Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Global Warming Nonsense

Read this story closely and tell me if it passes scientific muster. It appears to me that the press will print any story advancing global warming-even it is scientifically unsustainable.

Plasma, LCDs blamed for accelerating global warming
    Posted Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:41pm AEST
    Updated Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:52pm AEST

Almost half of the televisions sold around the globe so far this year have been plasma or LCD TVs.

But this boom could be coming at a huge environmental cost.

The gas, widely used in the manufacture of flat screen TVs, is estimated to be 17,000 times as powerful as carbon dioxide.

Ironically, NF3 is not covered by the Kyoto protocol as it was only produced in tiny amounts when the treaty was signed in 1997.

Levels of this gas in the atmosphere have not been measured, but scientists say it is a concern and are calling for it to be included in any future emissions cutting agreement.

Professor Michael Prather from the University of California has highlighted the issue in an article for the magazine New Scientist.

He has told ABC's The World Today program that output of the gas needs to be measured.

"One of my titles for this paper was Going Below Kyoto's Radar. It's the kind of gas that's made in huge amounts," he said.

"Not only is it not in the Kyoto Treaty but you don't even have to report it. That's the part that worries me."

He estimates 4,000 tons of NF3 will be produced in 2008 and that number is likely to double next year.

"We don't know what's emitted, but what they're producing every year dwarfs these giant coal-fired power plants that are like the biggest in the world," he said.

"And it dwarfs two of the Kyoto gases. So the real question we don't know is how much is escaping and getting out."

Dr Paul Fraser is the chief research scientist at the CSIRO's marine and atmospheric research centre, and an IPCC author.

He says without measuring the quantity of NF3 in the atmosphere it is unclear what impact it will have on the climate.

"We haven't observed it in the atmosphere. It's probably there in very low concentrations," he said.

"The key to whether it's a problem or not is how much is released to the atmosphere."
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Sounds like Professor Prather is looking for a grant to waste more of our tax money. If it was not for the Universities some people would actually have to work for a living. You know like figuring out why people get mad while playing tennis, or some other worth while study.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a further aside on global warming, Obama, a bunch of US Mayors and others on the tree hugger side now want to ban oil from Albertas Tar Sands as they have a bigger carbon footprint than "conventional oil" At this point in time, the tar sands contribute 13% to US oil imports, by 2015, it will be 25%. Also you in the US don't have to worry about an unstable govt deciding to quit exporting to US. Just imagine cost of a gallon of gas if Alberta has to ship oil to west coast and on to China instead of US. Do some of these people live on the same planet as the rest of us?
    Keep in mind that conventional oil, be it from Mexico, Venezuela, Iraq or Saudi may have a smaller carbon footprint but it maybe that its mixed with blood.

Angry Biproduct of northbound end of southbound mule

Plasma, LCDs blamed for accelerating global warming
    Posted Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:41pm AEST
    Updated Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:52pm AEST

Almost half of the televisions sold around the globe so far this year have been plasma or LCD TVs.

But this boom could be coming at a huge environmental cost.

The gas, widely used in the manufacture of flat screen TVs, is estimated to be 17,000 times as powerful as carbon dioxide. . . .Levels of this gas in the atmosphere have not been measured, but scientists say it is a concern and are calling for it to be included in any future emissions cutting agreement.

Professor Michael Prather from the University of California has highlighted the issue in an article for the magazine New Scientist.

He has told ABC's The World Today program that output of the gas needs to be measured.

"One of my titles for this paper was Going Below Kyoto's Radar. It's the kind of gas that's made in huge amounts," he said.

"Not only is it not in the Kyoto Treaty but you don't even have to report it. That's the part that worries me."

He estimates 4,000 tons of NF3 will be produced in 2008 and that number is likely to double next year.

"We don't know what's emitted, but what they're producing every year dwarfs these giant coal-fired power plants that are like the biggest in the world," he said.

"And it dwarfs two of the Kyoto gases. So the real question we don't know is how much is escaping and getting out."

Dr Paul Fraser is the chief research scientist at the CSIRO's marine and atmospheric research centre, and an IPCC author.

He says without measuring the quantity of NF3 in the atmosphere it is unclear what impact it will have on the climate.

"We haven't observed it in the atmosphere. It's probably there in very low concentrations," he said.

"The key to whether it's a problem or not is how much is released to the atmosphere."

This is plain old "Mule Fritters" to quote that great American sage Col. Sherman T. Potter. I agree it is nothing more than someone looking for a grant. I think these people just look at what people enjopy and find a way to say it is bad for the enviorment so they can scare money out of the politicians and foundations.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

I have been under the impression for years that all of the global warming, or "save the planet" supporters are actually trying to use the feeling of guilt created by these "problems" to make people feel better when they pay higher taxes, fines, or fees. Of course, all of the increases in revenue from taxes, fines, and fees usually go towards funding more "research" by those who declared it a problem.
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Al Gore's personal home is what is causing global warming!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

"We don't know what's emitted, but what they're producing every year dwarfs these giant coal-fired power plants that are like the biggest in the world,"
    WTF?

Calling Al Gore, where are you Al Gore. I know burning of fossil fuels is killing the ozone, but the ice age ended before we started driving cars.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    WTF?

Calling Al Gore, where are you Al Gore.

He is too busy fighting global warming by globe trotting in private jets to accept environmental awards. He is also too busy criss-crossing our great nation in the same private jets stumping for Obama.

One must love his continued hypocracy.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Oh...right...absolutely no truth whatsoever to that whole 'global warming' thing. Just those damn tree huggers spouting nonsensical nonsense.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080628...c_080628162607

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.c...l-warming.html
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Emberxx View Post
    Oh...right...absolutely no truth whatsoever to that whole 'global warming' thing. Just those damn tree huggers spouting nonsensical nonsense.

No one ever said that the earth is not going through a period where the temperatures are getting warmer. I will concede that it is.

What is utter nonsense is that we caused it and that we can do anything to prevent it or change its course.

What is even a bigger pile of crap is that, specifically, the United States is the chief offender.

See if Paul the Spud can come up with any evidence to support those theories.

I agree with George. How much is Human linked? No way to be sure, probably a fair amount.

For instance, bovine flatulence contributes a significant amount of "greenhouse gasses" to the environment. Part of that from cattle in the western societies being fed corn which a bovine G.I. System is not made to digest so it produces a lot more gas. The almighty U.N. has released studies of this.

China and India are two hugely growing economies which are dramatically increasing their own carbon emissions - with China having at least 1 new coal-fired power plant on line each week......And China has little environmental policy or laws in place.

Our own nation, who is supposedly full of environmentally friendly people decries "green" power when it is anywhere near them. My case in point being Cape Wind off of Cape Cod, MA. We have as many sof-professed tree-hugging hypocrites here showing their NIMBY attitude about putting wind turbines in the water because they might see the little strobe light on top of the turbine on a picture-perfect crystal-clear night. So they have fought it in the courts for YEARS increasing the overall cost of the power plants. So who might be against this? The almoghty Senator Ted Kennedy, his nephew and supposed "ardent" environmentalist Robert Kennedy Jr., David MucCullough (the author of 1776 and several other historical novels), and a large contingent of extremely wealthy individuals who would rather have it put where their blue blood would not be offended.

There is a combination of factors affecting the climate, but the environmental crowd will not seem to acknowledge this and it is all human based. And the scientific community is not exactly at one might call a concensus on this matter either.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I agree with George. How much is Human linked? No way to be sure, probably a fair amount.

For instance, bovine flatulence contributes a significant amount of "greenhouse gasses" to the environment. Part of that from cattle in the western societies being fed corn which a bovine G.I. System is not made to digest so it produces a lot more gas. The almighty U.N. has released studies of this.

China and India are two hugely growing economies which are dramatically increasing their own carbon emissions - with China having at least 1 new coal-fired power plant on line each week......And China has little environmental policy or laws in place.

Our own nation, who is supposedly full of environmentally friendly people decries "green" power when it is anywhere near them. My case in point being Cape Wind off of Cape Cod, MA. We have as many sof-professed tree-hugging hypocrites here showing their NIMBY attitude about putting wind turbines in the water because they might see the little strobe light on top of the turbine on a picture-perfect crystal-clear night. So they have fought it in the courts for YEARS increasing the overall cost of the power plants. So who might be against this? The almoghty Senator Ted Kennedy, his nephew and supposed "ardent" environmentalist Robert Kennedy Jr., David MucCullough (the author of 1776 and several other historical novels), and a large contingent of extremely wealthy individuals who would rather have it put where their blue blood would not be offended.

There is a combination of factors affecting the climate, but the environmental crowd will not seem to acknowledge this and it is all human based. And the scientific community is not exactly at one might call a concensus on this matter either.
    The tree-huggers would have you believe that the scientific community is lock-step in agreement on this issue. Nothing could be further from the truth.

My favorite point in this debate when they start talking about a crisis is that the earth has been around for tens of thousands of years, at least. Yet, we have only been collecting climatological data for a tiny fraction of that time. Under any scientific standard, there is insufficient data to opine about anything.

Kind of like investigating a house fire while sitting in your car.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Let's see....the world's total population in 1900 was 1.6 Billion. Today's estimate is about 6.6 Billion. I wonder what the carbon footprint for an additional 5 Billion exhaling and flatulent people would be?

The UN study was faulty, Shark because while they considered the effect of bovine flatulence, they failed to consider the presence of the millions of bison that had been present prior to the surge in the bovine population. I'd bet the difference wouldn't be all that much. I'll also bet you could get some federal money to do a study though.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, but what was dinosaur flatulence like?

Harve, weren't you around then?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Harve, weren't you around then?

Nice one George........But you can't be all that far behind Harve........Besides, Harve is still feeling.......shall we say.......FRISKAY as mentioned in a few other mildly hijacked threads. Better keep up with the old man.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Nice one George........But you can't be all that far behind Harve........Besides, Harve is still feeling.......shall we say.......FRISKAY as mentioned in a few other mildly hijacked threads. Better keep up with the old man.
    49 years young. And all my parts are working just fine, thank you.

Forum Member

Question Wtf?

Your second link is pretty top notch. I searched around it for about 10 seconds to find the FAQs, they completely fit my discription of normal.

My two favorates Quotes are

"Actually, douching was a terribly anti-woman practice designed to make women feel ashamed about their natural body odor. "

"QCoFM is an abbreviation for Queen *unt of *uck Mountain, which I christened myself in response to emails I'd been getting about my coarse and decidedly unladylike language"

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.c...ev.html#click3

Forum Member

Leave it to the left to declare anything that makes life easier, generates wealth, or is fun a global warming (ahh hem climate change) cause.

It is all about taxes and control. Well, taxes are control.
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I have been under the impression for years that all of the global warming, or "save the planet" supporters are actually trying to use the feeling of guilt created by these "problems" to make people feel better when they pay higher taxes, fines, or fees. Of course, all of the increases in revenue from taxes, fines, and fees usually go towards funding more "research" by those who declared it a problem.

EXACTLY!!!
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post
    EXACTLY!!!
    Even though I was in high school as recently as the early '90s, I still remember the notion that "Golbal Cooling" was going to destroy the earth because the pollution was going to block out the sun's energy.
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Thread Information