MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Well Now. Dont That Beat All?

"Welcome to my Country".

More Americans moving to Canada. Numbers way up in past five years, but Canada-to-U.S. figure still higher

Randy Boswell, Canwest News Service Published: Friday, July 04, 2008

Canada is experiencing a surge in immigrants from the United States, according to a Fourth of July analysis of demographic data that spotlights cross-border migration between the two countries -- including the "province-size" population of more than 850,000 Canadian-born residents of the U.S.

The numbers, compiled by the Montreal-based Association for Canadian Studies to mark the U.S. Independence Day holiday, show the inflow of Americans during the 2001-2006 census period was nearly 39,000 -- well above the 24,155 during the previous five-year period and more than double the 18,770 who came to Canada between 1991 and 1996.

ACS executive director Jack Jedwab says the increase appears to stem from Canada's stronger economic performance in recent years relative to the U.S.

"I think there may be a sense in the U.S. that Canada is offering more interesting economic opportunities," he said. "The brains are draining both ways."

But while Canada may be "narrowing the gap" in cross-border migrations, says Jedwab, "our net loss is still very big."

That's because a report earlier this year by Statistics Canada revealed that, each year between 2000 and 2004, an average of about 68,900 Canadians moved south of the border.

In fact, notes the ACS study, the steady southward stream of emigrants to the U.S. over the decades has created a community of Canadian-born Americans bigger than the population of New Brunswick, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

What'd Bugs Bunny say? "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

**I guess my sister would be a wee small part of that 68k who moved south. Actually I think she was part of an "advance party" in the mid 90's but its all 'relative' eheheheehe.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 07-04-2008 at 10:01 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Must be that universal healthcare!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information