Thread: Who's Hiring?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Who's Hiring?

Been awhile since anybody has posted so I thought I'd get what info I know out there. Hopefully people will add to this. This forum is supposed to help out MN brothers out there trying to get jobs. My info is mostly heresay, so if somebody has more solid info, please feel free to correct.

-Minneapolis and St. Paul are both not hiring anytime soon. I spoke with Mpls HR the other day and it sounds like it'll be at least 2009 before they test again. I think St. Paul is in the same boat.

-St. Cloud just tested (January) and I know they are hiring up to 15 guys in the next two years which is crazy. Would have been nice to get on that list.

-Rochester just tested last fall. Don't know how many they are hiring, but I heard from their HR that they are going to switch to a "spring time" testing/hiring period. Late spring 2009 is when they plan on testing again.

-Duluth just tested last fall. Not sure when they will again, Gozly will probably have a better idea.

-Mankato has been accepting applications over the last month. The closeout was 23 June. I know they are hiring 1 right away with a possibility of 2 over the next two years.

-Fargo just tested and they are hiring 6 this fall and 6 next summer. It will be at least 2010 before they test again.

-I know Burnsville hires 1-2 every year. Have to have Paramedic to get on with them.

I don't know about the following agencies:

-MAC (ARFF guys at Mpls/St. Paul International Airport)-Would be a sweet gig.

-South Metro Fire

-Moorhead

-I know there are other depts out there I am forgetting, like I said, feel free to add/correct as you see fit.

Minnesota is a unique state (in my opinion anyway) because so many of the suburb cities have POC or Volly depts. Not a bad thing, just unique. The city I am currently in which is half the size of most of the TC suburbs is a full-time dept.

Anyway, this is just a thread to get guys talking about various departments and what is out there for us. Good luck to all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think Rchfield is testing right now.

Check out the League of MN cities website (http://www.lmnc.org/page/1/city-jobs.jsp) Pretty much all of the cities in the state post their job opening there.

As far as Duluth goes, I know the last list we made was only a one year list so I assume they will be testing in 2009 or so that is only speculation though.

Forum Member

Question Roseville, MN

Anyone have any information on when Roseville, MN will be hiring next?

Anyone heard any news about a new fire chief in Brooklyn Park, MN ?

Thx

MembersZone Subscriber

I think Roseville is constantly hiring for POCs. They are right now.

Richfield is taking apps and testing very soon, I applied with them.

Mankato is testing next week.

Golzy, how are things up in Duluth bud? Tell your dept to get on the ball and test again soon!

Small world, another "turkish" out there. Are you of Turkish descent?

MembersZone Subscriber

uhh, stuff in Duluth isn't going so well. We are going to be making some cuts, the Mayor wants to take and engine company out of service and close a station. Right now the FD is trying to work with the city administration to find different options to reduce our spending. I don't think we will be looking at layoffs but cutting a station and another engine on top of that would have a huge impact on our response capabilities and response times

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I am from Turkey. Dad was in the AF and mom is from there. You?

That sucks about Duluth. I didn't get a chance to apply this last time around and now it sounds like it will be awhile before they hire again...especially with these cuts. From what I know, Duluth is pretty thin and spread out anyway.

Forum Member

Default Richfield written test

Any idea what the Richfield written test consists of? Fireteam? A couple hundred Fire II / Hazmat Ops questions? Other?

Thanks and good luck if you are testing there.

Forum Member

Post Duluth

WTF is the mayor thinking?? Doesn't DFD already run only 3 to an apparatus already?? I lived in 8's territory as a teenager and visited the "old 8" across from memorial park and couldn't belive there were only 6 firemen in the station. I really feel fo ryou guys up there Golzy!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trizahler26 View Post
    Anyone have any information on when Roseville, MN will be hiring next?

Anyone heard any news about a new fire chief in Brooklyn Park, MN ?

Thx
    Brooklyn park's new fire chief has been picked. Hopefully he can fix the issues

MembersZone Subscriber

any updates on openings?
    Last edited by billditter2; 08-04-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: delete

MembersZone Subscriber

Duluth and South Metro fire are testing

Forum Member

Default South Metro

We are hiring at least one maybe two Firefighters off of this test right away. More info can be found here.

http://www.southmetrofire.com/employment.php

Forum Member

Default South Metro

Not sure if my previous post went through but we are hiring at least one possibly two from this test. You can find more details and get an application @

http://www.southmetrofire.com/employment.php

Forum Member

Hey JB,

I am planning on coming down for the South Metro test. What is the written like? Is it a test that SMFD put together or did they get it from a company (FSI, CWH, etc....)
    Any other tips??

Thanks,
    Tony

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info JB. I was wondering when you guys were going to test again. The website appears down right now. Anything you can tell us about the testing/hiring process? What SMFD is like (apparatus, call volume, work environment, etc)?

Applied for Duluth yesterday, the only thing I don't like about that though is forking out $125 to LSC to do the CPAT. Oh well, I want it bad enough. What is $125 for the greatest gig in the world?

This is just pure speculation, but I am guessing that over the next 3-5 years we are going to see a higher than normal hiring numbers. With the baby-boomers hitting retirement age, I think a lot of cities are going to have a lot of positions to fill. Especially Mpls and St. Paul. That is good for us guys trying to get the job. Again, just speculation though.

Turkish FF how did you end up at Richfield? I placed 14, but they only were taking 1 or 2 off this list I think.
    Last edited by b52turkish; 11-13-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Forum Member

Default South Metro

We run about 4800 calls a year, responding to Fire, EMS and Haz-Mat. We transport BLS and HealthEast transports our ALS. We work rotating 24 hour shifts out of 2 stations, One in West St.Paul and One in South St.Paul. Minimum staffing is 8 maximum staffing is 11. Our work schedule goes like this O= on duty X= off duty OXXOXOXXXOXOXOXOXXXXX Repeat. The cycle always starts on a tues and always ends on a weds. Each station has a Lieutenant and station 2 has a Captain that is in charge of the shift. We have dedicated drivers and backup drivers for the Engines and the Ambulance crews trade off with each other for driving duties. Each station responds w/ an Engine and the Ambulance crew cross staff's the Ladders. It's in the Budget to replace station 2's ladder with a Rescue type pumper in the near future. As far as the test goes the test comes from a company and from what I remember is similar to St.Clouds. I think the written test is planned for early December. Other than that it is pretty typical career Firefighting stuff as far as the duties are concerned. All in all it's a good place to work. When the website gets back up there are pictures of our trucks and more info about our department on there.

Forum Member

Default South Metro alternate website

They have set a temporary link to South Metro's website all the information that you should need can now be found @

www.mntf1.org/smfd

Forum Member

Default Virginia, MN eligibility list

Virginia, MN. is starting an eligibility list for Firefighter/Paramedic. The Phys. Ag. test is sometime in February. Go to the City's website www.virginiamn.com for more information.

I've been working in Afghanistan at Bagram Airbase with KBR Fire for the last 1+ year as a Fire Inspector. Not sure how much longer I'll be staying here, given the economy the way it is.
    I'm Looking forward to getting back and trying to get my business off the ground.
    Also, the U.S. Fish & Game is looking for seasonal wildland firefighters to deploy anywhere in the U.S. for the 2009 fire season if anyone is interested.

Job Location: City Of Virginia
    115 Fourth Avenue North
    Fire Hall
    Virginia, MN 55792

How to Apply: Mail: Sherry Erickson
    327 South First Street
    City Hall
    Virginia, MN 55792

Phone: Sherry Erickson
    (218) 748-6621

Fax: Sherry Erickson
    (218) 749-3580

Email: ericksons@virginiamn.us

In Person: Sherry Erickson
    327 South First Street
    City Hall
    Virginia, MN 55792

Job Title: Firefighter/Paramedic
    Work Type: Work Days: Weekdays, Saturday, Sunday, Work Vary: Yes , Shift: Varies, Hours Per Week: 53, Work Type: Regular

Salary Offered: $3,669.00 - $3,669.00 Monthly
    Benefits: 401(k) or other retirement, Clothing/uniform allowance, Dental Insurance, Health Insurance, Holidays, Sick Leave or PTO, Vacation or PTO

Physical Required: Yes
    Drug Testing Required: Yes
    Education Required: High School Diploma/GED
    Special License/ Certification Required: Certification w/National Registry as a Paramedic
    Experience Required: None

Required Skills: A high school diploma or its equivalent; Completion of an accepted Firefighter I and II program of training equivalent to NFPA Standard 1001; Completion of current ACLS, BTLS, PALS and CPR courses with accompanying certifications; License requirements: Valid vehicle operator equivalent to Minnesota Class D; Ability to obtain Minnesota Class B vehicle license as necessary; Certification with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians as a Paramedic and able to be certified as a Paramedic in the State of Minnesota; and MN Fire Certification Board Firefighter I and II certified, or be able to obtain MN Fire Certifications within one year of employment; and successfully pass the City of Virginia pre-employment medical examination, background check, and other exams, as requested by the City of Virginia.
    Preferred Skills: Application Deadline is January 30, 2009. For a job description and application, please contact HR, City of Virginia, 327 First Street South, Virginia, MN 55792 or download application at www.virginiamn.us.

Driver's License: Class D Required

Job Description: The City of Virginia, Minnesota, is taking applications for the purpose of compiling a new eligibility list for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic with the Virignia Fire/EMS Department. Testing and initial interview will be Friday, February 6, 2009. Physical agility test will be on Saturday, February 7, 2009.
    Refer to ID FF 11/2008 when applying
    Last edited by FireOfficerTrue; 11-23-2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added info

MembersZone Subscriber

Default St. Paul

I just saw this on the St. Paul website. Looks like they're planning to open up at the end of January. About time too, its been four years since their last test.

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.asp?NID=1845

MembersZone Subscriber

DAMN YOU ECONOMY!!!

Due to the State of Minnesota's economic situation, and the possible impact on City resources, the City of Saint Paul has decided to delay the Firefighter exam until further notice. This website will be updated as more information is available.

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.asp?NID=1845

Anybody heard about Minneapolis or MAC? I know Duluth is testing in a couple of weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireOfficerTrue View Post
    Virginia, MN. is starting an eligibility list for Firefighter/Paramedic. The Phys. Ag. test is sometime in February. Go to the City's website www.virginiamn.com for more information.

I've been working in Afghanistan at Bagram Airbase with KBR Fire for the last 1+ year as a Fire Inspector. Not sure how much longer I'll be staying here, given the economy the way it is.
    I'm Looking forward to getting back and trying to get my business off the ground.
    Also, the U.S. Fish & Game is looking for seasonal wildland firefighters to deploy anywhere in the U.S. for the 2009 fire season if anyone is interested.

Job Location: City Of Virginia
    115 Fourth Avenue North
    Fire Hall
    Virginia, MN 55792

How to Apply: Mail: Sherry Erickson
    327 South First Street
    City Hall
    Virginia, MN 55792

Phone: Sherry Erickson
    (218) 748-6621

Fax: Sherry Erickson
    (218) 749-3580

Email: ericksons@virginiamn.us

In Person: Sherry Erickson
    327 South First Street
    City Hall
    Virginia, MN 55792

Job Title: Firefighter/Paramedic
    Work Type: Work Days: Weekdays, Saturday, Sunday, Work Vary: Yes , Shift: Varies, Hours Per Week: 53, Work Type: Regular

Salary Offered: $3,669.00 - $3,669.00 Monthly
    Benefits: 401(k) or other retirement, Clothing/uniform allowance, Dental Insurance, Health Insurance, Holidays, Sick Leave or PTO, Vacation or PTO

Physical Required: Yes
    Drug Testing Required: Yes
    Education Required: High School Diploma/GED
    Special License/ Certification Required: Certification w/National Registry as a Paramedic
    Experience Required: None

Required Skills: A high school diploma or its equivalent; Completion of an accepted Firefighter I and II program of training equivalent to NFPA Standard 1001; Completion of current ACLS, BTLS, PALS and CPR courses with accompanying certifications; License requirements: Valid vehicle operator equivalent to Minnesota Class D; Ability to obtain Minnesota Class B vehicle license as necessary; Certification with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians as a Paramedic and able to be certified as a Paramedic in the State of Minnesota; and MN Fire Certification Board Firefighter I and II certified, or be able to obtain MN Fire Certifications within one year of employment; and successfully pass the City of Virginia pre-employment medical examination, background check, and other exams, as requested by the City of Virginia.
    Preferred Skills: Application Deadline is January 30, 2009. For a job description and application, please contact HR, City of Virginia, 327 First Street South, Virginia, MN 55792 or download application at www.virginiamn.us.

Driver's License: Class D Required

Job Description: The City of Virginia, Minnesota, is taking applications for the purpose of compiling a new eligibility list for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic with the Virignia Fire/EMS Department. Testing and initial interview will be Friday, February 6, 2009. Physical agility test will be on Saturday, February 7, 2009.
    Refer to ID FF 11/2008 when applying
    Virginia is a good dept with great people. They are 1 of our 2 ALS intercept depts, they handled over 3100 calls "medical/Fire" in 2008. They also get numerous Mutual aid calls from the surrounding area. If anyone is gonna test with them and want to know about the area feel free to drop me a line. ggwash21@msn.com .
    Buhl Fire/Ems Buhl, Mn

MembersZone Subscriber

BUMP

Here is the latest update from across MN. I am by no means an expert or have all the knowledge, so please feel free to add.

Burnsville is taking apps for FF/MEDIC.
    http://www.ci.burnsville.mn.us/jobs.asp?jobID=23

I know Fargo just took applications again (closed 13 Feb). They are hiring 12 FFs over then next 8 months!!! I hope somebody out there is on their list. I was on the list, but due to family requirements, won't be able to move out there if they offered me the position.

No words on St. Paul or Minneapolis, with some of the bailout money funneling down to public safety, maybe those depts will gear up for establishing another list within a year.

South Metro, Richfield, Duluth, St. Cloud, and Mankato just had lists established, so they are good for awhile.

MAC will probably take apps, test, and establish a list this summer.

Rochester last I heard they were going to taking apps late spring/early summer

With the economy in flux, it is hard to tell who is going to be hiring when and how many they are going to take. We are in the 4-8 year window where we will start to see A LOT of baby-boomers retiring. That will open up a number of positions in any department (especially Mpls and St Paul). However, if the economy keeps going south, those guys may elect to postpone retirement.

Keep the faith, keep working hard, and keep all of your fellow FF wannabes up to date on all the info out there.
    Last edited by b52turkish; 02-27-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Does anyone know the requirements for St Cloud?

MembersZone Subscriber

St. Paul updated their site today to say they are anticipating accepting applications in January 2010. It's still six months away, but at least it's something to look forward to.

Forum Member

Does anybody have any info on any hirings around the state?

Thread Information