Forum Member

Cool I got my packet from Reedy Creek!

I got my packet and acceptance letter yesterday. I'm pretty bummed I have to pay $100 for my preemployment test at Central Florida Fire Academy. I understand departments are going this route now. I'm reminded of testing at City of Bradenton. I spent $150 out of pocket for a physical (I have NO health insurance) just to take their task readiness test to later find out there were no firefighter job openings, they were just generating a list.

I'm in Medic school and supporting myself right now and pretty much living paycheck to paycheck. This $100 was unexpected and not going to be easy for me. So, since I've already done this once before, what can I expect from Reedy Creek? I would like to know my chances going into this thing. HR told me the fire department looks through each resume and chooses who they want to test, so I feel pretty good that I made it passed the first step! How many do they choose to test, how many make it through the test, how many make it through the interviews, etc.....

Anyone working for RCID or tested for them before? Fill me in!

MembersZone Subscriber

not to rain on your parade, but considering they probably have ATLEAST 100 people testing, for the 2 positions they have available, and the fact they are going to hire medics.........good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    not to rain on your parade, but considering they probably have ATLEAST 100 people testing, for the 2 positions they have available, and the fact they are going to hire medics.........good luck
    You know its probably more like 500. A student I had riding with me last shift said he and 5 other guys got picked and were heading up too. A few years ago I would have said do it for the sake of test taking experience, but with the cost of everything and you living paycheck-to-paycheck I would say save yourself the 100 bucks and pass on this. The reason I say that is because your still a student and not a medic yet. That is the same thing I told the student who was riding with me. The system is over-saturated with people who are medics and the job market is low. Don't let it get you down, when your done with medic school you'll be the person who gets a job over the people who are only in school. Good luck
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

I can't believe there's hundreds of people testing. The physical and written will only be held over 2 days at the fire academy. At least my scores will be good for a year if they hire again.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

I would pass either way and start applying where you can be a fireman.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post

I still, do not understand your problem with reedy creek. It almost seems like you are offended by the department. If you LIVED here and understood what it is like in FL right now with the job market and outlook for jobs, you wouldn't be so quick to make such a moronic statement. Secondly, the pay alone is worth the job. Sorry if that sounds bad, but hey, you gotta eat and provide for your family ya know. For the record, I do not work for Reedy Creek. Also, this is not like the rest of the USA. Quite frankly, I feel the rest of the US has it EASY compared to us in FL when it comes to getting job. You show up, take a civil service test, do well, and they PAY YOU to go through THEIR academy. Must be nice......Try and come to FL, where you pay your way through an academy and EMT school ( and now, probably medic school too) then go apply with 500-1000 other people: who have the exact same certifications as you do...My point to this is, you can't be picky around here man, you get a job where you can, period.

Forum Member

Hey man, you can make your own decisions, if you want to take the test take it bro, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, I would never say not to apply somewhere, take every chance you get to test and get picked up, make yourself stand out from the rest and that 100 bucks would be chump change if for some reason you were picked out the rest, but keep in mind it is for only a few positions and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) their pay is based on a 40 hour work week?

Anyways don't forget....Orange County just posted up for hiring, and if you are smart you will bookmark all the cities and county websites ALL over FL and check the employment/job posting sections DAILY you never know what will pop up and be gone in a few days...

GOOD LUCK!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    And where would that be? Thanks for the advice.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Dropped off the paperwork and paid the $100 today after work. I was having second thoughts this morning, but did it anyway. I'm glad I did. I got to talk to some folks and found out there is no where near 100 people. I'm feeling better about my odds. I also found out my scores will be good for a year and are used by several departments in the area. Now on to studying for this test.
    ...at this time.

Floater for life!!

I will give my $.02.....you are a new firefighter and should take the first job that is offered...i myself sent out 45 apps, had 15 interviews, took about 20 exams and agility test to only get one job offer...and i took it.....my dept (Osceola County) runs a lot of mutual aid with the "creek"......they got some good guys out there...my only problem would be is that 99% of your calls are BS medical calls.....but thats just the nature of calls in that area with the tourists and the fact that if you stay in a Disney hotel you get free transport to the hospital if needed......Disney is so heavily sprinklered and alarmed that they dont run a lot of fire.....but to reiterate...test and apply everywhere and take the 1st job offer you get

MembersZone Subscriber

Look at this way, you have potential of working at one of the greatest "targets of oppurtunity" if you know what I mean. There is also potential for specialized rescue with the rides and monorail. If and when I get my certs switched Reedy Creek would be one of my first choices.

Forum Member

I tested this morning. Went really well. I spent some time sizing up the competition and I feel pretty good about it (no offense to anyone else at the testing, it was a cool group of people). I'll find out in a week or so if I get an interview.

I've always wanted to work at Reedy Creek. My interest is in the more technical things like special operations, prevention, and investigation. I get plenty of fire at my current department. I'm also looking for the money and 48 hour week. My goal is to not need a second job outside of the fire department and I don't think I could do that at my department. I've got hobbies, and some day I'd like another wife and maybe some kids.

e10pvmt, I live in Brandon too. Cool to see a local in the discussion.
    ...at this time.

Thread Information