Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ff-1?

Forum Member

Default Ff-1?

Hey I just joined a volunteer Dept. about 10 mins from where I live in a nearby county. They gave me a schedule for a ff-1 class Im required to take. For those out there who have their FF-1 certs, how was it? Was it hard? What did they teach? Is there anything to expect?. Thanks

Forum Member

Expect to work. Expect to have to study. Expect the class to hopefully give you a good foundation, with which you can build on with other training, and experiences to hopefully make you a better firefighter.

FF-1 is basic firefighting. It'll teach you the bare essentials of what it takes to start to learn to do the job. You'll learn to bang ladders, stretch a line, hook up to hydrants, use standpipes, tie knots, fill SCBA bottles, etc. Basically, it's the basic skills you need to be able to learn to function on an emergency scene.

Don't by all means though, think this is the be all and end all of learning. It's gonna be a career long process to become a great firefighter. There is always something to learn. Good Luck!

i just started that class and so far the class has given me the basics of what i need to study in that chapter but they don't go over the chapter or section word for word...... i have to go back and read and go over what we did the day before to kind of explain it better.

If you have been an explorer for a while and have gone over the stuff (we go through the Ohio Firefighter I-A class through explorers) and have some amount of limited real world experience, I have been told that it will be a cakewalk.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

You will pass everything in FF1 if you do/have a few things:
    Heart
    Determination
    Respect
    READ and STUDY

I took my FF1 course while finishing up my senior year of high school while running varsity track.

Went to school, track practice/meets, and straight to FF1 (rookie school as we call it). Then came home and did my FF1 and HS studying/homework. It was tiring, but sometimes you just got to suck it up and do it (with help from a lot of Mt. Dew lol).
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Quote Originally Posted by JR3115 View Post
    You will pass everything in FF1 if you do/have a few things:
    Heart
    Determination
    Respect
    READ and STUDY

I took my FF1 course while finishing up my senior year of high school while running varsity track.

Went to school, track practice/meets, and straight to FF1 (rookie school as we call it). Then came home and did my FF1 and HS studying/homework. It was tiring, but sometimes you just got to suck it up and do it (with help from a lot of Mt. Dew lol).
    I haven't done the class yet, but my cousin did that as well. Same as you, as well as doing her EMS-B training. Granted she wasn't doing sports, but she still had a full plate.

I'll probably end up doing the same thing. You have to be determined in order to do that much at once, but if you do... You'll definitely feel better about yourself..

Not to mention, you can then use that against your kids when they try to complain about their school-work load

Forum Member

FACT - The Ohio FF-IA is a cakewalk.
    I passed it my first semester of my junior year of high school (this past year) with an 85 on the State test. Now, I just have to wait until I'm 18 and the State will said my my card.

But what will have made my class better was a better instructor who actually had us in class for the full 36 hours - class was supposed to be 8am-12:15pm on Saturdays (I know, I was crazy). The days that we didn't do hands-on, we we're out by 10am - We went and did hands-on stuff 3 times - I think we had like 13 classes. For the class room stuff, alls the instructor did was zip-through 2 chapters per day, excluding the days we went hands-on. For the hands-on stuff, we did searches, ladders, and stand-pipe operations.

EDIT - Last post for a long while. I'm gone.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 06-29-2008 at 08:38 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thread Information