Forum Member

Default ProBoard Certifications and Ohio

So I have a quick question for anyone that knows. I have my EMT-B and Firefighter 1 (200hrs) from the state of Virginia and am applying to localities in Ohio. I looked online and see that Ohio is not a ProBoard accredited state and was wondering typically what you have to do in order to get the cert valid in Ohio. The EMT-B I can just take the NR-EMT test and Ohio will accept that but I haven't been able to find anything online regarding Firefighter certs transferring. Anyone with any info let me know. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    So I have a quick question for anyone that knows. I have my EMT-B and Firefighter 1 (200hrs) from the state of Virginia and am applying to localities in Ohio. I looked online and see that Ohio is not a ProBoard accredited state and was wondering typically what you have to do in order to get the cert valid in Ohio. The EMT-B I can just take the NR-EMT test and Ohio will accept that but I haven't been able to find anything online regarding Firefighter certs transferring. Anyone with any info let me know. Thanks!
    You would have to call ODPS and find out...... I know in the past they accepted some but not others, then supposedly they didn't accept anything..... That was quite a while ago, though...... I think they accept some, but not sure what......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

If your state is accredited, you may be in luck. There have been some changes at the state and they even allow us to challenge an accreditation test if we are leaving Ohio. Call the State EMS office, they handle fire as well, (800) 233-0785 .
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thanks...I'll give them a call tomorrow. So if they accept them, it's valid for any jurisdiction in the state then? For example the state wouldn't say they were ok and then Cleveland FD wouldn't accept them.

Forum Member

A major city like Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, etc. will make you go through their respective academy even if you are certified. Other than that, a state card is a state card.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

In Ohio you can't work full time on firefighter I and 200 hours won't equate to firefighter II because you are short 40 hours. I had the 36 hour card many moons ago and the only way I could transfer an 80 hour firefighter I (IFSAC accredited) course was to call it a 'transition' course.

In short, it will work, but will only equate to firefighter I. There's a lot of paperwork and it's available on the internet.

http://www.ems.ohio.gov/Forms/firefi...s%20packet.htm

This is the equivalency packet. Fill it out completely and return it to the state. It will take a few weeks, but in government, what doesn't?

Forum Member

The big 4(cincy, columbus, toledo, cleveland) all make you go through their fire academy. Even if you where a chief with 20 years on you would be heading to the academy. I came on with 2 guys that had 15 years on other places and they still where "nothing" still had to sit for fire test at end of school also.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I am in a similar situation transferring my VA FF1, FF2 to get Ohio reciprocity or Ohio equivalent FF1, FF2. Virginias hours are a bit short of Ohios though. You need to get approval. I went to http://ems.ohio.gov/ems.asp and printed up the appropriate paperwork, then sent it to Virgina Dept. of Fire Programs as the paperwork stated. They (vdfp) have to approve your training hours and certifications, then everything needs to be sent back to ohio.gov/ems. Call the phone numbers from the websites for additional info.

I DID receive my Ohio reciprocity from VA

good luck, I would eventually like to make it back to Ohio too.

Thread Information