Forum Member

Default Our Own Gonzo Make Statements to the Press

Imagine my surprise when I was leading the local rag yesterday and found our Own CaptainGonzo making a name for himself in the newspaper. Not often I see it and it just caught my attention.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2008...38/1008/NEWS02

Lightning starts house fire

No one hurt in Barnard Rd. blaze

By Edward J. Canty TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    ecanty@telegram.com

MARLBORO— Lightning from a severe thunderstorm yesterday caused a two-alarm fire, damaging a home on Barnard Road and displacing the family.

Deputy Fire Chief Ronald Ayotte said the blaze caused an estimated $130,000 to 27 Barnard Road. No one was hurt and a family pet that had been reported missing was found unharmed, he said.

Joseph P. Feeney and his family were identified by Deputy Chief Stanley P. Clement as those displaced.

The deputy said lightning hit the attic and the strike was spotted by a neighbor who alerted the family. The Fire Department was notified at 5:14 p.m.

The first engine company on the scene reported heavy fire coming from the attic and immediately called for a second alarm. At that point, three engine companies, a ladder company, the rescue squad and deputy chief’s car responded to the call. All of the department’s other resources were tied up investigating fire alarm activations, most of them in the east end of the city, that were triggered by the storm.

The Hudson Fire department responded on the second alarm with a tower ladder and an engine company. Southboro, Northboro and Sudbury each sent an engine company to cover Marlboro’s three stations.

Deputy Clement said the blaze was under control in 40 to 45 minutes. Deputy Ayotte said firefighters conducted an aggressive interior attack to limit fire damage to the attic area. Fire crews also opened walls and ceilings to search for possible hidden fire.

The lower floors had water damage. Firefighters covered items to prevent further damage to contents.

Deputy Ayotte estimated fire damage at $100,000 for the structure and $30,000 for the contents.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up

Deputy Ayotte said firefighters conducted an aggressive interior attack to limit fire damage to the attic area. Fire crews also opened walls and ceilings to search for possible hidden fire.
    I forget who's avatar it is that reads something like "Fire and smoke damage, $5000.00. Damage from water and FD.... $50,000" or something like that.

Good job on the save though, guys!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh Oh!
    The price of Gonzo's autograph just increased!

Good save, folks!
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

How do you estimate $130K?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Would you prefer 'wild guess' George? At least that's what we have to do with our fire reports. I'm not a builder, nor an interior decorator. But I have to put down a value. Oh well, if it keeps them happy.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And..............

There was a remark there about the FD "covering items to prevent further damage". From the looks of the photo in the Newspaper, they also covered the owner. And, is that our own Deputy Gonz appearing in the photo, just beyond the homeowner??.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Negative. That was the Lt. of Engine 2.

The funny part was... I didn't speak to the Telegram and Gazzette. I did speak with a reporter fromt he MetroWest Daily News and the cameraman from WFXT-TV.

The information about the fire in the T&G was directly from the press release I wrote (I wear another hat in my FD.. as the PIO).

The estimate of the damage was done by E2's Lt., who also happens to be one of our two fire investigators.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Gonzo owes ice cream!!!!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfirie View Post
    Would you prefer 'wild guess' George? At least that's what we have to do with our fire reports. I'm not a builder, nor an interior decorator. But I have to put down a value. Oh well, if it keeps them happy.

No. I have tried to figure out for a long time how the FD got roped into giving out $ estimates of damage. I've beena FI for a long, long time and I would never even dream of giving out such information. Here's why (and this in a general sense, not specifically in Gonzo's case).

FD goes to job and estimates that the damage is $X and releases that info to the press. Insurance co. experts come in and say the loss is worth 1/2 $X. Homeowner goes to court demanding $X because the FD said that is how much the loss was worth.

Please understand that I am not putting you down, Gonz. The media info was actually very good in this case. Shows you guys have a plan for handling the media and that you had competent people giving out that info. This is just one issue that has always bugged me, considering that alot of FD's do exactly the same thing.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I had never really thought about the "estimated damage" assessment until now, and it brings an interesting point. Although I sort of accepted that the FD made a suggested loss/damage evaluation, I always figured that the final assessment would come from the occupants insurance company, the same as would a car insurance adjuster.

Get into a car accident and some guy comes along a few days later and gives his assessment. Repair is based on that assessment, right? Would it not be the same for a fire damaged building, even though the FD gave a "professional opinion"? We are not certified insurance adjusters, so why would our assessment have any weight?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Union bylaws, Gonz...
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Union bylaws, Gonz...
    I made the announcement of the house PA that I was making a Diary Queen run... didn't you guys hear it?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

That is at the very least, Dilly bars around the horn!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information