MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bail Out/ Self Rescue Techniques

I am looking for a specific technique for emergency bail-out of a 2nd+ floor. I know there are tons of youtube videos using descenders and belts, but I know there are techniques out there for emergencies. I have heard of and seen a technique using just the rope around your leg/waist and/or with a caribiner. I have a Crosby hook attached to a bailout bag of 50ft of 8mm rescue rope. Any help or resources would be great. Thanks!

Forum Member

I am not trying to undercut your question, but in a second floor bailout, why wouldn't there be a ladder in place for a ladder self rescue? Just wondering....

Does your department run RIT/RAT companies?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I am not trying to undercut your question, but in a second floor bailout, why wouldn't there be a ladder in place for a ladder self rescue? Just wondering....

We of course would provide for 2nd egress, but in a situation where you weren't in the room with the ladder below and you were getting near a flash over or where a ladder hadn't yet been placed due to response times of 2nd/3rd in companies I want a second option for self rescue for self repel/lower just in case things go south.

And yes we always have RIT established as a high priority, but sometimes RIT can't enter if flashover conditions are present or you don't have time to wait for them to find you.

Forum Member

2nd floor im going to hang and let go. If its that bad you need to bail, you have no choice. Neighbor had to do it, but he waited till his can man and irons made it out first, they were fine, he ended up with a broken wrist, 30 staples in his head and his LIFE. The SCBA makes you extremely top heavy so youre going to go down head first no matter how you fall. His jump was about 2 stories. It happened so fast he said he had to make a choice or burn up!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterMV View Post
    I am looking for a specific technique for emergency bail-out of a 2nd+ floor. I know there are tons of youtube videos using descenders and belts, but I know there are techniques out there for emergencies. I have heard of and seen a technique using just the rope around your leg/waist and/or with a caribiner. I have a Crosby hook attached to a bailout bag of 50ft of 8mm rescue rope. Any help or resources would be great. Thanks!
    First, obviously you know that any bailout situation is an emergency. As far as what you are talking about though, here are a couple of down and diryt suggestions. This is by no means the preferred method and needs to be trained on prior to use. Always use a belay line when training as well. The being said, you can wrap the rope under your pack or even just your arms across your back and then hold both ends of the rope in front of you. The pack and your back will act as your friction device. This is a very dangerous method since you have no way of controlling and out of control descent. This is just one way to try to save yourself. You can get a hraness for your gear for about $120 that would greatly improve your safety along with a descender.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

When it hits the fan you have no time to remove your pss. Just ask the Lt that had to jump. I asked him about his pss, he said he had no time. He worked in a busy company in the South Bronx, he was no stranger to fire. The two guys bailed then he went. The pss will be used when your egress is cut off, not when you have to get the F$%k out like yesterday!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post

because ladders aren't always at the exact window you need it to be.

I'll admit I've never had to use the rope to bailout, but we've done a good amount of training with it. You can control your descent. You can even stop your descent. I was able to stop and hang for a few minutes. It wasn't fun and I wouldn't look forward to doing it, but it can be done. Its all about grip strength. If you were on the 3rd or above and couldnt do the hang and drop, you could bail and hang there and wait for a ladder or try to kick in a lower window. Not really what I'd want to do, but it is doable.

They've only trained us to hook to our tool, anchor it somehow and go. So its a pretty quick operation, no harnesses or fancy descenders. I don't know if I'd choose to do that or hang and drop. I really hope I don't ever have to make that decesion.

makes good girls go bad

Look up a self survival course. The one taught by FDNY BC John Salka was pretty good.
    Attend a Firehouse training conference. They ain't cheap, but well worth it.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    because ladders aren't always at the exact window you need it to be.

I'll admit I've never had to use the rope to bailout, but we've done a good amount of training with it. You can control your descent. You can even stop your descent. I was able to stop and hang for a few minutes. It wasn't fun and I wouldn't look forward to doing it, but it can be done. Its all about grip strength. If you were on the 3rd or above and couldnt do the hang and drop, you could bail and hang there and wait for a ladder or try to kick in a lower window. Not really what I'd want to do, but it is doable.

They've only trained us to hook to our tool, anchor it somehow and go. So its a pretty quick operation, no harnesses or fancy descenders. I don't know if I'd choose to do that or hang and drop. I really hope I don't ever have to make that decesion.

What system are you using that grip strength becomes an issue?

And try kicking in a window while hanging from a rope. It is not nearly as easy as it seems.

Forum Member

some pointers I was given:

anchor a halligan/hook/axe/ect in a window/door or whatever you can. Tie a rope off to that and than place the rope behind your back, and grab it with your arms so it goes along your upper back and arms to help create friction as you lower yourself down

throw your hoseline out the window and get all of it down until there's no slack left in it, than slide down that like you would a pole.

try to hang on to the ledge and lower yourself out before jumping..it'll reduce your fall a few feet.

Forum Member

Don't know if its too late to post or not. To answer your original question, there are a couple of techniques that use the body for friction.

Anchor one end of the rope and bring the other end of the rope around your waist. Squeeze the ropes together with both hands. This works with the rope in the storage bag. Loosen your grip to go. Get the rope as low as you can on your body.

Another technique was shown to me by a Dutch special forces soldier. Wrap the rope around your arm 4 or 5 times running the remianing rope behind your back. Again, your body (the arm wraps and the rope around your waist) will develop friction.

Let me also point out that both of these techniques are somewhat painful, but do work.

These are down and dirty instructions so don't get crazy and start jumping out of buildings without safely practicing!

Forum Member

The method of using the rope around your waiste and using your body as friction works great if you have no other equipment.

As mentioned above, the hoseline method also works well.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information