MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Fighting Feelings For Fighting Fires

So the Dept. I've always wanted to work at is hiring, & I made it through the application portion, & testing w/interviews are on Sat. It's my dream job @ a great place with great people, but I don't have as much as experience or hands-on knowledge as I'd like, or probably the other people applying. I'm a fast learner & I'd bust my butt to do what I need to in order to keep up, but I'm just starting to feel like I'm too dumb or not good enough to even go Sat. Should I go and possibly make myself look like more of an idiot with no chance of ever coming back, or just look somewhere else?

Forum Member

what department is it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireunderdog View Post
    So the Dept. I've always wanted to work at is hiring, & I made it through the application portion, & testing w/interviews are on Sat. It's my dream job @ a great place with great people, but I don't have as much as experience or hands-on knowledge as I'd like, or probably the other people applying. I'm a fast learner & I'd bust my butt to do what I need to in order to keep up, but I'm just starting to feel like I'm too dumb or not good enough to even go Sat. Should I go and possibly make myself look like more of an idiot with no chance of ever coming back, or just look somewhere else?
    If you try and fail, at least you can say you tried.

If you don't even try, then why bother even getting out of bed every morning?

You can't live your life fearing failure. The most successful people fail every once in a while. If you're not failing every once in a while, it's a sign you're not doing anything interesting.

Get out there and do it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

I snapped my wrist yesterday, and it had a bit of a dull ache but I thought it'd be ok, this morning 3 of my fingers are completely numb and I can't turn my wrist, so apparently I'll be doing the physical portion one-handed too. -_-

Forum Member

Default New Job

I've always said "One can not get a job unless he/she applies for it." Give it your best shot and who knows....maybe they'll pick you. It's easier to train someone with no experience then those with. Those with prior experience with a different Fire Department will have to forget the way they were taught and learn a new way.

Jay
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    what department is it?
    What difference does it make?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not for nothin', but grow up. All you're doing with your self=deprecating comments is looking for people to tell you "You're wonderful!".

You applied for the job and you made it to the interviews. Shut up and go to the interview. Unless of course you need to whine about missing the interview. Then do your best. Hopefully, if you go to the interview, you will exhibit a little more maturity than you are exhibiting here. The last thing the fire service needs is another crybaby.

Good God, have some self-respect.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm just wondering if its better go with a high chance of not getting it or simply pass to work on improving. I don't know what's better so I'm asking (good way to learn things), appreciate the vote of confidence though.
    Last edited by fireunderdog; 06-27-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    what department is it?
    What difference does it make?
    Firefighter2230 in also from North Carolina, so it seems pretty reasonable that he/she would be curious where this "dream department" would be. Either that or maybe Firefighter2230 didn't know of any fire departments in NC conducting a hiring process and was a little suspicious of fireunderdog.

All you're doing with your self=deprecating comments is looking for people to tell you "You're wonderful!".
    That's the way it came off to me as well.

Not really. I'm just wondering if its better go with a high chance of not getting it or simply pass to work on improving. I don't know what's better so I'm simply asking, appreciate the vote of confidence though.
    If you had worded it that way to begin with, I don't think you would have gotten the negative reaction. Now that you've rephrased what you meant with an indirect question like that, it's a sentiment most firefighters can relate to. It also seems more like you're asking for advise now and not just a pat on the back. I would have been more likely to try and help right after reading this last night if you have put it like that because I went through the same thing.

Everyone here is going to tell you to go for it, but I chose to wait and better myself before I even applied to my "dream department." Now that you've already applied and passed the written, though, you might as well just go for it and learn something. I highly doubt that you'll never be considered for job again if you don't get hired just because you're not totally ready this time around. I know plenty of people who've applied multiple times to the same department before getting hired.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. Sorry if the first one came off wrong, I'm so worried about trying to give it my best and I lost my grandfather to cancer yesterday evening so I've really been stressing. I appreciate the info. I didn't know if everyone just went regardless or if it's better to simply regroup and try again when better prepared, or if that looked bad.

Forum Member

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. Sorry if the first one came off wrong, I'm so worried about trying to give it my best and I lost my grandfather to cancer yesterday evening so I've really been stressing. I appreciate the info. I didn't know if everyone just went regardless or if it's better to simply regroup and try again when better prepared, or if that looked bad.
    Call me overly suspicious, but I'm not sure that I can believe any of this until you tell us which department you're talking about.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Call me overly suspicious, but I'm not sure that I can believe any of this until you tell us which department you're talking about.
    It doesn't make any difference what FD it is.

Forum Member

It doesn't make any difference what FD it is.
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe fireunderdog is making this whole thing up? Just because this person is a members zone subscriber doesn't mean he/she isn't a troll. It may not make any difference to you, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't to anyone else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe fireunderdog is making this whole thing up? Just because this person is a members zone subscriber doesn't mean he/she isn't a troll. It may not make any difference to you, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't to anyone else.
    Did you ever stop to think that even if he is making it up the advice that the intelligent people here, like me, gave him may help someone else regardless of what FD it is?

Good thing's happening

I haven't said anything in a long time but I feel it is warranted for me to post. First A lot of people read this forum. I spilled my feelings here stupidly and got crushed at the fd. So maybe she doesn't and shouldn't let it be known. If she really wanted it to be known she would have said it. Also if you read her second post she has a injury so that could be someones focus and being brought up when it doesn't need to be. Let's give her advice don't ridicule her. As for underdog don't ever give up. You want it get it. Strive harder every day.

Rob
    Last edited by eaglesrule1024; 06-28-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Forum Member

From a lesson from my first academy, and from a lot of fire brothers & sisters has been this: _Firefighters_ don't give up. Independent of his current issues? It can't hurt but to try, right? Go, give it ur best, at least you tried!

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Actually, I'm a she, not he. 0.o I don't want to give the name of the department just for privacy reasons because people DO like to hurt more than help. I'm not sure what a "troll" is, but I'm going to go tomorrow and do my best, & appreciate the advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure what a "troll" is
    FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Forum Member

If you need to ask about showing up, don't bother. You haven't even set foot on the grounds of your "dream job" and you're already talking about bailing out. What's going to happen when your motivation, confidence, and self-discipline are acutally put to the test?

If you want the job that bad, stop coming up with reasons/excuses for failure. Shut up and do what is necessary. BTW, if this post bothers you, you don't have the skin for the job. Take all this crap and use it as motivation.

Forum Member

Did you ever stop to think that even if he is making it up the advice that the intelligent people here, like me, gave him may help someone else regardless of what FD it is?
    I'm sure you're plenty smart and give some good advise and all, but you come off as a jerk to me. You started out essentially calling this lady a cry baby, which is pretty lame.

Also, if it doesn't make any difference to YOU what fire department fireunderdog is applying to, then don't ask. Short of that, I think you should quit trying to regulate the conversation.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    I'm sure you're plenty smart and give some good advise and all, but you come off as a jerk to me. You started out essentially calling this lady a cry baby, which is pretty lame.

Also, if it doesn't make any difference to YOU what fire department fireunderdog is applying to, then don't ask. Short of that, I think you should quit trying to regulate the conversation.
    Couple thoughts here:

1. I am very smart and I always give good advice.
    2. I am a jerk at times (not this time).
    3. Did you ever see one of those movies where the main character is having a meltdown and someone comes up and slaps them in the face to snap them out of it? Then the character goes on to succeed at whatever it is they were doing?
    4. It makes no difference what FD it is. None.
    5. I am the king of these forums and I will regulate the conversation as I see fit.

Forum Member

Default 6th Grade all over

O.K.....It's surprising to see individuals act like 6th graders on this forum. I think we need to move on and try to help those who need it and to those who like to intimidate "Knock it off". It's that simple.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Last edited by FIREemt7; 06-28-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by FIREemt7 View Post
    Obviously this person is not a real firefighter. He is just a kid living at home with mommy and daddy and has nothing better to do with his time then sit around and post over 10,000 times to make himself feel important. The best thing to do is ignore everything he says and he'll go away. Or he'll read this and have a hissy fit. Lets see what happens.
    Yikes!! I got my popcorn ready and my lazy boy set up =] . And by the way your new here George has been here a LONG time see what it says under his name been here since 1999. He is Very intelligent and knows a lot more than you will probably ever know. May not agree with it all the time but too bad. George has probably seen more and been through more than you will ever be through so kindly next time you type do some research about who you are talking about read their posts.

BTW George I know you don't need my backup but thought I would help out the ALL MIGHTY KING. Let him know who he is messing with a bit lol

Rob

Forum Member

Last edited by FIREemt7; 06-28-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Thread Information