Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

Forum Member

Better late than never.

Tulsa/Broken Arrow hopeful here...

Default Volunteer Firefighter

I have been searching for sometime now to join the ranks of a volunteer fire department near Tulsa. I would like to go full time but am currently pursuing an Aviation Career. I live near 61st and highway 169 and work at American Airlines at the Tulsa Intl' Airport. I am an Aircraft Mechanic with an A&P License. I have looked in to joining a volunteer fire department every since i moved to Tulsa about 4 years ago and no one seems to be taking volunteers or else they just didn't take me seriously. I am young but i am a hard worker and a "Hoss". I grew up on a farm in Texas and am no stranger to hard work and long hours where you dont get paid anything, haha (that will be funny to anyone who has ever farmed before). But anyways can someone please contact me if they know anyone who will be willing to take me on and train me. I can give you more of my info if you get with me. Please feel free to email me @ hummerduude54@yahoo.com if anyone knows of a volunteer department that is needing help.
    Thank you for taking me seriously and i hope to hear from some of you soon.

Angry Lack Of Departmental S.O.G., etc.

I am a Paid Full Time Captain here in Oklahoma. Been with the department for 20+ years. Our current Fire Chief has been in his position for 12+ years He was a driver when he was promoted to Chief. Since day one he has said that we would be getting out departmental S.O.G.’s. We are still waiting. In my 20+ years we have never had an official Department S.O. G. of any kind. This issue has been addressed with the Chief but to no avail. Some of the guy’s in the department said they want no part of any S.O.G. and they like what they have as a Chief. On several occasions we have had businesses call and ask why they have not been paid, some as late as 1 year. I have been pro change since I first became a firefighter. After this long and nothing changing for the better I am getting frustrated and asking myself why is I still here and why don’t I just retire instead of getting all worked up about all of the short comings within the department. Each Crew is run totally different. Some crews are expected to do more than others because they are willing to try to do there job. On emergency scene’s it is like a circus when all three crews are called in. Because I am vocal about changing the department, I am labeled as trouble by our Chief. Maybe he is correct but I would love to see our department move forward and become more professional. The majority of the department wants a change but few speak out. Several of the individuals come to me and vent there frustrations. We have lost several firefighters to other departments. Some left because of the pay, some left because they could not take how the department is run. I am at the point! Thanks for listening to my venting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Count me in. I know a bunch of us Okie firemen have computers and have some spare time.

gonzo03bear,

I hear you. I'm going to assume you work for a relatively small department, since you mention "all three crews" being called in. Do you have volunteers as well?

As a Captain, your thoughts on operations should count. I don't know how many levels of management are above you, but if you and some of the other Captains can get on the same page, someone has to listen. Do you have a Local?

As for the SOG thing....been there, done that. There is no excuse for not having SOGs--there are just too many resources available to assist in writing them. The operational issues are apparent--gets everyone on the same page, you can use them to teach the new guys, etc. That aside, there is a HUGE legal reason to have them....how is your department going to look if a firefighter gets injured or killed and lawsuits start flying? You can't say,"Well, we did this based on this SOG, which is based on xxxxx standard." As a Captain, how do YOU defend decisions made at an incident if things go bad? You can't fall back to policy.

And what's up with "businesses call and ask why they have not been paid, some as late as 1 year"??? Paid by whom? For what?
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Smile How to become a firefighter

I am 35 years old, and I live in Midwest City, ok. I have always wanted to either become a policeman or a firefighter. When I was young I got in some trouble, which may hurt me from becoming a policeman, but I would like info on becoming a firefighter. even though i was never convicted, and my charges have been expunged, i feel the fire department may be my only hope. I do not have a firefighter cert nor do I have my emt license. I would love to help people save lives. Watching the big fire hitting Choctaw and Midwest City tonight really hurts my heart, I feel I want to help. Needing info on the agility test also. I have been going to the gym trying to get into better shape, for I know it is a real physical job. Basically, I have worked lazy desk jobs, and I want to really pay my dues to society. If anyone has any info for me, please contact me pfgmwc@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for your info.

perry

Forum Member

Default Will a bankruptcy hurt my chances of getting hired.

Well, I am looking into enrolling in the fire academy core class offered at the tech school in Choctaw, ok. It starts in January 2010, but I am really concerned that my bankruptcy I just filed (but went through) may hurt me in getting hired. I would hate to pay the 3900 for the course, and then not have a job. Which is why I am getting out of the computer industry, go to college for years to just sit on a phone troubleshooting computer errors. I know there’s life outside of the desk. I just hope a bankruptcy wouldn’t hurt me. I talked to a fire chief, he stated “it shouldn’t hurt me”, but he wasn’t sure. So if anyone has any comments, please tell me.

Forum Member

As far as the history goes, if stuff shows up on a background check, they can use it against you. That is not to say that anyone would, but they reserve the right to not hire you for just about anything they just don't have to come out and tell you because there is no transparency in the hiring for most Depts. As some more people i.e. human resources personnel and people that are involved in the hiring processes in some depts and see what they say about your specific issue.

As for the issue of wasting you money, money is never wasted on education in my opinion! =) I am in Mustang and am familiar with the program at Choctaw and I don't know what anyone has told you so far but whatever the class/degree/certification you have there is NO guarantee of employment afterwords.

For places like Tulsa, OKC, Edmond and Norman there is no prerequisite other than a GED/High school diploma to apply. Prefercence will be given to Paramedics and usually also to veterans. So if you are wanting to get on with one of those depts you do not need to go to Choctaw for the academy program.

There is a hiring pool through EOC tech in Choctaw that is used by several smaller depts in the area including Mustang, Yukon Midwest City (could be wrong) and several others. All you need to do there is pay the fee, study the material, take the written exam and CPAT (physical test) and wait for a call from a dept. It is very competitive and the list can be long so you must score very well on both sections to have a shot. Plus, the depts have to be hiring for the length of time your scores are good for (I think 1 year, but again I could be wrong).

Talk to someone at EOC about taking the tests as that may be what you're looking for instead of dropping $3900.00 and not having a Paramedic at the end of the day which will help you more than an associates anyway.

Just a thought. Good luck!

To clarify some of AXLE304E's information. Norman does require at least 30 hours of college credit to be hired, but as far as the other big ones, I haven't heard any those requiring that.
    Education wise, I think it'd be smart to go through EMT type schooling rather than FF1. Reason being, a lot of departments will put you through the academy once you're hired, but only put you through EMT-basic if you don't already have it. If you already have your EMT-B, I, or P, it'll look better, in my opinion, than having FF1. Plus, I've heard that OKC is trying to stay away from people who don't even have EMT-B because in years past, candidates have had trouble with going through the academy and trying to get EMT-B at the same time.
    Fitness, just make sure you've got good stamina. When I went through the CPAT I found out that it's more demanding on cardio than strength. So make sure you run, but still be able to throw weight around. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default this might help

Quote Originally Posted by pfg777 View Post
    I am 35 years old, and I live in Midwest City, ok. I have always wanted to either become a policeman or a firefighter. When I was young I got in some trouble, which may hurt me from becoming a policeman, but I would like info on becoming a firefighter. even though i was never convicted, and my charges have been expunged, i feel the fire department may be my only hope. I do not have a firefighter cert nor do I have my emt license. I would love to help people save lives. Watching the big fire hitting Choctaw and Midwest City tonight really hurts my heart, I feel I want to help. Needing info on the agility test also. I have been going to the gym trying to get into better shape, for I know it is a real physical job. Basically, I have worked lazy desk jobs, and I want to really pay my dues to society. If anyone has any info for me, please contact me pfgmwc@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for your info.

perry
    I know choctaw is a voll dept so ask there fire chief what it takes to join

Thread Information