Forum Member

Default Bay Area Fed Fire

Hello everybody, I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with. I am 23 yrs. old and am taking the fire testing very seriously now. I recently graduated with a BS in Sociology and I have my EMT and FF 1 certs. I have no military experience but I have always heard that Fed depts. are a great way to start. I am looking for any and every fed. dept. in the Bay Area and northern California that I, a civilian, may qualify for.

I'm a hard worker and am willing to earn my way up. I'm no stranger to hard work as I've been working for my dad in construction since I was a kid. I am going to have a baby with my girlfriend and will probably be getting married soon. I don't want to be a bum and have some dead end job. Whatever the case may be I will work where ever. Any depts./advice/tips you all could recommend is greatly appreciated. I don't mean to be telling you all a sob story, just a little overwhelmed right now. Thanks again for the help and I hope to be working with you all some day

-John

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySF View Post
    Hello everybody, I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with. I am 23 yrs. old and am taking the fire testing very seriously now. I recently graduated with a BS in Sociology and I have my EMT and FF 1 certs. I have no military experience but I have always heard that Fed depts. are a great way to start. I am looking for any and every fed. dept. in the Bay Area and northern California that I, a civilian, may qualify for.

I'm a hard worker and am willing to earn my way up. I'm no stranger to hard work as I've been working for my dad in construction since I was a kid. I am going to have a baby with my girlfriend and will probably be getting married soon. I don't want to be a bum and have some dead end job. Whatever the case may be I will work where ever. Any depts./advice/tips you all could recommend is greatly appreciated. I don't mean to be telling you all a sob story, just a little overwhelmed right now. Thanks again for the help and I hope to be working with you all some day

-John
    If you want to get in with DOD your BS will be of great help. Basically you will qaulify for all gs 5 jobs and lower. Normally a gs 5 requires Firefighter 1 and 2, haz mat awareness and ops, ARFF. Your degree lets you skip those. You will have to get them once you get hired.

To be hired by DOD is really tough, especially if you have zero military or are not currently working as a DOD firefighter. Do this, go to usajobs.com and do a series job search. Under series, put in 0081 (firefighter) and find the gs 4 and 5 jobs that are open to the public. Apply online and create a resume. Experience, fire certs and EMT are everything. If you don't have them, best of luck to you.

You can also try indeed.com and search firefighter. Some companies have private fire departments and again your BS is helpful. Search keywords like firefighter, ARFF, airport firefighter, private firefighter, and industrial firefighter. You will find 100's of jobs.

Finally, take the first job you get. No exceptions.

I am done,

Kev

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCalElias View Post

What is that?

Forum Member

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate all the advise and will take any position offered. And I will definitley keep you posted with my progress. It's sink or swim time, I got this! Thanks again

Forum Member

limiting yourself to one area makes it much harder to get hired on with DOD. You're best chance would be to apply to every job open and get into the system and once in start working on transfering back to the Bay Area. I had a buddy close to in your shoes and wanted to work in NC but culdn't make the list so he took a job up in PA. It wasn't where he wanted to work but it got him into the system. 6 months later a job down here came open and he was able to transfer to the same place he couldn't get hired into before. again just my $.02

MembersZone Subscriber

I tend to disagree with that line of thought.

Chief's are on this site as we are. Not just military, but civillian departments nationwide. They may not post or if they do, they may not let on who they are, but that is not my whole point. Should a chief know before hiring you, that you may just be "jumping ship" to another department, my bet is you would not get hired. Bringing a firefighter into the department is utilizing funds out of his budget that could be used to hire a firefighter who seriously wants in, and plans on staying. It is my personal belief that if you seriously want to be hired by a particular department, you should also want to live in the same town. Living in the town shows the commitment to protecting and learning the town not just on shift, but every day. Some towns are just horrible, so if you don't want to live there what incentive is there to make changes in that town? In regards to the Fed, living there is slightly different. However locating yourself closer in my opinion makes you that much more familiar with the surroundings, should you run mutual aid.

I have placed all my eggs in one basket. I have been concentrating all my efforts on one department. If not hired I can hold my head up and can say I tried my hardest placing everything into what I truly desire. I believe having that commitment and desire is something that comes across in an interview. A canidate having such pride in a department, even before being hired, is one of the qualities of a person I believe interviewers are trying to find. However I may be totally wrong, but I have to believe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    I tend to disagree with that line of thought.

Chief's are on this site as we are. Not just military, but civillian departments nationwide. They may not post or if they do, they may not let on who they are, but that is not my whole point. Should a chief know before hiring you, that you may just be "jumping ship" to another department, my bet is you would not get hired. Bringing a firefighter into the department is utilizing funds out of his budget that could be used to hire a firefighter who seriously wants in, and plans on staying. It is my personal belief that if you seriously want to be hired by a particular department, you should also want to live in the same town. Living in the town shows the commitment to protecting and learning the town not just on shift, but every day. Some towns are just horrible, so if you don't want to live there what incentive is there to make changes in that town? In regards to the Fed, living there is slightly different. However locating yourself closer in my opinion makes you that much more familiar with the surroundings, should you run mutual aid.

I have placed all my eggs in one basket. I have been concentrating all my efforts on one department. If not hired I can hold my head up and can say I tried my hardest placing everything into what I truly desire. I believe having that commitment and desire is something that comes across in an interview. A canidate having such pride in a department, even before being hired, is one of the qualities of a person I believe interviewers are trying to find. However I may be totally wrong, but I have to believe.

Federal Fire Departments is no different than City/County/State Fire Departments... You need to apply to as many opening as possible for a chance to get hired (or you will be on the outside looking in, so to speak). Sometimes you don't get hired on the department on the top of a individuals list of departments "I want to work for". So your first dept you get hired may be a stepping stone to get where you want to go when you get off probabtion. Keep your mouth shut and give 110% until you/individual get hired elsewhere.

Also most Federal Departments are small and have little promotional advances up the ranks. In order to promote sometimes you will have to look elsewhere. Most Chief's understand that (some can be ***' about it). Positions are not hard to fill and there is someone out there waiting to take your postion (no shortage of applications). If people bail often from a department, then mangement needs to look in the mirror and figure out why (most likely it's not a stepping stone department, but rather a bad atmosphere/morale, etc...).

So go where you can and keep your mouth shut and wait until you get off probabtion to look to go elsewhere. You never know, you may like where you got hired and stay.

Forum Member

That is exactly what happened to me. I wanted to get on to a certain dept at home but couldn't. Another department about 2 hours down theroad had a opening and I took it. It ended up that I started at this department as a GS7 and the other would have started me at a GS5. Also now that I have been here 3 years and have seen a few places and talked to a few people I know that the department I first tried to get on is run down and nothing works and the majority of the people there are trying to jump ship. This department is great and is run by one of the best chiefs I have ever met. If i had not been willing to look at other places and only tried at the first base I would have ended up not too happy and who knows if I would even be in the system yet.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by meapplegate View Post
    This department is great and is run by one of the best chiefs I have ever met.
    MEAPPLEGATE, Go and wipe your nose off...or maybe you don't have to. The Chief doesn't read this stuff. Just bustin your junk man!!!

Forum Member

are you saying that it isn't true? lol

Forum Member

Besides I'M not the one who left only to come begging for his job back. lol

Thread Information