Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Houston FF's Pull Victim From House Fire. Raw Footage

Houston, Texas Station 19 pulls a victim from a working house fire. Raw Footage.

Click The Link Below to go directly to the video:
    http://www.thebravestonline.com/news...view=1&id=6502

MembersZone Subscriber

nice rescue..... maybe they should try putting out the fire too

(im being sarcastic)

Forum Member

hmm...that didn't look very safe

also sarcastic

Forum Member

I don't understand why the first hoseline didn't knock down the visible fire on there way in that may block their egress? The would have taken 5 seconds. Nice save though.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Nice to see them pull someone out.
    I wonder how many posters on here would have gone defensive on that...
    Anyways, curious why they wouldn't knock down that fire by the entrance first. Something to learn here? Am I missing a tactical decision?
    Always open to new ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default from all those words above the video...

..."Houston Fire Department station 19 has been featured on the site several times. These firefighters are no strangers to dangerous situations, tons of fire, and little sleep while on shift. On Monday June 23, 2008 Firefighters from Station 19-D were notified of a working structure fire with victims trapped. When Engine and Ladder 19 arrived they could hear a man screaming for help near a back room. The rear of the structure was nearly impossible to access due to a large amount of "clutter". Firefighters from Ladder 19 proceeded to breach a wall while crews from Engine 19 made entry in the front door. Crews made a decision not to immediately suppress the fire in order to keep the heat and steam off of the victim they were working to rescue. Firefighters from Engine 19 located the victim and removed him from the house. The victim will make a full recovery and received only minor burns and smoke inhalation."

"The house did have burglar bars which added another hurdle in the rescue. Another great job from the protectors of Houston's historic 5th Ward!"
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

they should look into smooth bores

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    ..."Houston Fire Department station 19 has been featured on the site several times. These firefighters are no strangers to dangerous situations, tons of fire, and little sleep while on shift. On Monday June 23, 2008 Firefighters from Station 19-D were notified of a working structure fire with victims trapped. When Engine and Ladder 19 arrived they could hear a man screaming for help near a back room. The rear of the structure was nearly impossible to access due to a large amount of "clutter". Firefighters from Ladder 19 proceeded to breach a wall while crews from Engine 19 made entry in the front door. Crews made a decision not to immediately suppress the fire in order to keep the heat and steam off of the victim they were working to rescue. Firefighters from Engine 19 located the victim and removed him from the house. The victim will make a full recovery and received only minor burns and smoke inhalation."

"The house did have burglar bars which added another hurdle in the rescue. Another great job from the protectors of Houston's historic 5th Ward!"

should we take bets on how many people pipe up that you dont actually push the heat and fire andy more?

MembersZone Subscriber

the fifth ward where 19's is located is full of shacks and shanty homes. 1-2 bedroom shotgun homes mainly. If you want to save any part of the house, u have to be aggressive and get in there. There is no time to play around.

I know most engines dont use smoothbore handlines but most engines do have vindicator nozzles on them.... if they are used is up to the captain that day.

1'd bet that 1/2 the houses in the nickel have burglar bars

Firehouse19.com if you want to check out their other videos.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    ...Crews made a decision not to immediately suppress the fire in order to keep the heat and steam off of the victim they were working to rescue. Firefighters from Engine 19 located the victim and removed him from the house. The victim will make a full recovery and received only minor burns and smoke inhalation."
    That's what I was thinking. Don't want to spray too much and push it onto the guys inside. It is so hard to discipline yourself NOT to do that for the greater good. Th building is a loss anyway no matter what. Gotta make it as less complicated as possible to do the rescue, why create more problems by putting water on the outside stuff?

Great job guys, nice rescue!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Don't want to spray too much and push it onto the guys inside. It is so hard to discipline yourself NOT to do that for the greater good. Th building is a loss anyway no matter what. Gotta make it as less complicated as possible to do the rescue, why create more problems by putting water on the outside stuff?

Especially since it looked like the fire started on the front porch anyway.

Also, was the guy with the video camera asleep? He had the chance to get some dramatic footage of this rescue and the subequent pre-hospital treatment of the victim but instead, acts as if nothing is happening.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

It was strange how quiet the radio was. Even after the cameraman reported the burst length. Sounds like they have those garbage 800mhz trunked radios.

Good job with the grab! Minor burns after that is great!

Forum Member

Nice pull.

Forum Member

Good job on the grab, but c'mon, that wasn't much of a fire.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Good job on the grab, but c'mon, that wasn't much of a fire.
    i dont know, i bet the entry way of that house was pretty trashed!

Forum Member

[ Crews made a decision not to immediately suppress the fire in order to keep the heat and steam off of the victim they were working to rescue. "

Until they pulled him across the free-burning and collapsing porch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

That limited exterior fire would not be pushed anywhere by the stream from a handline.

It would simply go out. And once it did, the rest of the porch would not be so hot and completely falling apart as they try to pull a civilian across it.

Letting it burn in this case is what seems to be making it more complicated. Putting water on the porch and exterior siding of the house to make the doorway tenable hardly seems like it would create more problems in this case.

Truckie

Didn't take long for those that where nowhere near the scene to arm-chair quarterback the entire scene.
    How about we limit the replies to this discussion to those who have actually made a grab in fire conditions.
    The rest just read and learn something.
    To those involved, JOB WELL DONE!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Didn't take long for those that where nowhere near the scene to arm-chair quarterback the entire scene.
    How about we limit the replies to this discussion to those who have actually made a grab in fire conditions.
    The rest just read and learn something.
    To those involved, JOB WELL DONE!
    What makes you so sure those that replied here haven't???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    That limited exterior fire would not be pushed anywhere by the stream from a handline.

It would simply go out. And once it did, the rest of the porch would not be so hot and completely falling apart as they try to pull a civilian across it.

Letting it burn in this case is what seems to be making it more complicated. Putting water on the porch and exterior siding of the house to make the doorway tenable hardly seems like it would create more problems in this case.
    So the crew should start knocking the fire while the victim dies of smoke inhalation?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    So the crew should start knocking the fire while the victim dies of smoke inhalation?
    Who said to let the victim die?

Hate to tell you this but that is what the fire department does! They put fires out. Even with people in the building. Thats how it works.

Knocking down fire so you can enter a doorway to get to the victim is a pretty common practice. Letting the entrance door burn freely while you walk into it and then pull a victim from it after it has completely deteriorated due to fire isn't quite as common.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitllesmertz1 View Post
    Nice to see them pull someone out.
    I wonder how many posters on here would have gone defensive on that...
    Anyways, curious why they wouldn't knock down that fire by the entrance first. Something to learn here? Am I missing a tactical decision?
    Always open to new ideas.

My guess is 75%!

Because rescue is higher in the food chain than suppression.
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Forum Member

So that's an engine company (I assume) that drops their line right after making entry, and goes humping for a victim?

No backup line, and it looks as if that fire is very containable from the video, which I admit is limited, so I can't tell about the whole picture.

I would jack those guys silly. Engine job is to put out the fire. Truck is for rescue. Those guys messed up IMO. Sure, they might have possibly saved a victim (we don't know if he live BTW), but they definitely put themselves in way, way too deep with no backup that I saw on hand. I would say they went birddogging, and quite possibly made the situation worse. They just got lucky that it didn't go bad.

Forum Member

When there is a victim in a fire it doesn't matter. The first arriving company is going to go in and get them be it engine, truck, or rescue.
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya if I am on a engine and first in and someone is trapped you bet your *** I am going to try and save the persons' life that is what we do protect life's and property in that order. No matter what type of truck you come in on. Hell if you have gear and SCBA and on an ambulance and cam make a grab in a safe way go for it. I know I would.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

Thread Information