MembersZone Subscriber

Default Personal Responsibility is Dead

I read this story and couldn't believe it.

Tiki-torch oil kills woman and sickens five others in New Jersey
    by Angela Stewart/The Star-Ledger
    Wednesday July 02, 2008, 12:05 AM
    An 84-year-old Burlington County woman died and five other New Jersey residents were sickened in separate incidents after drinking small amounts of torch oil they mistook for apple juice, New Jersey poison control officials said yesterday.

One of those injured was an 8-year-old Bergen County girl whose lungs sustained permanent damage after she drank from a glass on the kitchen counter filled with what she thought was apple juice.

State health officials last night said they were working on sending out an electronic alert to local health officials about the incidents.

The Burlington County woman, who was not identified, died in a hospital Monday night from "complications of lung damage," said Steve Marcus, executive director of the New Jersey Poison Information & Education System. Marcus said the Burlington County Medical Examiner's Officer is investigating.

"Somebody poured the drink for her thinking it was apple juice," he said of the "kerosene-like" substance, which is used to light patio torches.

The other victims were from Hillsborough, Elizabeth, Paterson and Burlington County, with four of them, including the Bergen County girl, requiring hospitalization.

Marcus said the poisonings were unrelated and that a total of 13 calls have been placed to poison control officials about the oil, which comes in a clear plastic bottle that says "Tiki Torch Fuel."

All of the cases have occurred since May 25, he said.

One person mistook the oil for bottled water and tried to make coffee, but didn't get sick, Marcus said.

"I can understand easily why someone would mistake it for food. If it was on a shelf or on a table, you would have to look pretty hard," he said, although he noted the bottle has a warning label, written in both English and Spanish.

Marcus said he has alerted state health officials as well as the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the manufacturer about what he called the "look-alike" oil.

"We're trying to send out a nationwide alert," he said, urging residents to keep the oil in a locked cabinet and away from food.

According to the company's website, the oil is sold in stores including Home Depot, Kmart, Target, Lowe's and Wal-Mart.

Attempts last night to reach the Wisconsin-based manufacturer -- Lamplight Farms Inc. -- were unsuccessful.

Marcus said he has never encountered anything quite like this in years with the poison center.

"During my 40 years in medicine, you get an occasional kid who ingests kerosene, but I have never seen this kind of cluster," he said.
    Don't you think that you have a responsibility to know what you are putting in your mouth? Don't you have a responsibility to keep things like Tiki Torch Oil somewhere away from food? How could a person with the IQ of a carrot mistake lamp oil for water or apple juice? I am sure that the lawsuits are soon to follow.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

...the oil, which comes in a clear plastic bottle that says "Tiki Torch Fuel."
    Not only did they pour it as if it was a drink, but they actually DRANK IT. Didn't anyone think it tasted a little funny?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

The basic question here is how could you be stupid enough to put this stuff in a glass instead of.....oh....I don't know......perhaps the FREAKING TIKI TORCH!

I weap for the future the more I read how stupid people actually are. Now the oil company will be sued by these people with less inteligence than a paper bag. And some useless ambulance chasing attorney will make millions off of his client's own stupidity.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Not only did they pour it as if it was a drink, but they actually DRANK IT. Didn't anyone think it tasted a little funny?
    Doesn't it smell?? (I don't know, I can't even have a BBQ at my place.)

People seem to be getting more and more stupid as time goes on. Bet some lawsuit comes out of this, too. And that will result in a label that says "Do not drink". I have a small bottle of camera lens cleaning solution and it reads something like "Do not use with contacts" or "Do not use in eyes", I forget the exact working, but you get the point.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ok. I'm willing to give a little here (Ya, I know... almost unheard of eh?) Anyhow, here's what I think. Maybe some of those who drank from the wrong container (not the glasses) were not able to actively read the lable?

SIMILARITIES: Tiki oil and apple juice are held in similar shaped containers, right? They are both slightly golden coloured, right?

DIFFERENCE: Apple juice containers ALWAYS have pictures of apples on them, right? Tiki oil containers have pictures of... What? Oil lamps? Burning torches maybe?

And yes, tiki oil does have a bit of a kerosene smell to it. Not real strong, but enough, to say "Hey! This ain't apple juice."

If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Man that was good... Can you pass me some more of that Tiki Oil? Gulp Gulp Gulp...

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have told people for years if it wasn't for stupid people, accidents and illness there would be no need for a fire department.

I agree with George in that you are responsible for what goes in your mouth. Honestly, how do you not know that what you are drinking is not apple juice?

Of course lawsuits will follow because there is no one who is responsible for anything that they do or anything that happens to them anymore. It is a crying shame that this country has sunk that low and shows no sign of reversing the trend.

MembersZone Subscriber

The good news is that because of people like this we will always have a job. The Bad news is . . . . . . I can't like of anything bad news off the top of my head.

Hey dumbass! Here's a paper clip. Go stick in a light socket! Hurt like hell didn't it? Don't do it again. If you do, well . . . . . Thin the herd.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Certainly does give credence to some of Darwins theories doesn't it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Certainly does give credence to some of Darwins theories doesn't it?

Now we know why the Martians turned back when they came here looking for intelligent life.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Intelli... what? ??
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yep!.............

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Intelli... what? ??

Hey Cheffie...... Rick just proved your point.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I have told people for years if it wasn't for stupid people, accidents and illness there would be no need for a fire department.

I agree with George in that you are responsible for what goes in your mouth. Honestly, how do you not know that what you are drinking is not apple juice?

Of course lawsuits will follow because there is no one who is responsible for anything that they do or anything that happens to them anymore. It is a crying shame that this country has sunk that low and shows no sign of reversing the trend.
    I totally agree as well. I'm not accountable for my stupidity so I will sue you who didn't tell me not to drink this stuff. Just like the guy who sued McDonalds because he was not warned that the coffee he ordered was hot and could burn him!!! MY GOD PEOPLE!!!!! WTF??

No, oil would not smell like apples!!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post

Now we know why the Martians turned back when they came here looking for intelligent life.
    Who said they turned back?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, It looks like there were a few unrelated instances of this all in Burlington County. I gotta get the F out of here, there's something in the water..

In once instance, I could see that if someone poured this stuff into a glass and then walked away then a kid may confuse it with juice.. but seriously.. why would anyone pour fuel into a drinking glass?

Another instance the lady was 84.. who knows what her mental state was. I could see someone with dementia coming home from the grocery store and putting the stuff in the refrigerator and then using it like it was juice.

One question: How do you get lung damage from drinking it?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Disillusioned Subscriber

One person mistook the oil for bottled water and tried to make coffee, but didn't get sick, Marcus said.
    I'll bet that was a "YouTube" moment if the stuff reached it's flash point.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information