Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question Volunteer Paging

i did a search and couldn't really find what i was looking for so here we go..

my dept uses alphanumeric paging for both emergency and non emergency notifications. many times the pages take minutes to go through, sometimes won't go through at all, until hours later. it is ran through a private company but on a commercial system.

we were looking at other means of notification. voice pagers are one way, but the cost is something we simply can not afford.

has anyone ever used cell phones/home phones "mass calling" as a means of notification? for example dispatch calls the call out, your phone rings, you answer and hear the recording.. does something like this exist? or the same for text messages? we could use this with the alphanumeric as a backup.

any help would be greatly appreciated. sometimes our response time is critically too slow dueto these paging systems. thanks in advance.

Forum Member

We used to have a system like that in my town many years ago.
    The phone would ring at the volunteer's homes and the dispatcher would alert them of the fire. That day is behind most departments.

Some small towns still sound the tornado sirens or bells to alert volunteers of fires.

Our department is great because we have a 800mhz radio system and our old 400mhz radio's as backups.

Forum Member

Post volunteer paging

I know one way that paging was done back in the day before alphanumeric paging and voice pagers was dispatch would call one person (i.e. The Chief) and give the dispatch info (21 east 14th st, 71yom chest pains). that person would be responsible for calling a certain ammount of people in the dept. (i.e. 3 people) and each of those 3 would be responsible for calling a certain ammount of people say 3 each. and so on and so on. so realistically you could have approx 30 people called (if they answer there phones) within just a min or two. in the time now where almost everyone these days have cell phones this should not be a problem getting a hold of someone to run the call. most cell phones only ring for about 15 seconds before they go to voice mail so if you have 3 people on your list than all 3 calls with a voice mail message should be about 1.5min. I dont know how big your dept. is, but this is something to think about. let me know how it goes.

truckie4life

Never Forget a Fallen Brother

Forum Member

There is paging software out there that would allow you or some authorized within the company that could send out pages for non-emergencies. We used to used it in our firehouse, but now we have our EOC or fire marshall's office send out the pages for non-emergencies. Emergency pages come directly from the EOC.

There is also software that would allow you to receive pages on your cell phone as text messages. I will try to get the name for both. We have implemented it yet, but hopefully in the next month or so.

I hope this helps.

Forum Member

We use RSAN as a text paging for non emergency. It can override all cell traffic to send its message.

We use a voice pager Minotor III & also text messaging through http://www.codemessaging.com/. Give em a look. I can't remember how much it is for code messaging.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

You are asking for trouble relying on cell phones or commercial paging for incident paging. Bad idea.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I agree.

Relying on commercial cell towers and competing for tower time like everyone else is asking for trouble. There is no back up system, there is no priority given to you public safety either.

Your best bet is to research grants or convince your citzen government that you need a radio paging system.....your own paging system dedicated to you. Sure, you can have other city units on the same system too or maybe consolidate with one or more of your neighbors. I have seen some governments borrow cash for the system or cash in bonds they had to purchase it. You can also sell it to them as a firefighter safety issue and a public safety issue too. Check with your 911 dispatch center or PSAP. They gotta have some sort of system, even if it is a campfire and a rug.

Just can't rely on a private company like that.
    That is just the same as relying on U-Haul to supply your trucks when there is a call.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Personally, I prefer the EOC sending all of our pages.

Forum Member

Our station was the first volly station (of 30 or so) in the county to ditch the siren. The motor burned up on the siren so we just bargained for enough pagers for all riding members. There was much rejoicing from the neighbors to the firehouse.

MembersZone Subscriber

For a fire service application, it's going to affect your ISO's if you use a common carrier for paging.

I manage communications for a Hospital. For our life safety paging, (code Blue & fire) we do it all in house, with redundant transmitters and a Zetron terminal. We can reach the Zetron terminal from any PC on site via an application called PageGate. In the unlikely event the network is down, there is still a dumb terminal to directly access the Zetron.

As a side note, the PageGate also does: SMS and text messages pagers, mobile phones, blackberry and other wireless devices for secondary alerting. It does this via internet and can be configured with a fail-over modem in case the internet connection is unavailable.

Hold on there. Lets don't kick the fire bar out the window just yet(the phone system rining all volly homes)

I work for the local telco and still maintain the fire bar/phones as a secondary dispatch source.

Just this pat spring our 911 dispatch center took a lighting hit and they could not page any of the departments for about 4 weeks.
    They would call the old fire phone and away we go.

Old technology may be old but it is still reliable, the phone CO always has power.

Forum Member

Good chance if this gentlemen are looking into these options..... he probably doesn't have many others.

There are many rural areas that do not have government financed centralized dispatch as an option.

Would bet a six-pack that this is more than likely the situation here.

What I don't understand about the phone ringdown thing.... What good is it if you aren't sitting around in your house?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bjlffire View Post
    Hold on there. Lets don't kick the fire bar out the window just yet(the phone system ringing all volly homes)

I work for the local telco and still maintain the fire bar/phones as a secondary dispatch source.
    bjlffire, What's the CO? All of the bigger LEC's have dropped Emergency Conference Service or fire call (FIREBAR) service as soon the local PUC would let them.

If they have the trunking at the Station or Dispatch, there are a few systems that can outdial to 24+ number at once One of them is made by Confer. I'm pretty sure Waitsfield, Vermont did this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by asstchief700 View Post
    my dept uses alphanumeric paging for both emergency and non emergency notifications. many times the pages take minutes to go through, sometimes won't go through at all, until hours later. it is ran through a private company but on a commercial system.
    asstchief - Your PM e-mail feature is off / PM me. I have the info you need on my desk at work.

MembersZone Subscriber

we still have the firebar in some of our member's houses, the company we have is verizon, although around here most of the time a tin can and a string is better than the phone service we get!

We used the "Fire Phone" many years ago. We even bought the upgrade that linked our phones to our radios (we could transmit & receive phone calls through the radio). This new upgrade worked some of the time.

After this, we upgraded to low-band pagers and eventually to high-band. Thank goodness for technology.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Out here in the boonies, they ditched the siren and pagers age's ago. We are all issued a radio that can also work as a pager. This is common for our area. But most people also respond in there own vehicles, so they can call back to the base to let people know what's going on.

MembersZone Subscriber

In these boonies we have the Motorolla Minitor V now. We did use the fire phones for years before that. The phone company set up 12 numbers that would ring the phones with rapid rings when the fire number was called. We would then page our own fire fighters or set off the siren at the station. We kept the system up until the telco told us that they would no longer support it. Just a question, but our county went to a central dispatch with repeaters. Have you approached the surrounding fire departments to see if you can get on there system? You can buy the used audio pagers fairly cheap to get started.

Thread Information