MembersZone Subscriber

Default Weight Training and Loosing Weight

Since i started Medic school last fal I have not had enoug time to hit the gym like I was before. I was going 5 days a week, but I am lucky if I can get in there 3 days a week now. I was wondering if what would be better to loose weight. Would circuit training be better at cutting the fat or would just regular specific body parts on certain days be just as good? Would I need to do more cardio and less weight training to drop the weight? i normally do about 20 - 30 mins of cardio and it varies what I use. I need to drop about 20lbs more then I will be at my goal weight. I know eating right plays a big factor in this, and I really do eat healthy and drink plenty of water.

Any comments are appreciated and helpfull. Thank you.

Forum Member

Burning more calories than you consume = weight loss.

Eat lots of protien and vegetables and increase your cardio. Don't stop lifting but get yourself on the treadmill.
    Don't eat late at night, don't skip breakfast and cut way down on the starch (bread, potatoes mostly).

Sounds simple because it is. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

All of the above, plus do your weights before cardio... get your protein in afterwards... TRAIN YOUR LEGS (many guys simply don't)...

Take a look at the P90X series videos- guys I work with are raving about it and most of the people I talk to from combat challenge circles are looking at it or actually using it as well. From beginner to advanced. Crossfit is another good one to look up to keep your training condensed yet still effective.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

"Burning more calories than you consume = weight loss."

Thant is what do you need, but you need a strategy for that:
    - Calculate your BMI to check if you are in the over weight or obese category
    - Then you need to know your BMR (basal metabolic rate), to lose 1 pound/week you need to eat 500 calories/day less that your BMR

P.S. Big Mac from MC is 1000 calories (not the combo)
    Last edited by newjersey; 07-08-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley6485 View Post
    Since i started Medic school last fal I have not had enoug time to hit the gym like I was before. I was going 5 days a week, but I am lucky if I can get in there 3 days a week now. I was wondering if what would be better to loose weight. Would circuit training be better at cutting the fat or would just regular specific body parts on certain days be just as good? Would I need to do more cardio and less weight training to drop the weight? i normally do about 20 - 30 mins of cardio and it varies what I use. I need to drop about 20lbs more then I will be at my goal weight. I know eating right plays a big factor in this, and I really do eat healthy and drink plenty of water.

Any comments are appreciated and helpfull. Thank you.

I agree with both of the other guys. You can't stop lifting, you would lose a lot of what you already worked for. If by circuit training you mean dropping weight and doing more reps, than yes it will tone you up more. Doing specific body part on certain days will help you get mass and stregth. But dropping the weight will help keep your strength that you have and cut you up more. And not eating to try to lose weight won't help. You gotta eat, and like you said you were doing, the right foods. Go to a local supplement store like GNC or whatever and get some fat burning pills. There is also some proteins that will help with burning a little fat to.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

i was in your same shoes about a year ago i weighed around 330 and started working out 3 days a week , and walking at least 2 miles every other night. i went to gnc, and got started on a pill called burn 60 its made by gnc i highly recommend it. its a weight loss pill, it says on the bottle that it will increase your metabolism by i think 60%. its not as bad as hydroxycut. i never felt dizzy or light headed while taking burn 60. i took it for about a year and lost over 85lbs. this past year i started dating an athletic trainer, and she wanted me to get off it so i did and in away im glad ive been saving some money. but none the less everyone is right a little bit of cardio, some weight lifting , and really watch what you eat , i eat a lot of veggies and fruit , and try to eat a lot of protein on my work out days but mix it up give your body a shock switch it up. most of all cut out fast food that should help too. i lost well over 100lbs and i just keep going for the goal of weight loss and trying to make my dream of being a carrer ff true.hope this helps.

jordan
    Last edited by Trackhoe71; 07-07-2008 at 12:08 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Be careful using the BMI as an indicator... I'm 5'9.5 and 215 at around 10% body fat (maybe a shade more haha)... and it says I'm grossly obsese! Lovely... fortunately, that means I can eat all the chocolate cake I want!

Just be aware not to base your results on BMI. As you muscle up a bit, it'll start giving wonky readings.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    HESD / OFD

Forum Member

www.Crossfit.com awesome work out and 3days a week is plenty. You will notice results. I would venture to say almost 50% of our department is doing this type of exercise.
    JG
    PTB-EGH
    "Train Like Your Life Depends on It B/C It Does"
    9-11-01, 06-18-07, and all those who have given the extreme sacrifice RFB.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info all on everything. Today is the day I start CF. Going to start it and start eating better and see how it goes. Thanks all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    HESD / OFD

Thread Information