Forum Member

Question Jr. Firefighting in Ohio

Hello,

I'm looking for someone who is affiliated with a Jr. Firefighting or can help advise on the limitations by Ohio law for a Jr. program in Ohio. I'm currently helping a local department look into what we'd be restricted from allowing Jr. members doing/operating by law.

If someone could help, please let me know. It'd be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks.

Forum Member

Seeing as this will most likely be one of my last posts for the next 8 weeks, I'll let Kyle handle this (Rfxplr326) he knows it all just about as well as I do.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Contact your local Boy Scout Office. They are the ones that ultimately run the Explorer program. This helps set up insurance and guidelines. You can always do it without them, but they have done this many times before.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanG View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for someone who is affiliated with a Jr. Firefighting or can help advise on the limitations by Ohio law for a Jr. program in Ohio. I'm currently helping a local department look into what we'd be restricted from allowing Jr. members doing/operating by law.

If someone could help, please let me know. It'd be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks.
    As for Juniors, it's usually up to the individual department and/or the party who will be supplying the insurance. Child labor laws still apply.

I'm not going to go further because I can see this thread turning into an Explorer vs. Juniors ****ing match very shortly.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sounds like Explorers is much better option as it takes off a lot of the big initial humps in starting a program for younger members on the Department. Insurance, bylaws, SOP's, etc.

I've never heard much about the differences in the two programs, though. Could someone sum that up who knows?

Forum Member

Sounds like Explorers is much better option as it takes off a lot of the big initial humps in starting a program for younger members on the Department. Insurance, bylaws, SOP's, etc.

I've never heard much about the differences in the two programs, though. Could someone sum that up who knows?
    Basically an explorer is a program that the boy scouts sponsor, insurance, what you can and cant do. and a Jr program is normally run by the department your working with but its all about there insurance if theyll allow junior members to be covered if anything should ever happen to you. but it shouldnt theres also the guidelines that would be put in place by your department then and you have to follow the child labor laws.
    hope this helps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Basically an explorer is a program that the boy scouts sponsor, insurance, what you can and cant do. and a Jr program is normally run by the department your working with but its all about there insurance if theyll allow junior members to be covered if anything should ever happen to you. but it shouldnt theres also the guidelines that would be put in place by your department then and you have to follow the child labor laws.
    hope this helps
    So basically, you just re-iterated everything he already knew... lol.

Do a search for this subject - PLEASE - there's a lot of threads out there about Juniors vs. Explorers. PLEASE, do not stir the pot and start this ***** again - Covering my own @ss, I've built up a lot of respect from a few senior members and I'll be damned to see it ruined because of a ****ing match like this.
    Here - I searched for you-
    http://forums.firehouse.com/search.php?searchid=601934
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I've built up a lot of respect from a few senior members and I'll be damned to see it ruined because of a ****ing match like this.
    So don't get involved........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Warning: I do not want me thread to turn into a flame war or bashing match. I hope if were all mature enough to be given the trust to be on a fireground to support/assist, we can handle that.

If you can't deal with helping me out without starting a pouting and screaming match to prove who's program "has more muscles," then please.. STAY THE H**L out.

That is all.

Thank you for the help thus far guys. If anyone is apart or involved in a Junior/Explorer Firefighting program in Ohio I'd love to speak with you and see how our program(s) differ and are alike. Possibly throw some good ideas at each other and improve our own department's policies and events/activities.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    So don't get involved........
    That's a good idea Brian... Thanks.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    As for Juniors, it's usually up to the individual department and/or the party who will be supplying the insurance. Child labor laws still apply.

I'm not going to go further because I can see this thread turning into an Explorer vs. Juniors ****ing match very shortly.
    Why? All he did was ask what the restrictions are?

Forum Member

Another question for ya'll. At your Explorer Post.. how do you respond to calls/callouts with the department? On a department apparatus with regular FF personnel or a total separate form of transportation than with the department?

Of course it wouldn't be the first responding vehicle, but is it allowed for Explorers to take a free seat as long as they do not perform actions on the fireground that go against BSA rules?

Forum Member

Another question for ya'll. At your Explorer Post.. how do you respond to calls/callouts with the department? On a department apparatus with regular FF personnel or a total separate form of transportation than with the department?

Of course it wouldn't be the first responding vehicle, but is it allowed for Explorers to take a free seat as long as they do not perform actions on the fireground that go against BSA rules?
    As long as there is a free seat we roll with the app.

MembersZone Subscriber

im a former jr. ff now a lieutenant on my dept. and im also incharge of all the cadets. we have a "sop" for our jr's and we let them do alot like ; fight small to medium grass fires safe ones of course , we also alow them to be on the end of and exterior line when a ff is behind them and i also let them do salvage and overhaul once the air is clear, and we trani them to do traffic control at our mva's.and also our jr's participate in all trainings and to some extent our advanced trainings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rleifheit View Post
    im a former jr. ff now a lieutenant on my dept. and im also incharge of all the cadets. we have a "sop" for our jr's and we let them do alot like ; fight small to medium grass fires safe ones of course , we also alow them to be on the end of and exterior line when a ff is behind them and i also let them do salvage and overhaul once the air is clear, and we trani them to do traffic control at our mva's.and also our jr's participate in all trainings and to some extent our advanced trainings.
    I've never been to a safe fire before. I'm not sure I'd want someone directing traffic that hasn't even driven a vehicle before.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    I've never been to a safe fire before. I'm not sure I'd want someone directing traffic that hasn't even driven a vehicle before.
    No disrespect meant - but I can not agree with you more. No fire is safe enough to allow minors to handle lines.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

This conversation has been here several times and always ends up with the same results. That being said, I contacted the state to make sure I knew (as an instructor) what I was talking about. No person should be doing any sort of live fire training that has not been trained to at least 36 hours in Ohio. They do not even do a burn in 36 hour class. They cannot do it until they are certified. Also, check the ORC or OAC and you will see that you are not even supposed to wear an SCBA until you have been trained. This is all for your protection as well as your juniors or explorers. I know that the BSA says that live fire training is allowed. The state trumps the BSA any day of the week. I am all for getting people trained and interested in the fire service at a young age. However, there are many aspects of the job that do not require them to be put into harms way, whether intentionally or not. Train creatively and you can have a lot of fun and learn a lot.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information