Forum Member

Default OCFA, CA written

Anybody get there written info? Mine is at 8:15 in the Engineering area, room 100. My last name starts with G and my friends starts with S. His test is at 12:45, I believe in the same room.

Late,

K

MembersZone Subscriber

Mine is at 12:45, but my last name start with C. I'm leaving Thursday from Milwaukee.

Thankfully I have a friend that that has off. Otherwise I'd have to get from LAX to Irvine somehow. I think I could have made it pretty close taking trains, but it would have been pretty long and hard.

Do you have any idea on how many applied?

Good luck!

Forum Member

The room the test is in has 299 seats. I believe the 28th is the only testing date, so it looks like 3 or 4 groups. I would say somewhere between 900 and 1200 are taking it. OCFA only opened it for 2 days so they would get less people.

You should have flown into John Wayne. Heck, you could almost walk from there.

I hope you smoke it on Sat and stay safe,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. Mine says Physical Science Hall though, not Engineering. Is this the same area? Because I have the same room number.

I wanted to fly into John Wayne, but it would cost me hundreds more. I just picked up a job with Midwest Airlines so that I could open myself up to tests across the country. Midwest only goes to LAX. I eventually will get other benefits with most other airlines, but not for about 2 more months. I'm also staying in LA and bringing a friend with. I figure I might as well take a few days off and make a small vacation out of it.

arff... Do you work for OCFA?

Forum Member

Not sure if the 2 classrooms are the same. If you have room 100, I believe it is. Is yours on the main campus?

I used to work as a Paid Call Firefighter with OCFA from 95 to 05.

Oh yaah, don't forget to bring a copy of your email notification. It is needed to get into the test. I almost forgot about it.

Kev

Kev,

On my email confirmation they broke down the OCFA written test by section: 1) understanding written information [30 items], 2) mathematical ability [30 items], 3) maps, diagrams, and mechanical drawings [25 items], and 4) teamwork, public relations, and community living [15] items.

Is it worth studying for memory and some of the other sections of study books that they say COULD be incorporated?

Thanks,
    B

Forum Member

To break it down, the math is basic. Just know decimals, long division, fractions, percentages, etc. I also remember stuff like 1 tank holds 5000 gals of water. If the tank already has 1/5 of a full tank + 2500 gals, how many more to make a full tank. Team work stuff was a passage with 5 choices, and you have to pick the best and the worse one. The objects that are flattened out and then you have to fold them in your head and imagine what kind of shape it will make. I do not remember anything to do with gears, levers, pulleys.

This info is from the last test, so it is entirely possible that it has totally changed.

What is your testing location and time? Mine is Engineering Hall in room 100, at 8:15 on Sat..

Kev

Thanks for the info! I'm in the Schneiderman Lecture Hall, Classroom
    100A, Main Campus at 8:15am. I got all the basic FF trainee books, but are there any specific "Free Online Written Exams" that are CPS tests?

Good Luck,
    Brandon

Forum Member

I am scheduled to take the test at 12:45 at the Biological Sciences 3 Lecture Hall. But I am scheduled to work that Saturday and I was told I could not reschedule. Guess I'm SOL.

Forum Member

I spoke to an OCFA firefighter and here is what he told me. Number of applicants were around 2000, they will be converting 3 man engines into 4 man (20 slots approved), and with new stations and retirements there could be about 60 total slots. From what I understand station 20 is being rebuilt and will soon have a truck company. Obviously the top 250 go to the interviews. Please do not forget to bring your email letters to the test.

Hopefully I got most of this right,

Kev

Forum Member

Emmex510,

Take a sick day!!!

Forum Member

How did everyone do on the written? Obviously it was a CPS test and I believe mine was one I had taken before. I felt very good, but there were a few that I made guesses on.

Stay safe,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought I did okay. A few of those situational critical thinking questions at the end surprisingly got me thinking. I thought that they would be the easiest, but a few of those were kind of tough. Especially when you can't understand how it's being said. The reading seemed really easy and there was maybe one math question that I had trouble with. I think I did okay on the mechanical part, but wouldn't be surprised if I made a few mistakes. Overall though I don't think I did too bad.

I actually thought I wasn't even going to make it on time. I flew in from Milwaukee and I'm staying in LA so I don't know my way around Orange County well. The girl that drove me really only knows LA. We got lost in Newport Beach for awhile. Good luck to everyone else though!

Forum Member

I agree, on the judgement and reasoning I found that there were 2 answers that seemed to work and 2 you could just toss. Hopefully I selected properly. I can say that with only 1 exception, I always chose to let the firefighter handle the situation him or herself instead of taking it to the supervisor. However, if it involved a firefighter and drinking on shift, then I chose to tell the Captain. I felt like the firefighter is a danger to himself and others and needs to be pulled from the floor.

They say 45 days to post thr results. I am thinking sooner.

Kev

Forum Member

Last year it only took a little less than two weeks for the results to be emailed back, and I think they were posted on the government jobs site earlier than that.

I ended up having to guess on the last 15 or so... pretty disappointed about that. I'm in Band A for the last test but that expires soon and probably won't even get an interview this time.

The good thing about being part of Cycle 1 is that we can test again with Cycle 4 next year if we don't get onto the eligibility list.

MembersZone Subscriber

arff... does OCFA allow ride-alongs? Someone told me that they ask a lot of questions regarding what you know about the dept itself at the interview. So if I make it through this and get an interview, I'd definitely need to do a station visit or ride-along. Being from the other side of the country, I don't know much at all about OCFA or Orange County except for what I researched online. Thanks.

Forum Member

My buddy is a paramedic at FS 26 in Irvine. Maybe you can ride with him. It used to be real easy to ride along because the engines staffed with 3 could always use a 4th. Now they are all 4 man, so it is hard to find room.

I will get back to you,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks man. That would be awesome. Otherwise, I'll just call a few stations after we hear back about the written test.

Clark and Kev,

Keep me posted if either of you hear about your test scores. Waiting sucks! I know they said that our online application status would change to "Oral Exam Referred" if we passed so I'm assuming that'll updated before they get a chance to get our results to us in the mail. Good Luck again!

-B

Default Ocfa

Hello im taking my test on

Date: 10/25/2008
    Time: 12:45 PM
    Place: University of California, Irvine, Physical Sciences Lecture Hall, Classroom 100, Main Campus, Irvine, CA
    (You must report to your classroom at least 45 minutes prior to your assigned exam time.)

is there anything i could do for the math part to pastor does anyone know what kind of math they well be doing thank you for your help

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OCFA written test from October

Hear anything yet?

Thread Information