Forum Member

Talking How to Break through on my running?

So my question is how to break through on my runs. I still have to walk some, and I want to be able to cut that out.

Here is where I am now. Tonight I did two and a half miles. I actually timed the first two and I did them in 19 minutes. I am pretty happy with the time but I still walked probably 6-8 times during that time. I will not let myself walk more than 30 steps before I start running again. So it is not like I am walking a lot or getting a lot of recovery during those 30 steps. It is almost like it is a mental thing.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Forum Member

Try getting a running partner. Running with someone is very helpful in the mental aspect of things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Try getting a running partner. Running with someone is very helpful in the mental aspect of things.
    Another addition is to find some sort of cadence or tune to repeat (in step with your feet hitting the ground) that will keep your mind focused and your feet stomping forward.

Example:

Marine Corps Cadence = "1..2..3..4.. I Love Marine Corps."

Notice each word/number spoken will go evenly with your running. Works for me.

Forum Member

Default Increase your distance and lower your per mile pace.

I found this on Fort Worth's website.

http://www.fortworthgov.org/fire/inf....aspx?id=21928

Scroll down to "SCHEDULE FOR GROUP RUNS." This is an example of what all the F.W.F.D. trainees must maintain while in the academy. From the looks of their group runs, the trainess run 5 days a week. In T.C.C.'s fire academy, we run about two mornings a week. We also hit the weight room once a week for circuit training (anarobic). I strength train on my own time Mon-Fri. evenings. I started on this running routine about 5 weeks before the fire academy began. I am now in Week 5 in the fire academy and here is what my 1.5 mile times have been:

Week 1- 12:36
    Week 2- 12:22
    Week 3- 11:54
    Week 4- 11:39
    Week 5- 11:15

I was hoping that the distance portion would increase so I could see if I could maintain my running pace, but I guess I'll have to wait until F.W.F.D.'s academy! F.W.F.D running program's 0.25 mile increases combined with the per mile pace becoming 30 seconds faster each week helped me to run farther, while still being able to maintain a constant pace for the entire run. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by pewter98; 07-05-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Forum Member

Default Thanks all for the great advice

I did a run a couple days ago and got throught the first mile+ without breaking stride so I am hopefull that I am breaking through. Its crazy really b/c its not a cardio thing. I go out on my bike and do a 30 mile ride in 90 mins.
    I am only concerned that it will be harder when I have no music in my ears and can hear myself breathing. Oh well I am constantly improving. Thanks again for all the advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you tried hill runs/sprints? They work great for me. Lactate threshold training for your legs should help a great deal, also.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help, I am clicking 3 miles under 30 mins now!!! It seems like I need to go further to make it easier. When I was having trouble with one mile I started pushing toward two and one got easy...three made 2 easy, I guess now its 4 miles huh?...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    Thanks for all the help, I am clicking 3 miles under 30 mins now!!! It seems like I need to go further to make it easier. When I was having trouble with one mile I started pushing toward two and one got easy...three made 2 easy, I guess now its 4 miles huh?...
    break on through to the other side, like jim morrison would say. i run 3.2 miles in 23 minutes 13 seconds (some of it is uphill, some is flat). but, throughout the week the time is more, but i also workout after running too, so i brush it off to fatigue. i rest saturday and sunday and try to beat my record on monday, which i usually do. all you can do is push yourself. if it doesn't kill you it will only make you stronger. work on your breath control and you will be running the 5 minute mile in no time (at least that is my goal, yet to be attained). break your record one day and then pace yourself the rest of the week. also, try sprinting the last 100 yards or so every time. also work on your conditioning outside of running. i do burpees for 30 seconds, then jumping jacks for 30 seconds, then split jumps for 30 seconds, then burpees for 30 seconds , then jumping jacks for 30 seconds, then bodyweight squats for 30 seconds with no rest between exercises as 1 circuit. i rest for 30-45 seconds then complete the whole circuit again alternating the squats for push-ups every other time. do 4 circuits of that and it will help your conditioning.

Forum Member

If no partner, having music helps (me at least), but the #1 thing that has helped me is synchronizing my breathing and my footsteps. 1 inhale every 2 steps, 1 exhale every 2. Your body usually stops itself if it goes off balance, like you miss a breath for example. Just my 2 cents

Forum Member

Marathoner here!

A partner is the best strategy, but it's not always realistic. It's one I get to employ once a week if I'm lucky. All of the advice here is very good. I would also suggest doing different types of runs on different days. For example, do your 30 minute 3 miler one day and follow that up two days later with a slower paced 5-miler. Instead of walking, just try going at an easier pace. You may not make it the whole way the first time, but you probably will the second time and that will be a huge achievement mentally. Also try doing short and easy runs on back to back days. Make sure your long runs have a rest day both before and after.

A good method for getting your pace up on distance runs is to just do more distance runs. Trying to run faster will just wear you out both mentally and physically and you're likely to get frustrated. Your pace will naturally quicken as your body adapts to running so just take in the scenery (avoid treadmills) and try to really enjoy your runs. If you're body hurts the next day, let yourself recover before you go out again.

Hope that helps!

Thread Information