MembersZone Subscriber

Default Deleted thread.

Deleted thread.
    Last edited by simsride; 08-30-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Information is no longer applicable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Hey there- I just spec'd out an equipment sheet for our quint... which to be honest was mostly taken from the NFPA 1901 current revision (probably the 2003 for your truck if it's being ordered this year).

Just google search nfpa 1901 and you can go view the document with a "reader" that will allow you to view it, though not save it. I just screenshot the page with the pertinent information on there (it has all requirements for all apparatus).

That is a good place to start. We just bought a Rosey Quint back home, same single axle 75'... Not bad for storage but nothing like what you'd have if you didn't have to worry about the pump, and a water tank.

Worry about pricing out the NEED to haves as per NFPA- then look into the "NICE" to haves.

This is the equipment list I submitted. Unfortunately it's an excel document and doesn't transfer well. A couple of items here are in fact "either or" so if you see some duplicates, that's probably why. Price is always a factor and different distributors obviously deal in different equipment in some areas. Also, this is for a tandem axle... somewhat larger- but should still fall in about the same equipment requirements. In some areas... some details on 1.5" - 2.5" are left out- but the need for those adapters is covered in more detail in the code.

Equipment Qty
    5" LDH Rubber 1000ft (10X100ft)
    44 Future Line 600ft (12x50ft)
    44 NAFH 600 600ft (12x50ft)
    3" NAFH 600 600ft (12x50ft)
    2.5" Future Line 600ft (12x50ft)
    Stortz Truck adaptors TBD
    Saberjet 2
    Turbojet 1720 2
    65mm Playpipe / tips 1
    65-38mm gated wye 1
    Hydrant Gate AMA 1
    6lb flathead axe 2
    6lb pickhead axe 1
    TIC 1
    Irons (Axe/Hooligan/Strap) 1
    Hooligan (only) 1
    Crowbar 1
    6ft pike pole (D) 2
    8ft pike pole (D) 2
    10ft pike pole (D) 2
    Portable light 2
    CO2 Extingusher 15lb 1
    Dry Chem 80ABC 1
    Water Extinguisher 2.5gal 1
    Combination Spanner 2 (4 spanners)
    Hydrant Wrench 2
    Double Female 2
    Double Male 2
    Rubber Mallet 1
    Salvage covers 4
    Ladder Belts 4

You'll notice in the NFPA 1901 standard that an actual ladder truck has much, much more entry / related gear than a quint. Don't try to cram all that in there or, as one guy said here at an earlier time, you'll have a bloated white elephant on your hands.

I won't comment on the 75' thing... although I'm sure a few people's kit list will include an extra 25'.

Let me know if I can be more help.
    Last edited by Eno821302; 07-07-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: and furthermore...
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

Forum Member

Wouldn't your response area, manpower, training, riding assignments and operating procedures dictate what you carry and where you carry it better than strangers on an internet forum??

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Jakes... Do you just roll around the forums sniping at people? Holy crap dude, how about you go flush your grouchy pills down the toilet.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    HESD / OFD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eno821302 View Post
    Hey Jakes... Do you just roll around the forums sniping at people? Holy crap dude, how about you go flush your grouchy pills down the toilet.
    I posted a legitimate question. Do I have to ask your permission first before I do that?

Forum Member

Default equipment for quint

We just went through this at my house. Make sure you follow NFPA 1901.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

MembersZone Subscriber

I am with Jakesdad on this, I just did this for my own dept. The ISO and NFPA lists are a good guide but contain alot of unnecessary stuff. You have to
    The first question you need to address is, are you going to use this as a first due "quint" (ie. in lieu of a pumper) or as a ladder that happens to have a pump? This will set the tone for the rest of the planning and equipment purchases. Our's operates as a ladder truck, responding after a pumper has responded and does not carry anywhere near the amount of junk on those lists.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

You can also totally disregard all other NFPA lists as there is absolutely no liability involved in the event of litigation resulting from the call the apparatus is on. Nobody gets sued anymore for any reason and besides, fire departments get blank cheque authorizations to have all the money in the world if they need it.

Respond in a pump alone if you want, test your hose to 4000 kpa for 50 minutes and stand right over it while you do it... Most of it is useless garbage anyway...

I don't know- sure there are a few items on there that take up about 4 square inches that you might never need- and a couple of nozzles that you MIGHT not use... a couple hundred feet of hose you might never take off the truck except for testing... but it's not like you're towing a trailer of useless equipment around.

I'd take a hard look on making sure it's compliant with the minimum's required by the NFPA and then fill in the gaps. When the lawyers come looking, the first place they look is at the Fire Department because "the cities have lots of money." If they're spending millions as a result of a lack of due dilligence, fingers are going to be pointing down the line and the first person who hasn't got some official standard behind their actions are going to wear it.

Like I said- you can disregard the standards if you want... say, in JFTL's case perhaps it's in their SOGs that the apparatus will only be operated as a ladder truck maybe you could skim on the hose / adapter / nozzle requirements... but why would you bother getting a quint if that's all it was going to do? Might as well save your money and get a purpose built ladder.

If it's a Quint "just in case" it is expected to stand to on its own call in the event it is required on a second fire / scene... then better start reverting back to that standard again, because you're going to need that spare kit- maybe. Frankly, I'm hard pressed to find anything in the minimum standard that, for a quint, would be considered "a lot of unecessary stuff."
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    HESD / OFD

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    Wouldn't your response area, manpower, training, riding assignments and operating procedures dictate what you carry and where you carry it better than strangers on an internet forum??
    Quite a leap you are taking to assume they haven't done that already. He made it clear that this is part of their research. Your question came across as pretty arrogant and certainly condescending.

To the OP:
    I don't have our equiment list, but you are doing this the correct way. Research all you can, and definitly look at the NFPA list to be sure to cover the required elements (ladder belts, etc).
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Quite a leap you are taking to assume they haven't done that already. He made it clear that this is part of their research. Your question came across as pretty arrogant and certainly condescending.

To the OP:
    I don't have our equiment list, but you are doing this the correct way. Research all you can, and definitly look at the NFPA list to be sure to cover the required elements (ladder belts, etc).
    Same leap you are taking to assume they have.

Honestly KN, do you just search for my posts just so you can chime in and reprimand me for something I have said?

And quiet honestly... my question was completely legitimate. Would it not be better to base your setup and equipment based on your needs, response area, training and manpower?

MembersZone Subscriber

I apologize if I was unclear in my OP. We have the NFPA list of items and have a good idea of the things we plan to carry. We are just looking for different ideas, things that may have gotten overlooked and how to best utilize the space we're given. In other words we want to fit 10lbs into a 5lbs. bag and are looking for ideas to help us do that better.

Forum Member

Same leap you are taking to assume they have.

Honestly KN, do you just search for my posts just so you can chime in and reprimand me for something I have said?

And quiet honestly... my question was completely legitimate. Would it not be better to base your setup and equipment based on your needs, response area, training and manpower?
    There's no reason to reinvent the wheel...what works for one department might work for another. To think that the OP does not recognize the ideas you have mentioned is ludicrous. I see nothing wrong with trying to find some new ideas to help store more items more efficiently.

You might consider putting the combi tool in the front bumper can save some serious compartment space and there might still be some room for a preconnect. Maybe a suction too if it can be fit. Bear in mind that there are other options for wheel-well storage besides 4 airbottles. Some manufactures can fit a more than that, or make space for airbags there if that's what you want. If you get an extended (say a Spartan MFD), you can put a transverse compartment below the rear seat boxes that could hold the most frequently used tools (see pic).

pic from Firehouse America
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by skipatrol8; 07-08-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Back In Black

Yea, just like the rest of the world, it all revolves around you.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Yea, just like the rest of the world, it all revolves around you.
    Now you are getting it!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eno821302 View Post
    You'll notice in the NFPA 1901 standard that an actual ladder truck has much, much more entry / related gear than a quint. Don't try to cram all that in there or, as one guy said here at an earlier time, you'll have a bloated white elephant on your hands.

I won't comment on the 75' thing... although I'm sure a few people's kit list will include an extra 25'.
    Partner, You are right about not loading the truck down with nice to haves first. The minimum requirements take up a ton a space. You can put all the Ariel truck requirements on a quint if you have that extra 25'. in our case it's an extra 35'. We got the 1901 list plus Hurst extrication tools. 32B spreader, 90 cutter, long and medium length ram. and Power unit. Ironically enough we got one compartment that is totally empty
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Thread Information