Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default uniform allowance

Did anyone receive their $1600 uniform allowance yet? If not, does anyone know when? DoD said it was effective june 28, 2008.

Survive,

Hereís what I know about this, which is what I was told by my fire chief. The INITIAL allowance for a new hire is up to $1600. That means that if your department doesnít require you to have Class Aís you might not be entitled to that much money. If you are already working for the department, your uniform allowance is going up to $800 per year. Supposedly it is up to each major command to fund all of this. In my department we were told that a new Class A uniform would be required, and a new SOP for it implemented. We would be given one year to purchase this new uniform utilizing our $800. My issue with that is that the Class Aís they are going to require me to purchase cost about $550. That will leave about $250 for the year for maintenance of my other uniforms; duty and pt. We all know that our uniform allowance was antiquated and has been for several years, that is why they increased it. A job shirt is right around $50 and embroidery to department SOP costs another $30. A pair of duty pants is about $50 and that is for non-compliant pants. I have heard rumors about DOD requiring all compliant uniforms. That will make a pair of pants cost $90 or more. I am not saying we should or should not have compliant uniforms, just that things are expensive. I know thatís why they upped the allowance. Anyone out there hear anything different?

Forum Member

That is correct about the $800 uniform allowance a year (jumping up from $400 a year). We have it worked out that we get the lump sum at the end of the year instead quartley.

Also our class "B" uniforms are nomex. So the shirt and pants are $100 a pop each. Our class "A" uniform ran around $600 -/+...

Luckly a local vendor that we purchase through for our t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, sweats shorts, etc.... is very reasonable in price.

We also get a yearly station & wildland boots allowance if needed replacement.
    Last edited by engineer2000; 07-10-2008 at 02:20 PM.

You mean you guys actually use your uniform allowance to buy UNIFORMS?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Wink

thanx for the info guys. My department is requiring for us to have both class "A" and nomex class "B" uniforms which will exceed the $800 a year, so I hope we qualify for the initial $1600. Thanx again guys

Forum Member

It's up to each BRANCH to determine if they want to meet the new maximum of $800, Don't have to though

Navy and Marine Corps haven't done it yet. Some Commands may read the regs differently, but the Federal Register published article read that each branch of the servvice could or could not implement the change of they wanted to. Engineer 2000 got his cause I think he is hmmmm...errrrr Coast Guard maybe?
    Last edited by devildog4; 07-11-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Thread Information