Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation Henrico VA HIRING

Henrico VA County Seeks Firefighters/ALS Providers
    Application Deadline: August 3, 2008

The Henrico County Division of Fire seeks both qualified Advanced Life Support (ALS) providers and qualified individuals to apply for Career Firefighters. The Division’s new ALS Supplemental Pay Plan leads the region in pay and benefits for ALS Firefighters. This Recruitment is ALS preferred by not required to apply.

Job Information: Engages directly in firefighting, rescue, fire prevention and education, equipment operation and maintenance, fire station maintenance, community service, training activities and the delivery of basic and advanced life support EMS functions for the Division of Fire.

Base Firefighter Salary: $39,105 Annually
    Base Firefighter/EMT Cardiac or EMT Intermediate Salary: $42,950 Annually*
    Base Firefighter/EMT Paramedic Salary: $45,011 Annually*

* Base Salary for ALS providers is effective after successfully meeting Division of Fire ALS requirements.

Henrico has an aggressive Career Development Plan. Participation in the plan will net you a 4.8% raise on years 2,4,6,8. Historically Henrico has received a cost of living raise of 4% also. This combination makes for very decent earning potential.

For EMT's this could equate to approximately $64,000 after 8 years
    For PM's this could equate to approximately $74,000 after 8 years
    Intermediates fall some where in the middle.

To sum up you get a 8.8% raise every other year until year 8 of employment, not going to find many jobs with that kind of earning potential out there.

ALS Supplemental Pay Plan Information:

• ALS providers meeting the Division’s guidelines may receive the ALS Supplement pay outlined below within the first year of employment after meeting all requirements.
    • Virginia Certified EMT-Intermediate/Cardiac Technicians may receive a 4-step pay increase (approximately 9.6%) over base salary.
    • Virginia Certified or Nationally Registered EMT-Paramedics may receive a 6-step pay increase (approximately 14.4%) over base salary.

Other Benefits:

• Aggressive Career Development Program which affords the opportunity to earn additional financial rewards.
    • Tuition Reimbursement Program
    • The Division will provide ALS Continuing Education Units.
    • Participant in both the Virginia Retirement System and LEOS (Law Enforcement Officer’s Supplement) Program.
    • ALS Supplemental Pay is included as part of base pay and VRS retirement calculations.

Additional Information:
    • For detailed job description information, visit www.henricojobs.com
    • ALL applications must be completed on-line at www.henricojobs.com
    • For more information, visit our website at www.henricofire.org
    • For more information, call the Henrico Fire Recruitment Line Toll Free at 1-866-4 HFD JOB (1-866-443-3562) or 804-501-4913 (Local calls).

Henrico County does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.

Forum Member

Does Henrico Co. include Richmond the city or is it the surrounding area?? I'm not too familiar with VA that far south. Also how many do they plan on hiring? Any word on past tests, how fast they process things or anything else that could give a brother some info?

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Does Henrico Co. include Richmond the city or is it the surrounding area?? I'm not too familiar with VA that far south. Also how many do they plan on hiring? Any word on past tests, how fast they process things or anything else that could give a brother some info?
    Henrico County is a seperate department that is on the northern, western and eastern borders of the Richmond. As most Cities in Virignia, Richmond is an independant city and is not part of any county. Chesterfield borders the south borders of the city and they may be taking apps too.

From what I was told last week, Richmond is still using the current list and will hire maybe 2 or 3 classes off of it before it expires. They have a lot of firefighters leaving under the drop plan this year.

They do make mutual runs and are all part of the metro operations for rescue, and haz mat.

They move pretty fast once the app's are in and testing moves fair quick to. Probably from what I was told they may hire as many as 50 or more off the new list.

They have a study guide as well. You need to contact them at the links provides.

Good Luck!! BRO!

K

MembersZone Subscriber

FWIW...

I investigated a warehouse fire in Henrico, VA in the spring. From what I can see, this is a very squared away and professional FD. I was very impressed.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    From what I was told last week, Richmond is still using the current list and will hire maybe 2 or 3 classes off of it before it expires. They have a lot of firefighters leaving under the drop plan this year.
    I know this is off topic of Henrico but, did you here this from a credible source? Capt. Williams from RFD told me 2 months ago that there would only be 1 more hire off the current list for a academy starting Jan. '09

This is great news if they are hiring more than 1 more class off this list!

Forum Member

Default Overview of the richmond Area

Richmond City is still working a list and has been for some time. They are a fire rescue only department. They do run ems first responce but they do not staff ambulances. EMS is handled by RAA-Richmond Ambulance Authority- who does both non emergency service as well as handle 911 EMS for the city.

Chesterfield County borders Richmond to the south and is a very large dual role fire/ems department. They had been purely ALS on their ambulance staffing, but have recently gone to tiered staffing on their buses. There are also Volunteers in the fire department as well as 4 volunteer rescue squads in the county. Chesterfield did a test this spring and due to the retirement rate will probably test again next spring. I do not think they carry a list. Their cheif just retired as well so there may be some upcoming changes.

Henrico county borders the northern half of Richmond and is also a dual role fire/ems agency. I know there are also a couple vol rescue squads and I think the county has volunteer fire as well. I think henrico does work a list so it has been a while since they have tested.

Richmond is also quite a bit cheaper to live in than northern VA. It is a metropolitan area of about 1million, and is more like a really big small town than it is a big city. There is also a big movement revitalizing the downtown area as a residential community. there have been a few high rise condos go in as well as a lot of old warehouse and commercial space converted. Richmond was also just named as honorable mention in Mens Journal as one of the best places to live in the U.S.

Henricon is very well respected and would be great places to work!

Forum Member

What are the paid hours like? Is it similar to how Prince William works (paid guys during the day and volunteers at night) or is it 24 hr staffed by paid guys and volunteers help out when and where needed? Much chance for overtime?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    What are the paid hours like? Is it similar to how Prince William works (paid guys during the day and volunteers at night) or is it 24 hr staffed by paid guys and volunteers help out when and where needed? Much chance for overtime?
    Henrico works a 56 hr work week 24 hr shifts as well as Richmond City. Its a 3 week cycle that start on a Tuesday and ends on a Wensday so you work...

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Mon, Fri, Sun, Wen.

Also they have 3 shifts...

Henrico is all career staff exluding the volunteer rescue squads within the county....... (That I know of)

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

While there are volunteers in the county, they are "county" volunteers. The volunteers don't own any stations, vehicles, or equipment. They are assigned a mini-pumper at Fire Station 5, but often ride with the career staff at the stations closest to thier homes.

There are something like 12 active volunteers in the county, so the county doesn't hesitate to advertise itself as an "all career" department.

Henrico has 20 engine companies, 5 tower ladders, 3 heavy rescues, and 11 (soon to be 12) ALS ambulances. There's also support equipment such as tankers, brush trucks, air & light vehicle, etc. The county is divided into three battalions, with a District Chief overseeing the daily operations.

There are currently 525 employees, a little less than 200 of these are ALS providers. EMT-I's get a 9% pay incentive, and EMT-P's get a 14% pay incentive. The ALS providers in stations with a medic unit generally ride it every 3-4 days, the ALS providers in non-medic stations ride the ambulance far less.

Henrico is one of the 11 state-funded regional haz-mat teams in Virginia, and is a core member of the Central Virginia Technical Rescue Team (along with Chesterfield, Richmond, and Hanover). The Dive Team also responds regularly with Richmond and Chesterfield on water rescue incidents.

All front-line engines and heavy rescues are Pierce Quantums, the towers are Dashs and Lances. The department's currently expecting delivery of a PUC for Engine 1, and Quantum pumper for Engine 6, and two new IH/PL Custom ambulances.

Let me know if you want anything else....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

UH and BoxAlarm that's great info!! Thanks a ton...that pretty much sums up everything I wanted to know

Good thing's happening

Any idea on call volume ?

I'd take a SWAG and say that call volume will be about 48,000 this year...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Good thing's happening

What is the testing process ? ie: type of test

Forum Member

Also any idea on how many they expect to apply and test?

The County HR section and the FD HR section work closely on the hiring process, and the actual written test information is kept pretty close HR folks.

There is a written test, the "real" CPAT, background checks, and interviews you must pass to move throughout the process.

As for the number that are anticipated to test, your guess is as good as mine. The numbers seem to go up-and-down from year to year. I would expect at MINIMUM there will be at least two recruit schools hired from this list.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Any word on when the written will be administered?

Good thing's happening

anybody get anything or hear anything yet ?

MembersZone Subscriber

are they still accepting applications?

Sorry, application period closed on August 3rd.

As for the others, be patient, I'm sure you'll be hearing something soon. Remember that at this point, your application is going through the county human resources department, not the fire department.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Good thing's happening

Hey,

Just wondering if any one has heard anything or have had anything come in the mail yet ?

Thread Information