MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Skinny Dippers Threaten Water Source

Hmmm....

WATER QUALITY. Skinny Dippers Threaten Drinking Water
    Two Cited For Trespassing

POSTED: 8:51 am EDT July 1, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:59 am EDT July 1, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Two people skinny dipping during a stretch of particularly hot weather nearly cost Portland millions of gallons of drinking water.

Two people were caught Saturday around 3 a.m. skinny dipping in a reservoir that provides most of Portland's drinking water, authorities said.

Portland Water Bureau officials said Ryan Langsdorf, 28, and Ashley Moyer, 23, were cited on trespassing charges after swimming in Mount Tabor Reservoir 6, reported television station KPTV in Portland.

Officials said the accused skinny dippers were found in a part of the reservoir that had been offline. Had it been in use at the time, the Water Bureau would have been forced to shut off the reservoir and consider dumping millions of gallons of water.

City officials took the same precaution earlier this year when a gallon of latex paint, a construction cone and hundreds of fliers were tossed in the reservoir.

Water bureau administrator David Shaff called the skinny dipping a "foolish act" that threatened the cleanliness of Portland's drinking water. He also said the swimmers could have drowned because of extremely cold water temperatures and a difficult rescue situation.

People who live in the area said the latest incident is part of a bigger concern.

"I felt all along they should cover it because I feel like it's a target for terrorists pouring some poison in," said Susan Spann, of Portland. "It wouldn't be detected until half of Portland is poisoned."

Officials were adamant in saying that it would be tough to poison 22 million gallons of water to the point where people would be affected.

However, new federal regulations will require cities to cover or bury their water supplies. Cities must have an approved plan by January 2009, which means it will take a few more years to see the changes.

In the meantime, Portland residents said something needs to be done.

"There are cameras around here, but security guards can only get here so quick," said Travis Turner, who lives in the area. "It does kind of worry me."

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report

"I felt all along they should cover it because I feel like it's a target for terrorists pouring some poison in," said Susan Spann, of Portland. "It wouldn't be detected until half of Portland is poisoned."
    Officials were adamant in saying that it would be tough to poison 22 million gallons of water to the point where people would be affected.
    HOWEVER:

Officials said the accused skinny dippers were found in a part of the reservoir that had been offline. Had it been in use at the time, the Water Bureau would have been forced to shut off the reservoir and consider dumping millions of gallons of water.

City officials took the same precaution earlier this year when a gallon of latex paint, a construction cone and hundreds of fliers were tossed in the reservoir.

So, if it is to large an area to be a potential threat from poison, why is it such a big deal for two skinny dippers? I am not agreeing that they should have been swimming in the resevoir to begin with, but I am failing to understand how two persons is a greater danger than potentially pouring a toxin into the water.

The message as I read it:

"Don't worry about terrorists pouring poison in the water - they can't hurt you that way. However, do not swim in it, you may cause millions to get sick."

Disillusioned Subscriber

Soooooo, if you're a terrorist and you can't get enough poison on site to make the water toxic, just have a few of your "friends" go skinny dipping in the water supply, and you'll make bunches of people sick.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Now was the issue that they were naked? If they had swimsuits on would it be ok?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankerhoosen View Post
    Now was the issue that they were naked? If they had swimsuits on would it be ok?

Good question. The ducks that occasionally swim in them don't wear suits! This has been an on going issue for Portland. The Feds want the city to cover them up, but the city doesn't want to cough up the millions to do it. If a terrorist really wanted to pioson Portland's, or any other, drinking supply they could easily do it from the privacy of a house by pumping it back into the water system.

MembersZone Subscriber

A better question: What does Ashley look like?

The moral of the story: Terrorists couldn't pour enough highly-concentrated poison into the lake that it would affect people, yet 1 gallon of paint is enough to cause concern?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    A better question: What does Ashley look like?
    If she can taint millions of gallons of water, does it really matter?

Thread Information