Forum Member

Default Interview Prep Advice

So...I finally got an interview with my local FD!

I've interviewed 3 times before, had two job offers (that I was forced to turn down because of family issues...long story, don't ask).

I was told that I set the standard for my first interview; I felt great about my second interview; and the third interview I was told I scored around an 85 out of 100.

Despite the sucess in the past, the FD I'm interviewing for now is MUCH more competetive than the first 2 that I received offers from. I feel that I need to do more prep. So.........

Does anyone recommend any books or websites that would be beneficial in preparing for this department's interview??

Thanks in advance!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fullback36 View Post
    So...I finally got an interview with my local FD!

I've interviewed 3 times before, had two job offers (that I was forced to turn down because of family issues...long story, don't ask).

I was told that I set the standard for my first interview; I felt great about my second interview; and the third interview I was told I scored around an 85 out of 100.

Despite the sucess in the past, the FD I'm interviewing for now is MUCH more competetive than the first 2 that I received offers from. I feel that I need to do more prep. So.........

Does anyone recommend any books or websites that would be beneficial in preparing for this department's interview??

Thanks in advance!!

Although I cannot recall any books or websites at the moment....Here is my two cents worth:

1. Show up prepared. By prepared, I mean look at what you plan to wear. What do you plan to say in response to certain questions. What questions do have and wish to ask? Be ready for the "good cop/bad cop" game. Every interview panel I have ever been a part of has this going on. Be prepared to answer tough questions from the individual who plays "bad cop".

2. Attitude. An interview is the opportunity for both the department and yourself to learn about one another. Be positive and smile. Be yourself!

3. Stand in front of a mirror and perform a size up of yourself. Dress, grooming and self-confidence will go a long way.

4. Every interview panel has a slight twist to it. Again, be prepared. Ask your friends to "interview" you. Call up local businesses or other fire departments and set up a mock interview.

Good Luck and hope that this will help in some way!

MembersZone Subscriber

You have just opened a gigantic can of worms my friend. You are about to get flooded with all kinds of advice (good and bad), websites to check out, books to buy etc. I am not an expert by any means, but the best advice I could give is just to be yourself during the interview. Relax, be honest and excited about your answers, and have a good time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TurkishFF View Post
    best advice I could give is just to be yourself during the interview. Relax, be honest and excited about your answers, and have a good time.
    I think you hit the nail on the head right there.

Forum Member

get ready for the spam..
    oops, I mean valuable contributors that happen to have links to the products they are pimping conveniently plastered all over their posts.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will jump in here. I wouldn't change a thing. You have already proven that you know how to perform during an interview. I would encourage you to do exactly what you have done in the past.

Many people who finally land a job get multiple job offers. They have become the candidate we are all looking for. You have proven that you are a sought after candidate. Do what you do best and go into that interview armed with the knowledge that you already have been offered two jobs.

Lastly, make sure you can explain why you want to work for THEIR fire department. Be passionate and enthusiastic.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Even though this is for all of the marbles, don't panic now!

Many candidates start to panic when they start taking more tests at larger departments or out of their area. They think they have to reinvent themselves. Reinvent the wheel. WHOOAA! Understand what got you there. You have already received job offers because of the great stuff you already used in the oral interviews. You're riding the winning pony. Don't switch ponies.

Too many candidates switch ponies because they start creating sea monsters or "they said". I've never been able to find out who "they" are. If you do not continue to use the good stuff that got you this far, you could drop out of the race.

This is a new arena. Candidates who are stepping out to new opportunities, start talking to their friends. They convince that they need to do something more. By the time of the interview, they're a wreck. It's not them going into the interview. A clone of someone else. The badges are often given to other candidates.

To make sure you wonít be stumped by questions you havenít heard before, you need a hand held recorder that goes everywhere your car keys go to practice your answers. You can find some suggested questions in this previous posting:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101814
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information