MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rookie Drivers Training (Ohio)

OK, here’s my issue and wondering if anyone has any insight or heard of anything similar in other States.
    The State of Ohio has instituted a new requirement for fire training programs which requires drivers training in recruit schools. Sample wording follows:

Firefighter I curriculum.
    -A training program for firefighter I certification shall consist of not less than one hundred twenty hours and meet all objectives in the NFPA standard 1001, firefighter I. In addition, students must also successfully complete a sixteen hour emergency vehicle operation course that meets the requirements of NFPA standards 1451 and 1002;…

My question is, how can I teach those two standards in 16 hours? Really, even begin to cover it in 16 hours? Other factors to consider would be that now I have brand new people driving apparatus, both my paying and volley Departments use the driver/operator position as a promotional step and require time on the job before they even begin to start the process. Oh yes, and its not just driving, those standards include pumping too.

I looked into and even took the VFIS Emergency Vehicle Drivers Training instructors class and its really just manuverabilty and doesn't come close to meeting the standard.

Who does any drivers training in rookie school? What does it entail?
    Any ideas or help (or encouragement) would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Forum Member

It was a few years ago but all we had to do was complete a 16 hour E.V.O.C. course taught in my 240
    Captain

IACOJ Probie

MembersZone Subscriber

I see where you are coming from, but on the other hand it will show these younger people and adrenaline rushed people (hopefully) what it takes to drive a pice of fire apparatus. It should get them thinking that you don't just jump in these things and drive like a bad out of hell. I see some people driving and it makes me wonder why is this person driving a firetruck when they can't even drive their own car??? And a few years ago a fire dept that is a ways from us which I know some people from there they have a tractor trailor tanker. The tractor part was a standard which not to many people could drive. Well they updated the complete unit and got a tractor that was automatic. This one person say I can drive this truck now that it has an automatic in it now! I thought to myself good grief you have to be kidding me...

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, I'm all for drivers training. Slow down and wear your seatbelts.

This new rule, effective last January 24th, mandates that training meets NFPA 1002 and 1451. That means not only safe driving and manuverability, but also pumping supply lines, attack lines and master streams. Way to far to go with new guys.

Oh yes, there is also the increase in instructor hourly opay and increase fuel costs. Not to mention the increased liability insurance.

We'll keep trying to figure it out.
    Scott

Early Adopter

Our state driver/operator course is 80 hours long. The state academy now includes a large chunk of it in with rookie school. Each department then has the option to keep their firefighters at the academy an additional week after rookie school ends to complete the entire course and get their IFSAC seal.

Personally, I could see our course being taught in 40 hours if necessary... but I can't imagine trying to hit all of the material -- especially if you're including hydraulics -- in just 16.

MembersZone Subscriber

...and it has to be completed prior to taking their level 1 or 2 certification tests.

Thread Information