Forum Member

Default Florida Wildfire Season '08

Anyone go to the fires this year as part of a task force? Curious what people thought of the way assignments were handled as opposed to other years. I was unable to go because I was on duty but I have heard a lot of complaints from guys here and at other departments who were part of TF8 about staging all day while the bros from Brevard got beat down without a rest day after day. BLSboy, I think I remember you saying you were there.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Anyone go to the fires this year as part of a task force? Curious what people thought of the way assignments were handled as opposed to other years. I was unable to go because I was on duty but I have heard a lot of complaints from guys here and at other departments who were part of TF8 about staging all day while the bros from Brevard got beat down without a rest day after day. BLSboy, I think I remember you saying you were there.
    I went on strike team 1914. I feel, that a vollies, and non busy career depts, we kinda got shiity assignments, but I was assigned to a BCFR Engine crew anyway. Typically, we do structural protection only, and 9 times out of 10, spend most time in rehab, so when the chance came to go out and play, I jumped at it.

There is no doubt, that Command used BCFR crews way more then out of towners. But, they also gave the out of towners day assignments, for the most part.

If they were at the Malabar Fires, I didn't see much sitting around at staging. During "shift change", and mandated rehab periods, but thats about it.

I went one time as a firefighter, and another as a Medic student.

Since there were 3 potentially catastrophic fires going at the same time, it was harder to get outside mutual aid in to all areas.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    \

There is no doubt, that Command used BCFR crews way more then out of towners.
    Which was the major problem a lot of guys seem to have had, along with a ****ing match between Malabar and someone else up there over territory. I heard from a lot of guys I know(from different depts here and up north) that command beat the crap out of the BCFR crews to the point that they were carrying each other to the engines while out of town crews were ordered to stay put, even though communities were burning less than a mile away and no BCFR units were anywhere around. I talked to an old fire school buddy in Jacksonville who said they followed BCFR around and saved homes BCFR wrote off because command anyone from staging and BCFR
    was spread to thin to do any good. Please note that this is not at all a dig on the brothers from BCFR and local FD's, just on how the fires were run. On another note, all said support services/logistics did a top notch job and there was never a shortage of supplies.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thread Information