Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Is she at it again?

Does anyone remember that crazy-lady poster that said she was a Chief of her own dept?
    Donna or something?

Is she doing it again, or is this someone else?

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...5&sectionId=46

RADIUM SPRINGS, N.M. --

A Radium Springs man is unresponsive in the hospital Wednesday evening after collapsing Tuesday.

Shirley Franich said she called 911 for her husband, but the dispatcher explained there was no response from the Radium Springs volunteer department.

They instead dispatched a crew from another district.

"The response time is ridiculous," said Radium Springs resident Fawn Knull.

"In the last month there's a couple of times I'm aware of that they have not had anybody able to respond to calls," Louis Bencomo, A Las Cruces paid city firefighter and former Radium Springs volunteer firefighter.

If I'm not here I'm not here, said Radium Springs District Chief Dolores Guillen.

But those who want to volunteer said that Guillen told them they couldnt.

"I wanted to volunteer for them and they said that they've got a full staff," said Knull.

Bencomo has been denied too. "I have applied over the last 18 months. I have been turned down a number of times," he said.

But Guillen said they are incorrect.

Guillen told KFOX that certain people could join. She said, "Anyone but that one firefighter."

Members of the community claim the department is run by the fire chief's family who said they are grieving the death of the chief's husband.

"He committed suicide, shot himself, so why do you think that we want to go out anywhere right now knowing the county knows that we wouldn't be responding for a while," said the chief's daughter.

Guillen said there are 16 to 18 volunteers, but when we asked out of 16 people why no one could respond, she responded that everyone works. "It's a fact that when you make a choice to live in a rural area that is served by volunteers that response is going to be slower than if you live in an urban area where there are paid firefighters," said Jess Williams, spokesman for Dona Ana County.

He said the current paging system is in place to protect the residents.

"We start paging out the different agencies that are closest and we go in concentric circles until we've got somebody in response," said Williams.

The county says it is trying to standardize bylaws across its 16 districts. But still, some feel the problems arise with too many family members in one service.

"If they're having a family picnic or something and we have a fire what are they going to stop the picnic or wait until it's over and then show up," said Knull.

Williams said the system does work, and that an ambulance did respond. And there are some paid county firefighters in other areas where there are higher response needs.

Copyright 2007 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes....I believe she is!

I only hope the community leads a charge to address the problem within this department. A responsible and competent chief officer ensures that the department is response ready and that some form of supervision is available at all times within the community. I don't care if you run 5 calls a year or 3,000 calls a year...you have the responsibility to provide an adequate response. Just because it is a volunteer organization means that it is a free pass not to respond and that everyone should understand your situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

The lady's husband shot himself in the head. Of course its Donna.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if she would start posting again? Those were the good ol' days, huh guys?

BTW, did any of you ever get a visit from the FBI?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah,.................

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    The lady's husband shot himself in the head. Of course its Donna.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if she would start posting again? Those were the good ol' days, huh guys?

BTW, did any of you ever get a visit from the FBI?

I don't think it was the FBI, but I did get a visit from the Internet Police........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hate to blow your bubbles guys, but "Donna" was from Arizona, not New Mexico.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I doubt it is "our Donna." She/He has other problems. For those of you who never had the pleasure of knowing Donna from these and other forums, here is a little background and update.

http://firegeezer.com/category/donna/

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rayr49 View Post
    I doubt it is "our Donna." She/He has other problems. For those of you who never had the pleasure of knowing Donna from these and other forums, here is a little background and update.

http://firegeezer.com/category/donna/

Stay Safe
    IACOJ
    I don't know....this quote jumped out at me.

He often uses a different name, perhaps because of his criminal past,

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

It looks like they took their ball and went home after the story broke.

Several Volunteers Quit Radium Springs Fire Department
    Jenn Dombrowski-KFOX Las Cruces Bureau Reporter

POSTED: 6:52 pm MDT July 3, 2008
    UPDATED: 9:04 pm MDT July 3, 2008

RADIUM SPRINGS, N.M. -- Resignations at the Radium Springs Volunteer Fire Department stem from criticism against the department.

A paramedic member of the Radium Springs volunteer Fire Fepartment e-mailed KFOX a letter stating she would quit the department because of the story it aired on the problems.

According to community members, the problems center on a firefighting family of volunteers.

Radium Springs residents said volunteers have not responded recently, after a death in the family a month and a half ago, and that they have denied volunteers. Two professional firefighters are included amonst those denied.

Dona Ana County Commissioner Oscar Vasquez-Butler said he was aware of the problems.

“I don't know why they are not selecting these two particular individuals. That's something the fire marshal will have to get with the fire chief on to see what the qualifications are,” said Butler.

Fire Marshal Paul Chavez said there is a protocol to resignations within the department.

“I have the ability to appoint people in the event of resignations if the fire chief resigns. I have the ability to appoint people and there will be continued response,” said Chavez.

KFOX also asked the chief’s daughter about the resignation over the phone.

Chavez said the family has been a concern of residents, but the family structure is allowed.

“We have family members throughout Dona Ana County that volunteer within the fire stations and so nepotism is not necessarily forbidden,” said Chavez.

Butler heard about the lack of response Tuesday and said he too is asking for an investigation.

“I called up and put in a complaint for them to our public information officer Jess Willliams who will then circulate that for an investigative report or a report to me regarding what happened,” said Butler.

The commissioner said this is not the first time he has heard about problems within this particular department, and hopes there are options in the future.

“We do have some compensated firefighters. That's what I've been arguing for for the last five and a half years," said Butler.

The county fire marshal has now confirmed that all but one of the entire Guillen family has turned in resignations.

Wednesday, Guillen told KFOX she had several family members in the department.

The county fire marshal wants to assure residents they are safe and he is now in the process of assigning new volunteers.
    Radium Springs story

Video link to story

The person on the left is the Radium Springs Chief (unless she is one of those that resigned) and the one on the right is good ol' Donna aka Fred.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Steamer; 07-04-2008 at 01:27 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Default Watching Donna

No, that bunch of looneys in New Mexico is NOT Donna (real name Frederick Renan Cross). Donna/Freddie is a one-weirdo act whose band of firefighters exists only in his mind.

If you have been following his exploits on my website (http://firegeezer.com) then you know that he recently packed up and left Seligman, Arizona, after selling off what he could of his firefighting equipment.

But he hasn't gone too far. He's currently camped out in Kingman, Arizona. We have folks keeping an eye on him.

Firegeezer

Forum Member

Speaking of fakes, I haven't heard anything about Doug Copp in a long time...

Lightbulb Uh Huh..............

Quote Originally Posted by cowbucks06 View Post
    Speaking of fakes, I haven't heard anything about Doug Copp in a long time...
    You kicking a sleeping Dog?.............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Damn...my bubble is bursted....Anyway, it appears that the community and the county is stepping in to address the problem and hopefully the department can move forward.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
    Damn...my bubble is bursted....Anyway, it appears that the community and the county is stepping in to address the problem and hopefully the department can move forward.
    Yeah, mine too.

But lets find one positive about this FD.

The Chiefs election wasn't a beauty contest.

Forum Member

Default George!!!

D@m It George.

I just took a sip of beer when I came accros your comment.
    Not only did I spill beer (God Fogive Me) but it cam out my nose.
    It really does hurt.

Later

Talking Jeesh.............

Yeah, mine too.

DANG IT!!........... Coffee all over the monitor, AGAIN!..............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sorry. You guys must be mistaken. I couldn't have told a joke. A few morons on here think I am a cranky old man with no life and no sense of humor.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

But George, you are a cranky old man with no life. However, you do have and keep your sense of humour in your back pocket, tucked in with your latest Harelquin novel.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Yeah, mine too.

That may be the case, but consider what if it had been. What were the losers like?
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

That's good to hear...wouldn't want the peeps to be without fire protection.

I'm sorry. You guys must be mistaken. I couldn't have told a joke. A few morons on here think I am a cranky old man with no life and no sense of humor.
    You shut your mouth when you talk to me!!!!

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information