MembersZone Subscriber

Default Texas Flashover Video! Raw Footage!

This is from Paris, Texas. 1 Firefighter was injured when a flashover occured on the 2nd Floor.

Click the Link below to go directly to the full story and video:
    http://www.thebravestonline.com/news...view=1&id=6638

Forum Member

"Holy ****" pretty much sums it up. Wow.

You could see some very minor indications of a possible expansion, but nothing to that extent. I don't see how anyone could be prepared for that. Glad that no one died.

Forum Member

From the video, it looks like command had his/her firefighters' back on this one. If you notice long before the explosion, that the firefighters were hitting this from across the street. If they had been closer, the outcome may have been different. Stay safe out there.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

That was not a flashover. There is very little overpressure when there is a flashover. Certainly not enough to destroy the building. That was either an explosion of some material inside the building or a backdraft.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think someone should have checked the firefighters' gear for turds cause I know that would made me push a deuce if i wasn't expecting that....lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

I going to say Backdraft, but could've easliy been an explosion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire stem to stern, with every opening venting fire, I gotta go with explosion of some sort.

Forum Member

No mayday, no roll call. Lucky no one was hurt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im surprised the camera man kept somewhat steady hand through all of that lol
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

"Holy $hit" does sum it up. Uff Da!

Man, I think I would have downloaded in my pants after that one. That's a backdraft just like the movies. (headline even says it's a backdraft)

Thank God no one was seriously injured or killed.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    "Holy $hit" does sum it up. Uff Da!

Man, I think I would have downloaded in my pants after that one. That's a backdraft just like the movies. (headline even says it's a backdraft)

Thank God no one was seriously injured or killed.
    whatever it was. good call by the ic having everyone so far away for the jus in case. still tink i would of had to wash my gear after though

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    That was not a flashover. There is very little overpressure when there is a flashover. Certainly not enough to destroy the building. That was either an explosion of some material inside the building or a backdraft.
    Glad you pointed that out... I was having doubts, but wasn't sure as i've never seen a backdraft.

The gent taking the video summed it up best.

"HOLY #$%@"

First you say it, then you do it!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

What could have caused that?
    It doesn't look like any of the building was still standing.
    Anyone have any ideas as to what would have caused a building to do that?

Forum Member

I'm gonna have to go with an explosion of some sort of material that was inside the building.

Conditions just don't appear to be such that a backdraft of that magnitude could/would occur at that stage of the fire. There was considerable fire throughout which indicates to me that there was a decent supply of O2 to the fire, not to mention the numerous vented openings on both floors.

It also appears that the explosion originated on the lower floor, bringing the second floor down as a result of both the initial blast as well as the already weakened structure due to its heavy fire involvement.

I wouldn't think that a few rooms, even providing all conditions were ideal, would backdraft with enough intensity to level the entire building.

I have been wrong before, though.

Either way, I'm glad there were no injuries.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Photobucket

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I'm gonna have to go with an explosion of some sort of material that was inside the building.

Conditions just don't appear to be such that a backdraft of that magnitude could/would occur at that stage of the fire. There was considerable fire throughout which indicates to me that there was a decent supply of O2 to the fire, not to mention the numerous vented openings on both floors.

It also appears that the explosion originated on the lower floor, bringing the second floor down as a result of both the initial blast as well as the already weakened structure due to its heavy fire involvement.

I wouldn't think that a few rooms, even providing all conditions were ideal, would backdraft with enough intensity to level the entire building.

I have been wrong before, though.

Either way, I'm glad there were no injuries.
    I'm torn between the two explanations (and the only way to know for sure would have been a fairly extensive investigation) and here's why.

What says backdraft to me is the massive amount of smoke emanating from the building that lifts and kind of lights up just prior to the blast. What says material related explosion to me is the sheer power of the blast and the amount of fire that is visible in the cloud immediately following the blast.

The caption on BOL also calls it a backdraft.

I've investigated backdrafts that caused significant physical damage, but none of the magnitude of this incident.

One thing to remember about a backdraft is that it does not have to occur within the whole beuilding. It can occur in one compartment of the building, like the basement.

One thing for sure, the thing wasn't a flashover and it didn't happen on the second floor.

Forum Member

Not knowing what type of occupancy it is, I do not like to speculate. However, smoke explosion anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

The explosion happened aprox 30-45 mins into the incident. There still hasn't been a determination of what "it" was. I will say that it wasn't a flashover. Upon our arrival it was well involved, so from the first arriving unit it was defensive. Just to give you an idea of the force generated by the pressure of whatever happened it threw the firefighters back on to the sidewalk. Additionally there was damage to buildings across the street and down the block. It was very powerful to say the least.

Forum Member

Looks to me that prior to the explosion, the A/B steet level and 2nd floor looks to be showing pre-flashover signs. Theres thick dark smoke pushing from all the windows, and you can see that theres alot of little pieces of rollover shooting out the windows so it's trying to light up, but doesnt have the correct O2 mix. The first and 2nd floor rooms on this A/B corner were definitely not flashed yet.

Definitely doesnt look like a backdraft to me. If I had to take a guess at what happened, it looks to me like the street level and 2nd floor began to flash over, and when it did the heat that was put out by the rooms flashing came in contact with some kind of explosive material inside the building and that this was a material explosion caused by a flashover.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Im with George, this wasnt a flashover.

Backdraft? Never say never, but that doesn't really fit either. Hard to say for sure looking from one angle and without seeing what the scene looks like post fire.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Here some occupancy information, the building was built around 1895-1905 somewhere in there. Obvious heavy timber construction (with some steel reinforcement), the 1st floor had been vacant for awhile, the 2nd floor there were 2 loft apartments, 1 was occupied. When the explosion happened over half of the roof was already gone. The fire is still under investigation obviously and probally will be for some time. There were some sounds and other things that make us think there was some type of BLEVE or possibly a cylinder with a faulty pressure felief valve. Now my turn for some questions, have any of you witnessed anything like this personally and if you have what did you come up with as far as cause of the explosion? Trust me we want this to be a learning experience. Additionally there was a par taken immediatley after this and we did have one call for a firefighter down but it ended up being minor injuries.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want a view of it post fire there are some videos that show on youtube of us mopping up. I have also attached a picture of the building. The picture is actually from the opposite side of where the explosion occured and the side where the fire started.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman9621 View Post
    Here some occupancy information, the building was built around 1895-1905 somewhere in there. Obvious heavy timber construction (with some steel reinforcement), the 1st floor had been vacant for awhile, the 2nd floor there were 2 loft apartments, 1 was occupied. When the explosion happened over half of the roof was already gone. The fire is still under investigation obviously and probally will be for some time. There were some sounds and other things that make us think there was some type of BLEVE or possibly a cylinder with a faulty pressure felief valve. Now my turn for some questions, have any of you witnessed anything like this personally and if you have what did you come up with as far as cause of the explosion? Trust me we want this to be a learning experience. Additionally there was a par taken immediatley after this and we did have one call for a firefighter down but it ended up being minor injuries.
    I witnessed and investigated a fire where there was an explosion 15 mins. into the fire. It blew off part of the roof and blew the B side wall out. Reconstruction of the incident revealed the explosion was directly correlated to the opening of a rear door. FIre was in the basement of a three story taxpayer. Common basement. Cause was determined to be a backdraft.

Two more things to look for in a backdraft.

1. You can usually correlate to somebody opening something low
    2. You usually will have this disgusting looking post backdraft greenish, brownish smoke if it wasn't consumed in the explosion.

Also, you have to remember, there is virtually no overpressure in a flashover.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman9621 View Post
    The explosion happened aprox 30-45 mins into the incident. There still hasn't been a determination of what "it" was. I will say that it wasn't a flashover. Upon our arrival it was well involved, so from the first arriving unit it was defensive. Just to give you an idea of the force generated by the pressure of whatever happened it threw the firefighters back on to the sidewalk. Additionally there was damage to buildings across the street and down the block. It was very powerful to say the least.
    Since you're apparently familiar with this incident, I have a couple questions (and no, I'm not being critical of your operations, just curious).

On the left side of the video, there's an elevated line of some kind. Is that a crew on the roof of the neighboring building or a ladder/platform? It almost looks like a fog line of some sort, as the stream looks to be breaking up before it gets to the fire.

It looks like there's only one or two lines putting water on this building. Are there more hidden from camera view? To be honest, it looks like you guys were outgunned, big time. The one line I can see to the right side of the video almost looks like a 2 1/2" line as opposed to a master stream.

Did you guys have a pre-plan for this building?

As far as the explosion, I tend to agree with those thinking that it's some kind of material inside. I'm half curious if natural gas may have accumulated in an uninvolved/lesser-involved compartment inside the building (basement, office,...) and lit off.

I'd be curious to know what kind of businesses were in there and what kind of materials they may have stored.

One thing's for sure, you guys apparently did a good job keeping people out of the collapse zone, keeping anyone from getting hurt worse than they did.

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem with the questions, this is our 2nd due district and we got there about the same time as the first due engine. We had either 5 or 6 2 1/2 lines on the ground, 2 deck guns, 1 ground monitor and 1 aerial device. As far the guys on the roof it was either a deckgun or the aerial device. The building had been preplanned but sometime ago I THINK?. It used to be a furniture store but im not sure as to what the last occupancy was.

Thread Information