Thread: Medics

Default Medics

Been reading on this forum for a while and had a quick question for you guys....I've only been REALLY trying to get on a fire department around my area for only 6 months or so, finished my emt-b and took just my second test last week.
    My question is, do medics really have that shoe-in spot like most people (around here anyways) say they do?....my reasoning is, most people it seems like it takes at least a 1 year or 2, all the way up to 5 years to get on a paid, full-time fire department...I figure, it's REALLY what i want to do, so i can study my butt off for two years, and make myself a commodity, rather than just another candidate taking a test.
    Sorry for such a long 1st post....just had a lot of info to ask i guess!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Not quite sure what your asking here. Slow down a little, but if what your asking is if being a medic is a "shoe-in"? Then the answer is yes, but be careful.

Make sure your dedicated to being a medic, and all it entails, and not some guy who went to medic school and hacked his way through it just to become a firefighter. Remember once you get that EMTP behind your name YOU WILL spend a majority of your time on a box, not a truck or engine. You will most certainly have to have that special passion for helping people and wanting to take care of people. In other words, you'd better be sure thats what you want to do, and more importantly know what your getting into.

As far as time to get hired. It all depends on where you live, who's testing, how many are hiring, education, experience, and background (criminal and social). Keep your nose clean, be sincere, be honest and good things will come your way, just be patient. Remember, this is the greatest job around and its no secret anymore!
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medic????????

Hey darlin, you sound confused. I have been doing this for a very long time and as the other person posting said, yes, you do need to love this field. Some depts you may be on a engine or truck, our medics are, but I am contract, not on the actual dept. So, yes they do have medics on the trucks, I will tell you this about that though. The skills lack, alot need to work on their skills and remember why they went into medic school in the first place. Even their bed side manner can suck. Make sure you are okay with saving a life and giving meds. Make sure you are okay with death and children and a lot of other issues that come along with it. Noone will ever be able to handle a child dying or close to dying, that is the hard part. You are going to be getting a license that means you are the last person that the patient might see before they meet their maker. You can make the decision if they die or not. Are you ready for that?

Forum Member

Which department is DCFD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanTX View Post
    Which department is DCFD?
    That would be Washington DC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    That would be Washington DC.
    Yeah, it was for schang7.

i'm sorry if i came across rushed or confused....i wanted to say a lot w/o taking up too much space, i really have thought about going into the medic program for a year now and just wanted a little bit more info....i have talked w/ probably over 20 medics and have gone over EVERYTHING i will need to do to get through the program......
    my only worry really is trying to work full time while doing it! although i have talked to several medics that have done it!

Thread Information