Forum Member

I was told during a training session one night that straight streams are the ones to use no matter what. However, if you get into a room with lots of smoke, spray at a window and widen it up until you hit all the edges.. And that would clear it out pretty quickly.

I would assume this is true, but I can't remember the exact details on it, but I believe this was it.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Natatha View Post
    I was told during a training session one night that straight streams are the ones to use no matter what. However, if you get into a room with lots of smoke, spray at a window and widen it up until you hit all the edges.. And that would clear it out pretty quickly.

I would assume this is true, but I can't remember the exact details on it, but I believe this was it.
    Briefly, VERY BRIEFLY sweep the ceiling with your straight stream to cool the overhead. A second or two is enough. Bring that stream down into the heart of the fire. Use the stream to ventilate. If you can't see the window use the straight stream to find it by working the stream across the wall until you hear the sound difference. If the window is already gone the stream will not make the sound of the water hitting something. Now if the window is still there maybe you can blow it out with the stream OR you will have to advance and break it out. If the outside vent crew hasn't done it by now. The fog pattern should just fit inside the window opening. the stream creates a venturi type effect and sucks the smoke out with the water pattern. Very effectivve in one room fires.

Thread Information