Smile firefighter jobs

hi my name is dan and i am very interested in becomming a career firefighter,

i was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me with some information on which fire departments in the country hire the most. Thanks so much, Dan

Forum Member

A lot of places require that you have lived 1 year in the state before you apply, and also may require you to have state certs in that state. I would look into your local departments. Maybe join a volunteer department if you have them in your state.

Forum Member

I really don't think you should move to a part of the country based on who hires the most people. If city X hires 100 firefighters a year but there are 10,000 applicants your odds of getting on is 1:100, while city Y may only hire 50 firefighters a year but with only 1,000 applicants for those positions your odds are 1:20. So while in city X you have to be 99 percentile in city Y you can get on with 95 percentile.

Then comes the question how good those 10,000 or 1,000 applicants are. In city X every warm body might fill out an application while city Y is full of smart fit eager young studs ready for action. So it might be easier to be 99 percentile in city X than beating 95 in city Y.

Let's not forget about cost of living in different cities and obviously different compensation. You might also want to think about how convenient travel will be to visit family if you're close to them. You also have to consider how much fun/enjoyment you would get outside of your job in the particular city. It's probably a lot different living in Miami, FL or Denver, CO or heaven forbid (no offense) El Paso, TX.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, Dan, It all depends on where you live or more importantly where you want to live. I recommend searching through websites for job postings (911hotjobs). Many fire departments don't require any kind of formal training except for your high school diploma.

Many others ask for EMT, Paramedic, or sometimes Fire training. Your best bet is to contact some local agencies and ask what they require. A good rule of thumb is usually the larger the department the less they require, usually because they will put you through there own academy, which will typically include fire and ems training.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

MembersZone Subscriber

The better way to approach becomming a firefighter is to determine where you want to work and live. Once you accomplish this, contact the department and find out when they will be giving their next examination. Also, find out the minimum requirements and set out a plan to meet the requirements. Remember, these are the MINIMUM requirements.

Take the time to knock on the door of the department where you want to work. Talk to the newest hired firefighter. He or she can best tell you what it will take to reach your goals.
    Respectfully,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Become a veteran of the Military. Trust Me that is the BEST way to become a Professional Firefighter. College helps but not nearly as much as veteran status.
    Its like the airline industry or Law enforcement....They LOVE vets.
    Just join the service (i was a firefighter in the A.F.) and when you get out...Start testing.
    Note, Get your Medic or Intermediate cert also.
    In Ohio those are equally valuable (point wise) on the final score part of your test. Both usually get you an additional 5%.
    Military gets you 20%.
    Not sure about your state.

MembersZone Subscriber

While I completely agree that military men and women make excellent firefighters, I would think twice about joining the military because you ultimately want to become a municipal firefighter. I am all for joinging the military, but not for those reasons.
    For the record, if I were 18 I would join the military and go to Iraq. That's just the way I am wired.
    If you are interested in becomming a firefighter, explore all of your options and make an educated decision.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Thread Information