memory serves me right you have to be the asst chief or chief in order to have an accompianed status.

MembersZone Subscriber

With Kwaj how often do you get to go home?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lasko189 View Post
    With Kwaj how often do you get to go home?
    i think it's every four months like the other contracts but then it might be at your 6 months and year marks. with the now two year requirement things got screwed up.

Forum Member

My background was cleared so Ill be shipping out to the island on the 21st!

Forum Member

Default Updates on KRS

The hiring Chiefs been off-Island, so there's a back up in processing if your not in contact with HR at the moment, just be patient.
    Some good news. Kwaj is going to the 1 year contract instead of the 2 year. The ratio of people staying for 2 years, with contract complete vs those abandoning the 2 years has been pretty high. So the policy has changed.
    Vacations are done based on seniority. So, be prepared to shop for your vacations early in the year. You can ask for time off, but you wont get payed unless you fall within the 7 months of employment bracket and have accrued your Paid Time Off (PTO).
    Newer gear comes out to the Island quite often. Right now there's new ambulances, 4 Titan ARFF trucks that circulate out of service, but are newer (within 5 years) the salty air is terrible on the equipment. And 2 newish E-1 Engines. The fire chief on Island rocks. Retired DOD Chief from Central California. And finally seems to be staffed with good officers.
    Now I hear a Subway landed on the Island along with an Anthony's Pizza. AAFES is coming soon, no more Macy's West or Cafe Pacific. With AAFES, you can order online or do Catalog shopping with free shipping APO! Sweet.
    I'm hearing this through the grapevine. My hiring packet went through. Ive decided to go back.

To all you old timers, the Yuk Club shutdown due to the building deteriorating. Now its the snake pit, the golf course, or vets hall for drinks. Actually the Yacht club too. Which is newer (by Eco Pier). The Mobile homes on Island are being removed. Asbestos tile and other items have been found and are not safe to repair. So, all unaccompanied positions get the BQ's.

Now, I don't know if anyone knew Aarlos Nelson, but he left Kwaj after being employed there since the early 70's. He resides as an old Dakine in Hawaii. His stories revealed the drugs and gambling issues in the Dept from the past, and were always interesting and hard to believe. What a character.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Jetsettingfire1; 08-08-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsettingfire1 View Post
    The hiring Chiefs been off-Island, so there's a back up in processing if your not in contact with HR at the moment, just be patient.
    Some good news. Kwaj is going to the 1 year contract instead of the 2 year. The ratio of people staying for 2 years, with contract complete vs those abandoning the 2 years has been pretty high. So the policy has changed.
    Vacations are done based on seniority. So, be prepared to shop for your vacations early in the year. You can ask for time off, but you wont get payed unless you fall within the 7 months of employment bracket and have accrued your Paid Time Off (PTO).
    Newer gear comes out to the Island quite often. Right now there's new ambulances, 4 Titan ARFF trucks that circulate out of service, but are newer (within 5 years) the salty air is terrible on the equipment. And 2 newish E-1 Engines. The fire chief on Island rocks. Retired DOD Chief from Central California. And finally seems to be staffed with good officers.
    Now I hear a Subway landed on the Island along with an Anthony's Pizza. AAFES is coming soon, no more Macy's West or Cafe Pacific. With AAFES, you can order online or do Catalog shopping with free shipping APO! Sweet.
    I'm hearing this through the grapevine. My hiring packet went through. Ive decided to go back.

To all you old timers, the Yuk Club shutdown due to the building deteriorating. Now its the snake pit, the golf course, or vets hall for drinks. Actually the Yacht club too. Which is newer (by Eco Pier). The Mobile homes on Island are being removed. Asbestos tile and other items have been found and are not safe to repair. So, all unaccompanied positions get the BQ's.

Now, I don't know if anyone knew Aarlos Nelson, but he left Kwaj after being employed there since the early 70's. He resides as an old Dakine in Hawaii. His stories revealed the drugs and gambling issues in the Dept from the past, and were always interesting and hard to believe. What a character.
    Cheers!
    are opie and vern still on kwaj? is blaine still on roi?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Kwajalein needs good people to fill Shortages.

Opie left Kwaj and is a chief in Nevada, He left a year and a half ago. Vern left a month or so ago. Not sure who the chief is on Roi, but I can tell you its the same guy who's been there for 15 years. (Never met the him).

Interesting news:
    Was told today that there is a need for more FF's on Island from the current Fire Chief. I was asked to promote the positions to help fill staffing. The contracts have changed. EMT's with FFII, HAZ tech, and ARFF will get a bigger contract dollar ammount, 12.50 or so. When your application is reviewed by the department, they will work with HR to get you the highest salary for your certs, including officers training etc. Without the listed certs the base firefighter pay with ARFF is 10.50, but increases 3 or 4 times a year, excluding merit raises w/ full medical, dental and 401K. Even more enticing, the new contracts are for 1 year. The 2 year contracts have been done away with (unless your set on being there for 24 mo).

You will be assigned on A or B shift. Each shift works a 48 on, 48 off totaling a 72 hour work week. With definite overtime. Firefighters sleep at the station during your 48 hr shift. Your off duty life, the company provides you with room and board. Meals are also provided, but are served at a dining facility. (its not awesome food at all). Subway, and an Anthony's pizza just put in recently. More upgrades on Island are coming soon. AAFEES is one of the bigger mods. Which is great, AAFEES will ship out to the Island free. There is a few stores to buy groceries at as well. So you can still get steak, fresh fruit, alcohol, veggies etc.
    My experience; its slow island life, work involves training and a lot of alarm activations. We have 911 dispatching done in the station by the firefighters. At times work is busy and cabin fever can distract you from how nice this place is. If your active, like swimming, diving, site seeing, surfing, boating, big game fishing, tennis, racquet ball, then great its here. The leisurely activities are why most people go. I surf and the breaks out there are great. So, I'm going back. Not a career department, but a good way to save money, with potential to gross 75k a year tax free.

2 weeks paid vacation a year. The company pays for your travel on and off island.

The department is short staffed so the crews are making lots of money on Over Time. Some people have called the station wanting to know what the job and the island is like. Some of the firefighters will tell you whatever they have to to prevent you from applying just so they can keep the OT. Its not a hell hole, but its a far cry from perfect. There are some sacrifices to contract firefighting. If you want a whole slew of calls throughout the day/night probably not the best place. But as far as R&R goes, its a good lifestyle for the pay. People aren't shooting at you just for being there.

So, 10 spots need to be filled. Send a reply to me if your interested in the position. I will respond. I'm expected to be on Island in a few days, they are fast-tracking people to fill the shortages.

Basic hiring requirements:
    IFSAC or DOD fire certs. (IFSAC will be granted reciprocity).
    ARFF
    Last edited by Jetsettingfire1; 09-05-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added basic hiring requirements.

Thread Information